Is my seller breaking copyright law?

captainkirk391

Greetings, I recently joined Fiverr in order to find an illustrator for a children’s book I wrote. After receiving a few samples from an illustrator, I moved forward and chose her. I made it clear that these images were for a book and that would be sold, so they needed to be able to be protected and copyrighted. She said that was fine.
After a little bit of character development she sent me an image I was happy with. To be safe I did a reverse image search on the image and I saw it on the website pngegg.com. Granted there were some slight modifications to it, but it’s still very recognizable.
Does anyone have any advice on how to move forward with this?

Hello captainkirk391!
I think that you should definitely tell that to your seller because that is not allowed here on Fiverr and it could get you in big trouble in the future when you actually start selling your book.
If this happened to me I would lose trust in the seller, because why is he sending me someones else’s work and claiming it as his? Does that mean that he can’t do that by himself? That would be really rude towards you.

I would advise you to let him know that you found that picture and its original artists and ask your seller what is that all about 🙂

If you have not placed an order and look further for an artist that draws their own illustrations.

This thread may interest you.

I had such a case - the client gave the dimensions of the picture, gave the reference, I made a sketch, he approved it. I drew the whole picture. And then the edits began. And all the edits consisted in the fact that my picture got blurry, lost details, shadows were highlighted and the like. How do you feel about the fact that your work is done much worse and do not value your time? Below is an example of my work: and what, in the end, the customer sees as the ideal for himself. Which picture d…

Hi there…,
Good questions.

I think that you should ask your seller to draw 100% original to avoid any copyright problem in future.
Especially for printing material.

Plus i saw that pngegg.com Term if Use

It says “As all PNG images in PNGEgg are derived from the network users to share, so PNGEgg does not have sufficient monitoring capabilities to review the picture there are infringement and other circumstances.”

I think it’s very risky to use any material from this site.

Just my two cents.

Archived