Impossible buyers

If you’re having a nice day so far, ignore my rant, I’m just blowing off some steam :slight_smile:

I’m getting really annoyed with these buyers that either expect me to read their mind, or expect frankly impossible things.

So, I had this client who was really excited about us working together. I finished the job earlier, sent it to them, included a kind reminder that they had a free modification if they’re not satisfied with the product, and… received a 3.5 star review. I immediately wrote a message to ask what was wrong with the text.

The response? "Oh, the text is really great but it’s not really my voice."

I re-write the article, the focus is completely different this time. "Sorry, this is one is also awesome but it’s not really my voice."

Well, of course it’s not your voice, because it’s not coming from you, is it??

Or some time ago I had a client that ordered my website content gig. They included all necessary information to create a nice About us page, so I delivered it on time. The result? 4-star rating (I know it’s not that bad but I’m really trying to keep my 99%-100% rating). I immediately asked them what was wrong with the order - "well, I already have an about us page. I wanted a review of my website."

Well, then why did you order the website content, why didn’t specify what you were looking for, and why didn’t you ask for a modification?? Gosh, you could’ve at least asked for a refund, since that’s not what you were looking for!

—rant finished.

Reply to @emasonwrites:

I browse Fiverr quite a bit, sometimes out of boredom, sometimes just looking for a seller. I often see the feedback “Wow! Absolutely perfect, buying again now” left with a 4-star review.

People like that should be given insta-bans. My heart bleeds for those sellers, lol.

I’m having a good day but I decided to read your pain story and… well, the only thing I can say is I feel for you :frowning:

Reply to @mark74: Well, you ignored the warning and read it anyway.

dimana_att said: The response? "Oh, the text is really great but it's not really my voice."
I re-write the article, the focus is completely different this time. "Sorry, this is one is also awesome but it's not really my voice."

Did you happen to ask them to change their review since so it wouldn't put off others? I mean they seemed nice enough, and did think the work itself was great.

Yeah, and the client actually replied with “I thought I left you a nice review. How can I change it?” but never bothered to do it anyway.

Esh, getting a 3.5 star review for “great” work just takes the biscuit. Stories like these make me really miss the thumb system.

Reply to @dimana_att: Nothing like raising your hopes! Oh well, at least you tried. :slight_smile:

Reply to @sara1984: I think the 'new" system is too complicated for the typical Fiverr user. :wink:

Reply to @dimana_att: I think customer support would remove it if asked.

Yeah, I don’t get it. But I also don’t understand, reading through reviews on any website that uses a five-star system, people who leave less than five stars, but write absolutely nothing negative in their comment. If there was nothing wrong, why not leave five stars?

I’m sorry, but saying it “wasn’t in my voice,” when you paid someone else to write it is a little silly.

In my opinion, if a seller delivers what they say they’ll deliver in the gig and follows the instructions, that should be a five-star review, especially if that seller is polite and courteous and tries to make things “right,” even when the buyer can’t really explain what’s wrong (for example, this gem: “It’s great, but I don’t like it,” or “It sounds like it was written by an American,” but then can’t actually tell me what makes it sound “American”–and because I am American, what were they expecting? …sigh) or it’s the buyer’s fault that something isn’t what they expected, like not actually telling you that they needed a review, instead of an about page, until after you’d already done the work.

I had a teacher in high school who didn’t believe in giving 100% on an assignment because nothing could be perfect. 100% doesn’t mean that it was absolutely perfect, it means that I completely fulfilled every aspect of the instructions given to me. It doesn’t mean that I read your mind, or delivered tons more than what was promised, etc., etc. It means I did the job to its fullest extent.

An 80% would mean I only did 80% of the work, and a 70% would mean I only did 70% of the work. Obviously, some people see the rating system differently, and maybe I’m thinking about the percentages too literally…?

Reply to @sara1984: That is ridiculous; “buying again!” when they didn’t leave a perfect score. If it wasn’t exactly what you wanted, why are you buying again!? If it is worth buying again, why not leave a perfect score!? So confused.

Reply to @dimana_att: http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/GoldenFoxx/Memes/MEME-TwitchFace.png

Your rant makes a very important point. There is a big uptick in the number of customers who reject writing for vague or misguided reasons. This is a huge bummer if you spent a lot of time on a long project. Personally I’ve gone back to just writing short ads - to give some of these “special” customers time to find another gig to frequent.

Reply to @emasonwrites:

I know, right? I love when a customer leaves me a 4.5 or 4-star review, and upon asking what was wrong with the order, they reply "Oh, nothing, it was perfect, can’t wait to work with you again!"

Oh well.

Reply to @dimana_att:

Part of the problem might be that in many situations with a 5-star rating system, 3 means “adequate”, 4 means “excellent”, and 5 means “exceeded expectations, or went beyond the call of duty”.

If a new customer is accustomed to that sort of framework elsewhere, he or she probably believes that the 4.5 indicates a “perfect” job and has no idea that the seller would be disappointed.

Short version: The old thumbs-up/thumbs-down system is probably more appropriate for this platform.

I am both a buyer and a seller but my activities is mostly a buyer and so i am very conscious, tolarant, forgiving and mostly understanding of how to deal with sellers because i honestly believe in treating others as i would love to be treated in the same way and more as what i mentioned up above! … (LOL! :slight_smile: … I thought i would mentioned all of lol … OK! … In defense of both buyers and sellers point of view and experience … A lot of times it is not really our fault … I swear, actually noticed that i have to double - triple check to make sure i clicked the stars because i swear those star ratings actually be changing and switch up and i have to click again to make sure it took right! … So, i am asuming that most buyers whom are not sellers do not necesarily understand how important those stars and ratings really mean to us as sellers! :slight_smile: … Of course, that could only be my thoughts and no bearings at all and i am not saying that i am correct# :slight_smile: – Thsnk you for reading! :slight_smile:

Reply to @catsquirrel:

You know, I’ve never thought about it that way.

It does make sense, but it’s still pretty annoying because it suggests that if I want to keep my 100% rating, I need to overdeliver every single time.

Plus, Fiverr automatically marks a 5-star rating as “outstanding experience”, and the 4-star as “good experience”, which is far from perfect.

Reply to @dimana_att: Of course, I didn’t mean to imply that you should be doing more than your gig description says you’ll do. I was just trying to explain where some of the problem might be coming from in the rating system here.

That said, I had no idea that a 4-star rating has a default comment of “good experience”. No wonder sellers are worried about this! Fiverr doesn’t exactly go out of its way to explain this system to the buyers.

Reply to @emasonwrites: Much like your teacher, some folks flatly refuse to leave ‘perfect’ ratings. I don’t know why Fiverr doesn’t automatically fill in the 5 stars and put the responsibility on the reviewer to make a change. “Opt out” works.

And I do wonder if some people just have an exact opposite understanding of star ratings in general. App reviews are a classic example. “This app is perfect, it’s the best app ever. Thank you developers! I LOVE IT!!!”: 1 star. I suppose in those instances it could just be laziness or not seeing the star portion of the process. Why people bother to select anything less than 5 stars for work they are thrilled with here, well, I guess they just don’t want to commit?