Fiverr Community Forum

Is Commercial Rights Use Fee like

an extra fee in disguise?

I looked around and couldn’t fully understand some of the replies.

I pay the fee to have you do a voiceover.
Now I have to pay to actually use it online? For something like instagram or facebook?

Am I reading this correctly?

1 Like

Yes, you probably are reading it correctly. Charging a commercial rights fee is standard practice for professional voice overs. However, the practice is also misunderstood by some wannabe voice overs.

Let’s take two scenarios:

1. I provide you with a 10 minute voice over for a business presentation that’s going to be heard by 150 delegates in a conference room on just one occasion.

2. I provide you with a 60 second voice over for an online advert that’s going to be viewed 100s of thousands of times on different platforms across the English speaking world. Although the advert is just 60 seconds, it takes around 10 attempts to get it right for the client.

Both jobs involve 10 minutes of voice over, but the client in the second scenario is likely to get much more money back for their investment. The voice over wants a bit of that money too. That’s why a commercial rights fee exists. It’s about saying “Be fair, you’re using my talents to help you earn thousands of dollars / pounds - give me a cut of that upfront”.

But as I also mentioned, some alleged vocal talents try and charge a commercial fee when one doesn’t really need to.

2 Likes

Is there any proof of the commercial rights document you will have to give to the buyer in the second scenario?

It’s been a while since I sold voice over services on Fiverr but I’m sure there’s a tick box option that the seller can add to their gig for commercial rights. Also remember that anything in writing is a contract.