[important] country flags are now showing on gig

shubhamdahale

Why though? I would imagine a lot of people would prefer to pick (sellers) with flags of US, UK, CA and other English speaking countries, so there’s no language barriers and less chances of miscommunication. :thinking: Unless the buyer doesn’t speak english very well.

i dont think we can pick country flags they are set on our default country from where we are or they automatically detects our location

i dont think we can pick country flags they are set on our default country from where we are or they automatically detects our location

I don’t think adsensewizard is talking about sellers picking a country flag of choice. 😕

S/he is talking about buyers choosing gigs from their country of choice –say the UK, Australia, the USA or whatever.

I don’t think adsensewizard is talking about sellers picking a country flag of choice. 😕

S/he is talking about buyers choosing gigs from their country of choice –say the UK, Australia, the USA or whatever.

yes that can happen people will choose sellers depending on their country also that can cause in decrease in impressions and gig views and lower sales for some sellers

I’m sorry to say this, but this feature promotes discrimination 😢

So many buyers have come to the forum saying that they wanted a country filter to avoid buying from sellers that are part of some countries they had bad experiences with, thus generalizing their bad experiences and missing out on some really great sellers from such countries.

Then there are sellers who get messages from potential buyers asking why they charge so much given the country they live in and demanding discounts because of their location.

This feature seems to act like a big “AVOID” sign for many honest sellers with great English skills and genuine offers. And I’ve seen a significant drop in all my stats immediately after this feature was introduced 😔

P.S. and when you also think that not all sellers were born in the countries they currently live in that show up on their gigs…

So many buyers have come to the forum saying that they wanted a country filter to avoid buying from sellers that are part of some countries they had bad experiences with, thus generalizing their bad experiences and missing out on some really great sellers from such countries.

Then there are sellers who get messages from potential buyers asking why they charge so much given the country they live in and demanding discounts because of their location.

This feature seems to act like a big “AVOID” sign for many honest sellers with great English skills and genuine offers. And I’ve seen a significant drop in all my stats immediately after this feature was introduced 😔

P.S. and when you also think that not all sellers were born in the countries they currently live in that show up on their gigs…

Fiverr a few years ago…

flag.JPG.55aa995a3fb3dbea215d6c7d561f1caf.JPG

Hi @woofy31

Buyers have always known where sellers are from as it has always been shown along with the avg response time, average delivery and expertice on each seller’s gig.

I don’t know how to post the image on the forum, sorry, but if you search on any category, you can see what I mean.

I will draw your pets in my cute disney style

by XXXXX Level 1 Seller, From Australia, 6 Hrs. Avg Response Time
Starting At $20
5.0 (40)
Expertise: caricature & cartoons, artist, digital artist, freehand drawing
Average Delivery: 14 Days

I will make you a digital painting as a king or queen

by XXXXX From Bulgaria, 1 Hrs. Avg Response Time
Starting At $10
4.8 (16)
Expertise: translation, proofreading, product descriptions, article writing

I will draw you as a duke or king perfect for gift

by XXXXXX From Serbia, 6 Hrs. Avg Response Time
Starting At $5
4.8 (22)
Expertise: 3dsmax, adobe after effect, photoshop, unity3d
Average Delivery: 1 Day

The above, is the information shown next to the gig cover.

Hi @woofy31

Buyers have always known where sellers are from as it has always been shown along with the avg response time, average delivery and expertice on each seller’s gig.

I don’t know how to post the image on the forum, sorry, but if you search on any category, you can see what I mean.

Buyers would see the country of a seller on their profile pages after choosing a gig, but not in search results right from the first sight and before making a gig choice. Now, some buyers will see a good gig, then they see the flag, and they go “oh my, I’ve had bad experiences with sellers from that country, I’ll better skip this one”.

Fiverr a few years ago…

True, it was like this back in 2010-2012, but then Fiverr removed the flags from search results (there must have been a good reason why they removed it back then), and now they brought it back.

Buyers would see the country of a seller on their profile pages after choosing a gig, but not in search results right from the first sight and before making a gig choice. Now, some buyers will see a good gig, then they see the flag, and they go “oh my, I’ve had bad experiences with sellers from that country, I’ll better skip this one”.

Fiverr a few years ago…

True, it was like this back in 2010-2012, but then Fiverr removed the flags from search results (there must have been a good reason why they removed it back then), and now they brought it back.

Buyers would see the country of a seller on their profile pages after choosing a gig, but not in search results right from the first sight and before making a gig choice.

No, I’m not talking of the profile. Please look the comment I posted just above yours. That information is displayed next to tha gig when searching.

I don’t know how to post my screen image but if you please teach me how to post a copy/paste of it, I’ll do it for you to see what I’m saying.

Fiverr a few years ago…

Fiverr removed the flags from search results (there must have been a good reason why they removed it back then) , and now they brought it back.

We don’t know…

Perhaps they removed it for a bad reason 😉

@woofy31, I hope the image comes up right 😣

This example is what is shown through the search

Well, it appears the flags have been removed from gigs in search results. So that means Fiverr is still testing that feature, to see what kind of impact it might have.

If you look at the very first post’s image in this thread here [important] country flags are now showing on gig you’ll see the tiny country flags on every gig in search results - it was like this until today, now I see they removed the flags again.

Well, it appears the flags have been removed from gigs in search results. So that means Fiverr is still testing that feature, to see what kind of impact it might have.

If you look at the very first post’s image in this thread here [important] country flags are now showing on gig you’ll see the tiny country flags on every gig in search results - it was like this until today, now I see they removed the flags again.

you’ll see the tiny country flags on every gig in search results - it was like this until today, now I see they removed the flags again.

Let’s hope this was just an unintended consequence of all the fiddling around Fiverr is probably doing while implementing all the new features 😃

@maitasun You’re right… Before this, they had had it indicated in a verbal manner… until this “bug” happened where it changed to a more visual, eye-catching depiction of the sellers’ location.

The flag is just the graphic way to display where a seller is from and that information has always been there as I have shown you in the image I posted. Please take a look at it.

As you can see, with or without flags, buyers still know where a sellers is from and has always known.

@hanshuber16 we were typing at the same time!!! :rofl:

@hanshuber16 @woofy31

Please, let me add that for those saying that flags are highly discriminatory, I would suggest to think about it twice. Flags are wayyyyy less discriminatory than words as not everyone knows every country’s flag so, unless buyers would be willing to waste their time looking up to what country any given flag belongs, that won’t make much of a difference when selecting a gig.

@hanshuber16 @woofy31

Please, let me add that for those saying that flags are highly discriminatory, I would suggest to think about it twice. Flags are wayyyyy less discriminatory than words as not everyone knows every country’s flag so, unless buyers would be willing to waste their time looking up to what country any given flag belongs, that won’t make much of a difference when selecting a gig.

I understand what you are trying to say… But I don’t think it matters at all. While you say flags are less discriminatory, I think it doesn’t make any difference at all… flags or words… They are the same.

This is because… even if there were only flags indicated, buyers would only need to know a couple flags of those countries which they want to avoid… which, I don’t think is a difficult task at all.

I understand what you are trying to say… But I don’t think it matters at all. While you say flags are less discriminatory, I think it doesn’t make any difference at all… flags or words… They are the same.

This is because… even if there were only flags indicated, buyers would only need to know a couple flags of those countries which they want to avoid… which, I don’t think is a difficult task at all.

You’re right, and I think neither of them are making any difference at all as buyers also have the chance to select the country they want to buy from, whether the country is displayed or not.

For me, the flag is really helpful, as my content/translation services are focused on Spanish from Spain, rather than, for example, Mexican. Buyer can see more clearly my country, so if they need a translation or content creation focused on a Latam local target, they can skip me more easily. Same for the opposite: a buyer that wants a RAE Spanish flavor, Spain, will probably check my gig when they see the Spain’s flag. However, I still don’t see the flags, so seems it is not widely implemented.

For me, the flag is really helpful, as my content/translation services are focused on Spanish from Spain, rather than, for example, Mexican. Buyer can see more clearly my country, so if they need a translation or content creation focused on a Latam local target, they can skip me more easily. Same for the opposite: a buyer that wants a RAE Spanish flavor, Spain, will probably check my gig when they see the Spain’s flag. However, I still don’t see the flags, so seems it is not widely implemented.

in some cases it is useful but in most of cases i agree that no matter what others say people may judge sellers through country flag when they are shown first thing when they see gig

As long as it doesn’t show people my city and IP, I’m fine… (I know there are platforms that do show the city, while the IP was a joke I hope never will come true)

Being able to choose sellers based on country is one of buyers’ most-wanted features, going by buyers’ forum posts (rare as they are), and useful for some kinds of gigs, and, in an ideal world, nobody should be wanting to hide their country/location/nationality or anything.

Of course, in an ideal world, there should be no need to display your country as well and we all know well enough that it’s a feature that will make some people choose/skip based on country even for jobs where it doesn’t matter, I guess the only consolation is that one probably wouldn’t/shouldn’t want to work for someone like that anyway and as those people could see the country before this flag display already, I don’t think it will make much difference, they’d have not ordered from people from the countries they are prejudiced against anyway.

All in all, though, I think the pretty colourful flags are better than text, they spread a nice atmosphere and might even make people curious enough to look up flags they don’t know and read the info Google displays along with those or maybe even click a few interesting links. And usually, more information = less prejudice.

Archived