I think I've found the secret message!

I think I’ve discovered the coded message in the responses from CS!

When they say Fiverr is optimized for Chrome, do they mean…
“we used invalid ECMAScript function syntax and the browsers try to implement it differently”?

what in the what what
english please? lol

A person on the interwebs gave a wonderful background history on ECMA script:

Now after that, there is no valid/invalid script syntax. In programming, your code either works or it doesn’t, there’s no middle ground.

The reason Fiverr says the site is optimized for Chrome, because they follow the Chromium dev cycle and feature set to match the functionalities of the site first.

As Chrome is the number 1 most used browser currently, others web browser try to follow their dev and features. Exception is Mozilla and Edge.

So hope this makes sense.

Woah pheww, it went over my head… :roll_eyes:

Uhh, yes there is. If, for instance, you use a statement that “works” but it is not defined in the language, that means somebody has made it work a particular way on the computing device you’re using. Not that it’s good practice, nor that it’s valid.

If someone wrote a browser in which you wrote “booger” as a named function in scripting language X and it emitted a green blob, that does not mean it’s valid. It just means it works somewhere.

Or maybe someone uses, say, PHP (I know that’s server side, but it comes to mind). PHP can be modified pretty extensively and recompiled and then installed on a server, but there is still a manual. If you were to recompile it and change “echo” from what it does to instead repeat the last instruction, you can be sure anyone who uses that server but you is going to be hopping mad, and with good reason.

And also, I’m pretty sure Firefox and Edge are major browsers too. Mozilla is an organization, by the way, not a browser. Edge in particular is installed on every new Windows system, isn’t it? That’s a lot of devices.As far as the other browsers, which ones would they be? Opera? Not a lot of people use that. Which browsers are you referring to?

This is techno-gibberish. Browsers are supposed to implement web programming according to standards, not make up things whenever they feel like it. MS got yelled at a lot when they kept doing that with IE. The development cycle of a browser has nothing to do with not knowing the difference between, for instance, 1 character and 0 characters.

Yes, that’s the point. If your code doesn’t work, it doesn’t. I’m sure someone could find code that would only run on a specific processor, but that doesn’t mean you should put it in a program and tell someone “tough, go buy another computer”.

Kind of like when the browsers use draft implementations from the W3C. Those aren’t meant to be final. That’s why they’re prefixed (like moz- or something like that). now, they may work on Firefox, but people using Chrome would be pretty annoyed if a whole site used only that.

Wait a minute, didn’t you ‘like’ an earlier posting of mine when I stated I didn’t like Chrome?

The ECMAScript problem I’m speaking of is using a function in a scope that’s not defined by the specification. It will probably be in the next one (not to do that), and many people say it’s bad practice to use it that way. Actually, it is invalid, by definition, because the only valid syntax is in the specification. The writers of Chrome did not write the ECMAScript specification, so if they claim they implemented it, it should follow the specification. Otherwise It’s ChromeScript.

Actually none of the browsers follow the specification, because if they did, using that syntax would result in an error, because the browser wouldn’t know what to do with the instruction.

Once again., it’s not a “feature” to add nonstandard syntax. It’s called being a PITA.

I thought we were supposed to be making things platform-independent and cross-browser compatible.

Note that Gmail works on Firefox just fine. And Edge. So the people who wrote Fiverr’s site know more about Chrome than the people who wrote Chrome?

How about this: if you wrote a program that said divide by zero, and it worked, would you leave it in?

In programming, if you use random code that isn’t a part of the language but just so happens to be on the system you’re writing the code on, you’re the other programmers’ nightmare. Code that sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t is called a bug.

I was taught that you test multiple browsers, not just the one you like best. But that doesn’t really have anything to do with it, because this mess of code is not going to work correctly on Chrome or anything else. Maybe they wrote code that doesn’t throw errors on Chrome, but that’s not the same thing. It does not and cannot work correctly.

I wasn’t aware of that… :rolling_eyes:

Jeez, maybe you should really take this up with CS.

I am not sure you are upset at my post or anything else, but your moaning about this was pretty loud.

I am a Computer Engineer, and have been designing websites since 2004.
Initially I would test my site in development in all 4 major browsers, IE, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. Those times were the biggest challenges of my life, since there were NO common grounds between any of the browsers. So I completely understand situations where a certain scripting technology is given focus when they shouldn’t be.

Anyways, nowadays I try to make my posts here on the forum as brief and concise as possible, and those that does know about my reference gets it or they do not.

I try to “Keep It Simple Stupid”.

So my previous post was just that, I didn’t intentionally go into details corporate strategy on technology implementation, R&D etc. But all that plays a crucial factor in SDLC.

No, not upset at your post, frustrated with the lack of information about the site issues. I realize that concise is better, but people need to realize the Web still isn’t something that just works. It’s a big, complicated deal to get the Internet to work at every level, from websites to switches.

I enjoy drawn out typed communications. Unintentionally. I also tend to leave things out and respond later (that’s probably not the most helpful way to communicate on the forums, but I take more creative license in the ranting pot).

I actually have been talking to CS about it, but the only thing they will say is “try Chrome.” I asked what OS it was tested on (because that would be useful info) and the response was ‘we don’t have that information.’ I’d really like to know what the difference is (between it and everything else), because otherwise I’d have to buy another computer just to run it, and I’d be really angry if it still didn’t work any better. I also do not need any more computing devices.

My current computer can run Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time, but Firefox by itself seems to struggle slightly (when browsing). I also hate auto-updating, due to bad experiences. I would use my most powerful one, but the OS is kind of old. Plus, I’m a firm believer in ‘make it work right the first time’ instead of ‘try to fix it every day.’

EDIT: and by ‘struggle slightly’ I mean it runs slowly on some websites.

I’d try Chromium, but I don’t want to deal with that (Chrome is the nice browser from Google, Chromium is a do it yourself version with no support and no auto-updates, for anyone else who’s looking).

When did the “best in Chrome” thing start by the way? I’ve been on this site since Dec. 2015, and the first time I heard it from CS was this March. Every other time I contacted CS, I heard nothing about Chrome. And it makes me suspicious that I’m getting the run-around because either somebody’s trying to work on it right now, or they don’t know how to fix it yet.

When I could get all of those to work, I’d test on those too, plus Opera (just for fun). I think I had a few more installed too (that aren’t made anymore).

Most people recognize Firefox a lot more than Mozilla, according to the Mozilla Foundation. :slight_smile: