Is my buyer just messing me about?

lesleywrites

I received an order a couple of months ago, to write a short story. I have a good reputation for ghost writing, I’ve never had a problem with it. The client said he had been referred to me by another client, but did not give me a name. I worked on the story and submitted it. They wanted something with humor and a bit different and I gave it to them. I advertise an end to end gig where they get the story, then I format it for kindle and create a cover.
I sent them a cover they said they liked it. When I asked for their details to put ON the cover, they said they’d changed their minds and didn’t want it.
They asked for changes to the story. I always give unlimited revisions because I want happy customers and I’ve never had problems before. With the revisions I sent them the first part of the story and they didn’t like it. They even asked me to change the Point of view and tense, but what they asked for was 3rd person present which is odd for a book, so I asked for confirmation and was then told to leave it as it was. Eventually I made a list and said that was what I would do. When I delivered again they said they’d need time to read it, so they requested changes but were clear that they couldn’t list changes as they had not read the story. Today they have come back saying that one section is just not good (a section which was in the original) and they still have not finished reading it.
At this point I’ve put a lot of time into this, but I’m wondering if cancellation is my only option. It seems a little unfair since I don’t see myself as at fault, but then I suppose I should not promise unlimited revisions. I’d love some advice from more experienced Fivers. Given that customers can behave this way, I’m wondering about the wisdom of writing short stories for others. If this gig is cancelled, can I publish the story myself? I like it. 😕

I received an order a couple of months ago, to write a short story. I have a good reputation for ghost writing, I’ve never had a problem with it. The client said he had been referred to me by another client, but did not give me a name. I worked on the story and submitted it. They wanted something with humor and a bit different and I gave it to them. I advertise an end to end gig where they get the story, then I format it for kindle and create a cover.

I sent them a cover they said they liked it. When I asked for their details to put ON the cover, they said they’d changed their minds and didn’t want it.

They asked for changes to the story. I always give unlimited revisions because I want happy customers and I’ve never had problems before. With the revisions I sent them the first part of the story and they didn’t like it. They even asked me to change the Point of view and tense, but what they asked for was 3rd person present which is odd for a book, so I asked for confirmation and was then told to leave it as it was. Eventually I made a list and said that was what I would do. When I delivered again they said they’d need time to read it, so they requested changes but were clear that they couldn’t list changes as they had not read the story. Today they have come back saying that one section is just not good (a section which was in the original) and they still have not finished reading it.

At this point I’ve put a lot of time into this, but I’m wondering if cancellation is my only option. It seems a little unfair since I don’t see myself as at fault, but then I suppose I should not promise unlimited revisions. I’d love some advice from more experienced Fivers. Given that customers can behave this way, I’m wondering about the wisdom of writing short stories for others. If this gig is cancelled, can I publish the story myself? I like it. 😕

I suppose I should not promise unlimited revisions.

This: ⬆️ Unlimited revisions is never a good idea. Here, on the forum buyers have come back months and even more than a year later and asked for revisions and CS has supported these buyers.

Given that customers can behave this way, I’m wondering about the wisdom of writing short stories for others.

I think you should keep writing, but get rid of unlimited revisions.

If this gig is cancelled, can I publish the story myself? I like it. 😕

Yes, and warn your buyer that if you cancel the order you get to keep the rights to the story.

Good luck! 🍀

I suppose I should not promise unlimited revisions.

This: ⬆️ Unlimited revisions is never a good idea. Here, on the forum buyers have come back months and even more than a year later and asked for revisions and CS has supported these buyers.

Given that customers can behave this way, I’m wondering about the wisdom of writing short stories for others.

I think you should keep writing, but get rid of unlimited revisions.

If this gig is cancelled, can I publish the story myself? I like it. 😕

Yes, and warn your buyer that if you cancel the order you get to keep the rights to the story.

Good luck! 🍀

Thanks. Any idea how many revisions is reasonable on something like fiction? I think I was just being lazy. I want happy customers, but no-one agrees to unlimited anything if they’re sensible.

We live and learn! Thanks for your reply. 🌻

Thanks. Any idea how many revisions is reasonable on something like fiction? I think I was just being lazy. I want happy customers, but no-one agrees to unlimited anything if they’re sensible.

You could offer 0 revisions and … extra revisions for a reasonable price , most buyers probably wouldn’t mind to pay 5-10 $ for extra revisions

Limiting the number of revisions is important, but so is defining what a revision includes and doesn’t.

Personal opinion on revisions:

I know it’s been a few days, but you said that those revisions were about already-stated requirements you placed that weren’t followed? I’ll admit ‘revisions’ is a… tricky term. Personal opinion: If it’s an error that the Seller made, contrary to your guidelines, then there should be no extra charge. If it’s a change order, then yes, the Seller has the right to charge extra. If it’s a step that didn’t have clear instructions, then you need to be clear that you do not want the Seller to proceed …

Way I deal with it; (FAQ) section, points 1-3:

Introduction– This is not a list on how to make gigs. This is for gigs that are already made that are under-performing, need an overhaul, or just need somewhere to start for self-evaluation/education. It does contain a few general-information bits, and can help during gig creation, but that is neither the focus nor the intent. For more information on any of the following sections or points, please see ‘Other Resources’ under (RRD) at the end of this post. Sections: (TCT) Title, Category, and…

Any idea how many revisions is reasonable on something like fiction?

I do not offer any, but once in a while, I get asked for one. If it is a quick fix, I do it. If not, I charge $5 or whatever I think is fair. I quit offering any revisions at all because it seemed to remind the buyer that they had one coming, and they would use it, whereas if it was not there, I seldom got asked for one.

Archived