I QUIT a full-time job to start FIVERR and it is not good

zoeysocial

I am a graduate from media studies and I had a full-time job as a social media manager / community manager and I have decided to quit.

Why? Because I didn’t like being bossed around and I was doing more ad-hoc things than the actual things that a social / community manager should do. So I told myself “I can’t live like this” and decided to grab my life into my hands.

I have switched to graphic design because Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator were my real passion and so I can even combine the knowledge from my Uni, Hobby and job.

Right now I have like 500 bucks on my bank account. And my Fiverr Experience? I have 0 orders on my gig and currently saving money to pay the rent and get some food but guess what? I’m still happy. I feel free and I keep working on my skills so when i get my FIRST order I can make the first and every on coming customer HAPPY.

If you wish to give me a chance here’s the link for my 1st gig.

Describe your gig in detail, you have just two line description. You can try gigs related to your studies, in which I think you have more experience than the designing.

Your gig thumbnail is not catchy. Wish you best of the luck for a successful freelance journey.

Hi! thank you for your feedback! I will consider it and preferably update the gig 🙂 Thank you!

I have made a lot of money in the past year on Fiverr, enough to live on and then some, and I would STILL never quit my day job. My sales could plummet at any time. I mean… dang. Good luck to you though, and kudos for following your dream!

Hi! Thanks for your comment I really appreciate that. I was making a good amount of money to make a living, go to the beach, skiing, eating fancy food but you know, I was still not happy with the job. It didn’t fulfill me at all.

Now I’m broke more than ever but also Happier more than ever. Money can’t buy happiness 🙂

Thank you and good luck to all of us! I would also really appreciate if you could share your best and worst experience with me!

Hi! Thanks for your comment I really appreciate that. I was making a good amount of money to make a living, go to the beach, skiing, eating fancy food but you know, I was still not happy with the job. It didn’t fulfill me at all.

Now I’m broke more than ever but also Happier more than ever. Money can’t buy happiness 🙂

Thank you and good luck to all of us! I would also really appreciate if you could share your best and worst experience with me!

I’m sorry, but this is likely going to end badly. You only quit your job when you are already established and/or can bring clients with you from wherever you come from.

Really, just call your job and say you’ve made a mistake.

If you were making great money but now only have $500 in the bank, you aren’t exactly demonstrating a sound history of good personal financial management.

Your new-found positivity will wear off as soon as you can’t pay rent, your Internet bill, your electricity bill, or afford to eat.

I feel your reasoning behind it. I actually had a nervous breakdown at my last office job because I couldn’t understand why I was subjecting myself to this kind of treatment and conditions for this many years.

I did wait to see if I was any good at this freelancing thing first, though. Your approach seem to be a bit too risky. But you seem to be very positive and that’s a good thing. Good luck. 🙂

Hi Zoey,

I also made the decision to go 100% freelance at the start of the year, albeit in a different industry from yourself, so I can understand your frustration. I disagree with the people telling you it’s a big mistake to leave your job, but I can understand their concerns. In the end, the decision is yours and it’s really up to you whether or not this works out for you.

The first thing I’d suggest is improving your profile, gig and descriptions because, to me, they just sound like a hobbyist offering to do casual work. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but if you want to actually grow your brand and get more orders then you’ll need to put across a much more professional, confidence-inspiring image. At the moment, I can see a variety of errors and badly chosen words that will put buyers off; especially professional companies and those looking for a high-end product.

Secondly, your examples look amateurish. Sorry to be blunt about it, but it’s true. They look like a high school graphic design project. I’m not saying I could do any better or just being rude for the sake of it, but I don’t think they represent your skills well enough to attract a buyer.

Another issue is the fact that you openly describe your skills in Photoshop as being a hobby. Very few buyers will want to spend money on someone’s hobby project, so you might want to think more about your skills with the software you use.

I don’t think you’re entirely wrong to have quit your job to pursue your passion, but I do think that you need to work on your presentation, your phrasing and your general sales copy so that buyers will be more likely to purchase your services.

Another thing to add is this: Have multiple streams of income.

Don’t just focus on your graphic design for logo’s etc. You could offer separate services doing stuff like business cards, invitations, and all sorts of creative work that you’ll enjoy and profit from. You could also use your skills from your media studies degree to earn money. Offer up services to buyers that’ll allow you to utilize your skills in all areas, and don’t just limit yourself to doing graphic design.

Good luck with everything and I hope you get that first order soon!

Tommy

Hi Zoey,

I also made the decision to go 100% freelance at the start of the year, albeit in a different industry from yourself, so I can understand your frustration. I disagree with the people telling you it’s a big mistake to leave your job, but I can understand their concerns. In the end, the decision is yours and it’s really up to you whether or not this works out for you.

The first thing I’d suggest is improving your profile, gig and descriptions because, to me, they just sound like a hobbyist offering to do casual work. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but if you want to actually grow your brand and get more orders then you’ll need to put across a much more professional, confidence-inspiring image. At the moment, I can see a variety of errors and badly chosen words that will put buyers off; especially professional companies and those looking for a high-end product.

Secondly, your examples look amateurish. Sorry to be blunt about it, but it’s true. They look like a high school graphic design project. I’m not saying I could do any better or just being rude for the sake of it, but I don’t think they represent your skills well enough to attract a buyer.

Another issue is the fact that you openly describe your skills in Photoshop as being a hobby. Very few buyers will want to spend money on someone’s hobby project, so you might want to think more about your skills with the software you use.

I don’t think you’re entirely wrong to have quit your job to pursue your passion, but I do think that you need to work on your presentation, your phrasing and your general sales copy so that buyers will be more likely to purchase your services.

Don’t just focus on your graphic design for logo’s etc. You could offer separate services doing stuff like business cards, invitations, and all sorts of creative work that you’ll enjoy and profit from. You could also use your skills from your media studies degree to earn money. Offer up services to buyers that’ll allow you to utilize your skills in all areas, and don’t just limit yourself to doing graphic design.

Tommy

I did the same, there were two months of nothing for me on fiverr, but I decided to keep going and now I have a regular income. Don’t give up 🙂 (sounds cliche, but it just works)

I did the same, there were two months of nothing for me on fiverr, but I decided to keep going and now I have a regular income. Don’t give up 🙂 (sounds cliche, but it just works)

People are too quick to give up when they don’t get that initial burst of attention they expected. It’s easy to become disillusioned when there’s no work coming in, but it’s something we all have to deal with when we go freelance and should be one of the dangers we’re aware of before we take that first step.

What irks me is that people think that work will just come to them if they just put up a gig on here. The reality is that we should all be actively seeking out work, not only on Fiverr but elsewhere online and in the real-world.

I’m really glad to hear you’ve managed to get a regular income on here! I aim to do the same myself in the long run, but for the moment I’m still building my foundations and developing from there.

People are too quick to give up when they don’t get that initial burst of attention they expected. It’s easy to become disillusioned when there’s no work coming in, but it’s something we all have to deal with when we go freelance and should be one of the dangers we’re aware of before we take that first step.

What irks me is that people think that work will just come to them if they just put up a gig on here. The reality is that we should all be actively seeking out work, not only on Fiverr but elsewhere online and in the real-world.

I’m really glad to hear you’ve managed to get a regular income on here! I aim to do the same myself in the long run, but for the moment I’m still building my foundations and developing from there.

Haha thanks for the comment. Yes, fiverr is not the only site I’m seeking work here, don’t worry about that 🙂

Hi Zoey,

Tommy

Thank you. I really appreciate the feedback I will work on it 🙂

I feel your reasoning behind it. I actually had a nervous breakdown at my last office job because I couldn’t understand why I was subjecting myself to this kind of treatment and conditions for this many years.

I did wait to see if I was any good at this freelancing thing first, though. Your approach seem to be a bit too risky. But you seem to be very positive and that’s a good thing. Good luck. 🙂

I’m the type of person that quits a job immediately if the job is not taking me anywhere or just makes me frustrated 🙂 I know the risk but so far I’ve handled them all 🙂

I’m sorry, but this is likely going to end badly. You only quit your job when you are already established and/or can bring clients with you from wherever you come from.

Really, just call your job and say you’ve made a mistake.

If you were making great money but now only have $500 in the bank, you aren’t exactly demonstrating a sound history of good personal financial management.

Your new-found positivity will wear off as soon as you can’t pay rent, your Internet bill, your electricity bill, or afford to eat.

Sorry to disagree with you. Even at my young age (23) I’ve got tons of different jobs experience and I’m never gonna call and beg for a job that 1) made me frustrated 2)was a mistake to accept in the first place. Of course one thing is paying bills (and no I’m not so dumb that I’m just gonna sit at home waiting for orders, ofc- some part-time jobs time to time)

I don’t like the way you are discouraging me and once I’ll make everything run smoothly, you’ll be the person I’ll be thinking of when I’ll be encouraging someone else “Don’t listen to the people who discourage you from your dreams”

A financial management? Well I’m offering no services related to finances so a bad history of mine of financial management don’t bother at all 🙂

Sorry to disagree with you. Even at my young age (23) I’ve got tons of different jobs experience and I’m never gonna call and beg for a job that 1) made me frustrated 2)was a mistake to accept in the first place. Of course one thing is paying bills (and no I’m not so dumb that I’m just gonna sit at home waiting for orders, ofc- some part-time jobs time to time)

I don’t like the way you are discouraging me and once I’ll make everything run smoothly, you’ll be the person I’ll be thinking of when I’ll be encouraging someone else “Don’t listen to the people who discourage you from your dreams”

A financial management? Well I’m offering no services related to finances so a bad history of mine of financial management don’t bother at all 🙂

Yeah, you’re not the first one to say something like this to me.

I’m not discouraging you, I’m being realistic. Unless you have a lot of savings, you typically start freelancing before you quit your job.

All that said, good luck and welcome to the frustration-free world of freelancing.

I’m the type of person that quits a job immediately if the job is not taking me anywhere or just makes me frustrated 🙂 I know the risk but so far I’ve handled them all 🙂

Well, my thing is being frustrated is my natural state so it takes time to figure out if I’m really frustrated or just being myself.

I love your spirit, though. 🙂

Haha thanks for the comment. Yes, fiverr is not the only site I’m seeking work here, don’t worry about that 🙂

Apologies, I didn’t mean to imply that you weren’t looking for work outside of Fiverr! I was talking about people who complain about not getting any work, but when probed a little deeper turn out to be expending very little energy on either their Fiverr gigs or any other area of their professional life.

It’s very much possible to make money on here. I know because I’m doing it at the moment and I only started out last month, so I don’t see any major reason - aside from sprucing up your gig and descriptions - why you won’t gradually get to where you want to be.

Also, my comment about your artwork examples looking like a high school graphic design project wasn’t intended as an insult. There’s no benefit in not being honest, so I tend to be a rather brutal critic…because I’m brutally critical of myself and have ridiculously high standards. 😆

Seriously though, I would love to see you develop your career further on here and I believe that you can. Get yourself out there, hammer the buyer requests and build up the best looking portfolio you can create.

Did I just quit my job to join Fiverr? Yes.

Am I crazy? No

Then why did you quit your job?
Let me start from the beginning. I graduated from media studies and I worked as a community manager but I got tasks like for a Social media manager, office manager, assistant manager and well, it was a lot of ad hocs things I had to do. I lost motivation and the drive and i just got frustrated. Now that I’m jobless I’m actually more happy than before.

I can do anything in photoshop, illustrator, videoeditor. I can design any logo (flyer, business card) you can think of and really things around a camera and everything around it, is my passion and on top of that, i KNOW how to use social media! Even though I’m not currently making money, I am happy.

Am I crazy? No

Well, yes, most people would argue that you are crazy to quit a stable job to become a freelancer. Freelancing is one of the must unstable of jobs in existence. It isn’t easy to maintain, it isn’t easy money, and there is no guarantee of sales here on Fiverr. The Fiverr sellers who succeed are also the most motivated – motivated to self-market, determined to do all the non-glamorous work of building a service and reputation. It’s a heck of a lot of work. And it may take a while to find your stride.

I wish you luck here, I just hope you’re willing to do the building before you can reach the earning. 

I joined fiverr because i was looking for a native speaker who can edit and read my book before i publish it. Then i stayed on fiver because i did the illustrations to my book and after checking out the art section, i thought i might be able to get to work on interesting projects and maybe also books of other people as well. I too did quit my full time job, because it was a shiftjob and a very unhealthy environment physically and mentally. Apparently nothing much else that i can get with my education here, but 3 out of 7 people in my shift got cancer(no joke!), so it was an easy decision for me. I now hope i can make a few bucks here sometimes so that i can work a bit less and focus on refining my art skills…maybe they pay off some day. I really whish for you to stay happy and successful on fiverr! I know how liberating it feels when you finally say “Nope.” and quit your job. 🙂

Archived