Fiverr Forum

Is Fiverr actually serious?

I got an email this morning about my tutoring gig being cancelled…here’s the important bit:

• Taking part in doing someone else’s academic work (which will likely be submitted as the student’s own work) or engaging in acts of plagiarism/unauthorised copying is a violation of most, if not all, schools’ Honor Codes and constitutes copyright infringement. This behavior can lead to the suspension or expulsion of students. Fiverr does not allow this type of fraudulent activities and it will not be permitted on our platform.

Let me start my rant by saying, I’m a formerly credentialed teacher as it says in my profile, so I know very well the definition of plagiarism. I also know quite clearly, which it seems Fiverr does not, how tutoring works and that it is FAR different than anything they suggested is going on.

Now as I yet to have a client base on Fiverr for tutoring it makes little difference to me that they have CANCELLED my gig for a load of nonsense. I’ll just build my tutoring business elsewhere.

My Fiverr experience leaves much to be desired.

3 Likes

Fiverr has no way to know what you’re actually doing in the tutoring. You could be doing schoolwork for all they know. They have to have quality control here.

6 Likes

If all they are doing is quality control it should have some reference to star ratings and reviews. I’m also fairly sure that if it is a copyright infringement, those being infringed upon would be coming after me and my business.

According to this definition, no teacher anywhere should be allowed to teach, tutor or mentor regardless of platform or location. If I help a student do a problem in a classroom I’m doing my job, not violating school policy or code in the slightest.

If you type “tutoring gig removed” in the search bar above there are several posts on the subject.

These may be of interest to you.

4 Likes

They’re probably being extra careful just in case in the gig a seller might be doing part of the work for the buyer that the buyer might be supposed to be doing themselves. eg. things like the bit that said “I’ll review and help you answer 1 question.”. eg. in theory a seller could show them fully how to answer that question that they’ve been given and the buyer could in theory copy the whole of the answer the seller gave as though it was their own work (that’s the potential plagiarism bit - the buyer presenting it as all their work). So even if you weren’t doing anything wrong Fiverr is likely just be extra careful so they don’t get accused of possibly doing anything where they could be accused of allowing cheating by students etc. by getting someone else to do their work but presenting it as theirs.

Also be careful not to mention email contact in gigs.

2 Likes

Star ratings do nothing to tell Fiverr if you are breaking their ToS. Fiverr has to protect themselves. You could easily be breaking their ToS in your tutoring without their knowledge and they aren’t going to take that risk.

Fiverr isn’t the place to do this kind of service. You took a big risk by creating this gig. You should have projected this could happen.

1 Like

If a student is doing that…that is on the student. Their classroom teacher will be able to know because they are most certainly not measuring the students learning with a single problem. I knew when students were copying others work. It has never been the tutors responsibility if the student misrepresented others work as their own.

1 Like

If it was such a big risk, Fiverr should never have allowed it in the first place, nor should any online platform. Yet for months before I began my gig I was able to search “tutor” and easily find many gigs, not only on Fiverr, but everywhere online. My projections were that if other teachers could do it, I’m just as capable.

No, your projection was that you assumed Fiverr would allow it. The fact that other teachers do it has nothing to do with the ToS issue.

Just because you got away with it for this long, doesn’t mean it’s allowed or that Fiverr owes it to you to let it continue.

As I explained, you could easily be breaching ToS with this gig without Fiverr’s knowledge. You should have projected that this issue could jeopardize your gig. Once Fiverr sees something could breach ToS without their knowledge, they’re going to take action and they’re entitled to do that, if you read the ToS, you’ll see that. If you don’t like ToS, then you don’t use the service.

1 Like

I didn’t know teaching someone something was getting “away with it for this long”. I guess my legal services were wrong…I was doing something illegal. It’s fine that they cancelled it, my business will go elsewhere. I’d just rather be punished for actually violating ToS rather than assuming I’m a vile person, and assuming I’m going to violate teaching standards and school codes. Some of us teachers, former or otherwise, do still have the ability to act ethically.

1 Like

“teaching someone something was getting ‘away with it for this long’.” I’m not saying that teaching = getting away with something.

Now you’re mischaracterizing my argument in an attempt to discredit me. You know full well that what I’m referring to is the possibility that you could breaching the ToS in your tutoring without Fiverr’s knowledge, NOT the teaching itself. You know that I’m not saying tutoring is “illegal.”

There is absolutely no way for Fiverr to know if you’re doing homework or other prohibited activities in the tutoring. No way. And they aren’t going to let something continue once they realize that could be going on without their knowledge. They are a business and they have ToS. They put them into effect and you need to accept that.

Law has nothing to do with this. You could have been breaching the ToS without their knowledge. If you can’t prove that you aren’t breaching (and there is no mechanism for you to do so), then this is grounds for your gig to be removed.

This has nothing to do with teaching standards and school codes or “vile” behavior. As I explained to you, you could breaching the ToS without their knowledge. Whether you’re actually doing that is irrelevant. You can’t prove that you aren’t.

Fiverr is removing such gigs as you will find if you search for the topics I referred to in my previous post.

3 Likes

Fine…so I’m guilty with out proof. I shouldn’t have to prove my innocence. I should be expected to abide by ToS to have started a Fiverr profile, so unless it can be shown that I’m not abiding by ToS, or doing something outright illegal, I should be free to provide whatever service I care to provide. But, whatever…Their choice, their loss.

I would expect all other tutoring sites to follow suit then…

Again, you’re mischaracterizing. This has nothing to do with “guilt.” You’re required to prove that you aren’t breaking ToS and you can’t do that. So no to: " I should be free to provide whatever service I care to provide."

Fiverr isn’t going to allow something that could undermine their ToS. It wouldn’t make sense for them to do that.

Law has nothing to with this. It’s about policy.

1 Like

Fiverr sets the rules on their own website, and you are required to abide by them. Fiverr is allowed to set their own rules, and maintain them as they see fit. You are not entitled to do whatever you want, just because you want to do it. You agreed to Fiverr’s TOS when you signed up for an account. It is your responsibility to stay abreast of any updates to the TOS.

Fiverr clearly states that, "gigs and/or users may be removed by Fiverr from the Site for violations to these Terms of Service, which may include (but are not limited to)… :“Offering to prepare academic works on behalf of Buyers”. Tutoring is a gray area, and has been used by sellers in the past to write papers for buyers, do their homework for them, etc. Fiverr is likely banning all connection to academic work, both as a way to get rid of the reputation some past sellers have built for the site in helping others cheat, and to cover themselves legally. The last thing they want is to be sued by schools and students for providing work the students should be doing themselves.

Fiverr is not (or perhaps, more appropriately stated, is no longer) a place for tutoring, academic assistance, and homework help. Fiverr is completely fair in this choice, and you agreed to abide by their legal choices when you signed up for your account.

Yes, it is their choice, and no, they aren’t losing anything – accept the possibility of being sued by academic institutions that don’t want their students cheating, or purchasing homework assistance from a freelance services website.

5 Likes