Is it really worth $5?

Many of the Fiverr sellers are highly talented individuals. It takes years of experience to do some of the things that are offered for $5. It also takes time. It’s not like these gigs can be turned around automatically. Some just take time to deliver. So what’s the catch? Why would a professional seller, sell his/her gig for $5? Loss leader to do work out side of Fiverr? Portfolio builder? Has to be some motivation because $5 (I guess $4 after 5r) is not enough.

Free time.

Most people have it and want to fill it.

But I suspect the real reason is the potential multiple orders offers.

Yeah. Sure. 5 bucks may not be worth the time to do a gig. But if you get a few gigs together, and do them all at once, or in sequence, the job/time ratio begins to add up.

It may take you say… 10 minutes to do 1 gig. If you get 2 gigs it may take you 17 minutes. 3 gigs 22 minutes. So your time adds up but becomes less once you’re set up. So if you get 10 orders, and it takes you 2 hours that’s 20 bucks an hour when you make 4 bucks a pop.

@camping411 “Why would a professional seller, sell his/her gig for $5” because once you get to a certain level and reputation you are no longer selling your ware for $5, fiverr gives you the opportunity to offer Extras for more earnings…

Some of my gigs take me quite some time to finish, but I’m still building momentum, so I don’t mind. The extras also make a difference.

I mainly try to build an excellent reputation through my gigs. After a while I can evaluate if a gig is worth continuing.

Also, having clients keeps me focused and active, and I’m building a portfolio as a side-effect.

It’s a bit like giving people a taster for your service. If you are a restaurant, you hand out little canapé things for example, so people get to taste it and buy a full meal if they like it. At fiverr.com you offer services for $5. If you go to a freelancing site, most people find it hard to start a business with zero ratings. But if it’s only a fiver, people are more likely to try it, then you build up a reputation on fiverr, then fingers crossed,a name for yourself.

@madmoo Agreed, learning new skills is definitely a reward too. I would be exploring new techniques and software anyway, so that time was always going to be spent. Making a fiver on top of it is a bonus.

Reply to @madmoo: agreed. I’ve been self-employed for a few months now and since I joined Fiverr, I’m enjoying the constant client interaction. I wish I had joined a little sooner, too.

Reply to @refugeek: That is one of the great benefits of what I do, I get to work directly with clients and I also get to hear great stories about their families since I am helping them start their family trees

Reply to @bigbadbilly: Good point. The more I do together, the faster I complete the work and the more worth $5 becomes for me as a seller.

I live in Michigan, and noone around here wants a graphic designer, especially a graphic designer that’s very shy and has limited portfolio work.

Noone contracts people for 1 or 2 things, like that around here.

So it really helps… me and my portfolio! :slight_smile:

Double post - please delete this one, sorry >_<

Reply to @ixxy048: I agree, once customers find out how good you are they would be repeat customers, and if you have leveled up they could buy your extras worth more than $5.

It’s a kind of startup to show your talent. As a beginner offer service for 5$. For example i create presentation, which takes indefatigable effort and lots of time. Worth more than 5$ but as soon as you startup, and impress your buyers, then that 5$ will be 15$ (this is the case with me now). As a beginner I used to sell my gig which says unlimited no. of slides, but since now i am on level 1 . I now offer only 10-12 slides for 5$ and buyers agreed with that. So 5$ is a first and a but hard working step to your success.

I think the money I make is fair for being able to work from home, at whatever hour I please. The kind of readings I make $4 from here I charge $10 for in person… but then I have to get up early, get dressed in ‘work’ clothes, drive to the venue and set up my stand, be sociable and bubbly during the event (I have complex health stuff going on, so this isn’t always easy!) whereas here on Fiverr, I can do the readings at 2 in the morning in my pyjamas in the kitchen. That kind of freedom’s worth sacrificing a few dollars, for me.

That’s great about doing work in pajamas at 3:40 am. I didn’t think I would earn too much when I get started here. However, that have grown with time and I’m very happy with some of the works I have done, like translating a novel and some eBooks that are actually in sale and my name is there. Everything started with 5!

it is only 3.92… not 5 actually

Reply to @anaspiechick: I agree, it’s a world of trade-offs - choose between working in your pajamas for a cheap rate or driving through traffic everyday for a higher rate.

Reply to @magisworks: I would drive to work in my pajamas for a cheap date… oh crud my eyes… okay I digress sorry

There is a lot of opportunity to upsell once you reach a certain level as tn5rr2012 says. For example, I offer postcard design for $5. I am not really making a killing there as you can imagine. However, I offer quick turnaround for $20 (often added when people need fast delivery), printing for $20, etc. I also get asked to do custom work, which I then quote using my gigs and extras, sometimes upwards of $100 per order. $5 is the loss leader.

Going OUTSIDE OF FIVERR is not permitted so you must be creative to offer your extras in here. It works and it adds to my bottom line (I own a marketing company).

Yep, the extras do make a difference.

I think it’s a natural progression: first you work for $5, to gain some positive reviews and traction on a gig. Once it takes off, you can add the extras and earn a little more.