Fiverr Community Forum

Invoice making - Italian seller

Hi,
I am an italian seller, I have a VAT number. I read many topics about billing system on fiverr but I still cannot understand how I can write and send an invoice when I get paid for a gig.
Please, anyone can help me? thanks!

2 Likes

Hey,

You can’t send a direct invoice to the buyer since technically you are doing business with Fiverr. The platform sends the buyer a receipt and confirmation and you only fulfill the order.

You can’t really write an invoice directly to the buyer since first of all you don’t (or shouldn’t) have any personal or contact info.

I hope this helps

3 Likes

In addition to what has been advised:

This is the information from the perspective of a buyer:

https://buyers.fiverr.com/en/article/viewing-invoices

3 Likes

Thanks for your answers.
Unfortunately I still don’t understand what should I give to my accountant.
In Italy we have to make an invoice after every payment we receive, and every invoice has a number (01/2020 - 02/2020 etc…). In addition, as a professional architect, I am obliged to specify a 4% (Architect’s National Insurance Fund). So, I am really confused on what should I do. :roll_eyes:

For specific help with regard to your tax affairs suggest you contact your accountant, and refer them to the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

1 Like

(Disclaimer - Obviously you must get all official guidance from your financial adviser and/or accountant. But here’s how it works for us, and most likely you, to some extent)

As has already been mentioned, your agreement is with Fiverr, never with an end buyer. So you invoice Fiverr, and you do so at the point of receiving funds from Fiverr (which would be when you withdraw your funds to your bank). You invoice them for the amount you withdrew. It’s essentially a ‘dummy invoice’, as you’ve already received your money, but you need the paper trail.

Here in the UK, doing business with a company in Tel Aviv (which Fiverr is) makes the whole thing exempt from VAT. The UK also has a system in place for people operating with ‘digital portals’, which would mean that even if Fiverr were based in the UK, they would still be exempt from VAT. Italy may have something similar, and your accountant should be able to advise you on this. Sadly, many accountants aren’t very up-to-date when it comes to modern working practices, so you may have to do some research yourself. But ultimately, you need them to confirm the procedure for billing a business in Israel, where the business is setup as a Digital Portal (ie; your relationship is with the portal, not with the client).

You give your accountant an invoice (from you, to Fiverr) for each time you withdraw funds from Fiverr.

You can try to add other things on, but Fiverr won’t pay it. They’ve already given you your commission, they won’t hand out any more money.

Think of it this way. We provide voice overs. If a (UK based) client wants to pay for a voice over by invoice, we would provide the work, then submit a voice over directly to that client, complete with 20% VAT. They pay direct to our bank, within 30 days. All dealings are between us and the client directly.

If that same client hires us through Fiverr for the exact same job, their deal is no longer with us, it’s with Fiverr. We then complete the job, and Fiverr pays us a commission of 80% of the order value. For both us and the buyer, Fiverr is the in-between. It’s up to Fiverr to deal with invoicing, applicable VAT etc.

It can be really confusing - all the best!

3 Likes

Thank you for your explanation. Now I understand there’s no official way. I’ll try ask my accountant.
Thanks everyone for your support!

Hi! I am from Italy too.
You have to send your “Italian invoice” to fiverr. They won’t need it, but Italian law says you have to send it.
About the 4%: you can’t add it, if you MUST have it on your invoice, you have deduct it… I mean, if you get 500 eu from fiverr, you have to make an invoice that says X+4%=500
To do so, you have to use this formula
4:104=x:500
4(because we have the 4%) : 104 (because the sum is 100+4%) = x (the sum to which you will add this 4%) : 500 (what FIverr paid)
So you will always have to do 4xIncome/104, in this case 4x500/104=19,23
Then you deduct 19,23 from the Income: 500-19,23=480,77
You invoice will then say:
480,77 + 4% (19,23) = 500

1 Like