Imagine This Scenario

lucycodex

I’ll kick them out of the cab while showing off my new baseball bat 🤨 #AintNobodyGotTimeForThat

Wait, is this a trick question? :thinking:

Not a trick question. I am having a fair amount of people who are telling me it’s not “realistic” to request payment before starting work, so I am just making sure.

Not a trick question. I am having a fair amount of people who are telling me it’s not “realistic” to request payment before starting work, so I am just making sure.

people who are telling me it’s not “realistic” to request payment before starting work,

which planet are they from???

sounds more like the star of BS from the Galaxy of WTF to me…

(pardon my French)

It sounds like a car company, but Nibiru is a conspiracy-claimed wannabe celestrial body that probably doesn’t exist. It’s supposed to be the cause of the world supposedly ending in 4 days, or 14 days ago, or in 2012, or 2010, or 2000, your pick.

Guest phantompower

I am still being told by people in this one Facebook group that asking for money before working is “overly aggressive”

I am sure that if you go rent a room, you will be asked to pay first + sometimes even an added deposit on top just in case you are late next month. Some people are given down payments before they even lift any tools and in a freelance world our down payment is the full amount no questions asked.

Imagine this for one second:

You own a taxi service, and you drive people around town. You have someone who asks you for a ride, but says that they will not pay you for your services unless your service is “up to snuff” with their expectations.

What would you do?

You own a taxi service, and you drive people around town. You have someone who asks you for a ride, but says that they will not pay you for your services unless your service is “up to snuff” with their expectations.

What would you do?

I’d drive them to the nearest Narcissists Anonymous treatment center.

I am having a fair amount of people who are telling me it’s not “realistic” to request payment before starting work, so I am just making sure.

Have you tried politely informing them that Fiverr strongly advises sellers never to start working on an order until it’s actually placed?

Or simply “I’m sorry, but that’s how Fiverr works, you place an order, and I start working on it”.

I am still being told by people in this one Facebook group that asking for money before working is “overly aggressive”

If anything, the opposite is true.

We both offer writing at similar price points. Pro people like @paulmaplesden offer writing at a much higher price point which they do because basically, their writing is better than ours. They sit down and commit time and in-depth research to articles which I don’t and shouldn’t be expected to for $8.

When someone asks that you provide work FOC which they will pay for later pending approval, they leave their quality expectations wide open.

It can be really tempting to take on work for people who say they will order regularly and pay big bucks but… You need to deliver prior to payment. In EVERY case, however, this will just hurt you.

Don’t listen to what people say on social media or elsewhere. You are not a charity and there is never a reasonable reason why you should be prepared to act like one.

Think about auditions: if it’s for a Marvel movie, yes, you’ll do an audition, and pray to every deity you can think of to get the role. But if it’s for a $5 video? Err, seriously?

Archived