I need a pep talk! [RESOLVED] ;)

itsyourthing

Hi guys!

I’m in one of those incredibly discouraged moods. Every now and again (like every other day!) I get frustrated and resentful about ‘unfairness’. I’m an unusually intelligent person, I’m considerate and kind, and I have a very strong work ethic. But, sometimes, it honestly seems that the stupid, lazy and selfish folks are the only ones who get rewarded. I know, it’s a pretty childish attitude, but every now and again it’s just gets to me. And yes, I am very blessed and lucky in the most important ways (health & family), and I try to remind myself that things have to balance in a ‘cosmic’ way, BUT REALLY, WHY CAN’T I CATCH A BREAK?!?!

So, wise forum people, how do you suggest I get past this slump of pessimism?

Don’t feel bad, we all go through that. It is not childish or immature to ask why is this world so unfair. It is a fact of life that it is, and it keeps getting more and more unfair every day as the politicians keep messing with our lives. Since there is no direct solution (well there is but I would go off on a tangent), you have to find ways to make yourself feel better. These moods are a passing thing and in a day or two or three you will feel much better about yourself and everything around you. For now, just take a deep breath, sing a song, play a game, splurge and give yourself a treat (whatever you enjoy doing, eating, new clothes, time with your spouse or kids, etc) and you will be fine. You are a good person, so don’t beat yourself up about things. Whomever you came across that put you in a bad mood is a crappy person for doing that to you and they will get whats coming to them in the long run. (I’m sure mrspanda would agree with that last part). Think positive, we’re pulling for you. 🙂

It sounds like a cliche, but ‘the grass is always greener’. Those incredibly ‘rewarded’ people you think have it all (and maybe they even tell you they have it all) might have misery and problems that you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy.

Your ‘break’ is seeing a sunrise every morning. Looking the mirror and being able to live with the person you see there, who strives to be the best they can be. Hugging a loved one who is so happy to receive that hug. Having all your fingers and toes and hands and feet and arms and legs. It’s breathing the air and taking a walk and letting the sun warm your cheeks.

Reality is only what you experience. All the rest is just an illusion and should be waved away as such.

When we come to it

We must confess that we are the possible…

We are the miraculous, the true wonders of this world

Free to choose our ends, and our new beginnings

That is when, and only when…

We come to it

Maya Angelou

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

let me tell you something i tell others in your situation…don’t sweat the small stuff there will be brighter days soon to come.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Winston Churchill

Reply to @beatcraigslist: I appreciate the kind words. I know “karma” works, and I know the funk will pass, but it surely helps to also know that some good people (like yourself, OBG, crcanny & cust0mcr3ationz) will take a few minutes to spread a little insight and cheer.

The downers come from the fact that out of all the people who viewed this, so few commented at all, but if this was an “I’ll teach you how to scam and trick folks so you make fat stacks” thread, they’d be crashing the server with replies! 🙂

Reply to @crcanny: I dig it. And as I alluded to in my OP, I wouldn’t want to ‘trade’ what I do have for anything. I honestly think sometimes I hold myself back from the “more” because I’m afraid it would be a trade - it’s too much to ask for a great family AND enough money to buy a new cell phone that actually works and maybe costs more than $14.95!

I am very thankful for what I have. And I am painfully aware that there are many who have far less - the injustice and unfairness that I occasionally feel about myself extends to all the other folks who seem to get way more chaff than wheat too. (Possibly because I’m a Libra cusp. 😉 That’s why I strive to put myself in a better position to do more for others.

Hopefully, it all works out in the end. Maya Angelou has some wonderful thoughts - she also has some real BS, but hey, who doesn’t; it’s all about the balance! 🙂

itsyourthing said: (Possibly because I'm a Libra cusp. ;) That's why I strive to put myself in a better position to do more for others.
Hey, I know how you feel. I'm a Libra myself so I have the insight in to your mind alright. Yes, you can sweat the little things to infinity and it wont help anything. I guess patience and understanding comes with age. Not only with understanding yourself, but understanding those around you. It is said that Libra is the sign with the most insight to the human experience. Well, with the experience, also comes suffering and frustration and learning how to deal with it.

About how many people have viewed this thread and how few have commented, well....all I can say is that this teaches you who are your friends, and who are your acquaintances. At least that's the way I look at it when I experience the same thing.

Reply to @beatcraigslist: Age is being generous with the wrinkles and sagging so far; patience, not so much.

I’m not steamed that ‘not enough people cared about me’ to comment. I’m glad that you and the others did, for sure. I guess it’s that human experience insight you mentioned. It just makes me sad that folks can be so selfish.

Meh. As you say, you live, you learn. 🙂

Ahh I think nearly all of us get these moods once in a while 🙂

And I always say; patience is a lesson that is hard.

We are being tested with it everyday --> long supermarket queues and traffic jams

I learned that you can get frustrated, but also adapt.

I love oldbittygrandma’s tip on the singing. All for that.

And if that doesn’t work maybe cuddle a cow 😉

Anyway hun I hope you will get a smile back on your face and lift up your chin.

We cannot change other’s people’s behaviour but at least we can control our own 🙂

Archived