Is that fair to take 20% commission on Tip of Buyers

muntasir1

Hi I am really confused that is it really fair to take 20% commission for tip that buyers give us for good work or their highly satisfaction.I think when a buyer give a tip to the seller the credit only goes to the seller not fiverr. Fiverr already get a 20% commission on that order but why they take a part on the tip.i think this is really not good,they shouldnt take anything from the tip.share your experience friends

I see both sides of it. I completely understand why buyer takes commission from the tips. It’d be a way for the more slimy sellers to try to cheat Fiverr out of their commission.

Anyway, I don’t think that this platform’s commission is anything to complain about. You’re listing your work for free, and you’re being exposed to thousands of buyers… for free. You only pay when you make a sale. That gives you nothing to complain about.

i am not complaining actually my point is that the tip is like a gift from the buyers,because they provide this for their extra ordinary satisfaction which is completely made by the sellers and it also make a new business relations between themselves for the future sometimes. so i am just unhappy that someone else take a part from that gift which is given to me only. may be i am selfish 😛

Hi

I’ve seen this explanation before but not sure how this would work. The buyer buys my gig. I deliver the gig. Only after I deliver the gig is there a request for a tip. So before buyer can tip, they have to buy a regular gig…right? So how could a buyer send money as a tip without placing a normal order?

Hello! Let’s say I have a repeat client who trusts me. That client requests a project which costs $500. I will tell my client to place $100 order and once I deliver the project he/she may send remaining $400 using “tips”. And not only repeat client…a new person will also do it if you offer him some discount. If its a $500 project…one can steal $80 from fiverr’s pocket. Its not that hard.

Doing that will break fiverr’s ToS. And currently ToS is you can’t deal with someone outside fiverr. And this is awful and nasty at the same time.

As “carrioncutie” said, “You’re listing your work for free, and you’re being exposed to thousands of buyers…. for free. You only pay when you make a sale. That gives you nothing to complain about.”

When I talk about “exploiting”. I am not talking about old and reputed sellers, they will never do it. New sellers or scammers will try to do this.

I understand what you are saying, but it sounds risky to me for several reasons. (1) if fiverr catches you, your account will be gone and (2) I have some great repeat clients also but asking them to participate in some kind of scheme seems unethical – I’m sure come clients would walk away not come back – reputation is everything.

It works that way only in theory. There is no Fiverr buyer that I would trust enough to think that he wouldn’t show me his middle finger once the deal is done and he has to pay the tip.

Even my private clients whom I totally trust after working with them for years pay me before I start on the job.

It all depends on the perception of each individual to decide whether it is fair or not.

When it comes to the commission one should do his pricing in a way that the cut he/she receives from the deal is what he/she would have if there wasn’t any commission. Problem solved. Case closed. Have a drink!

when a buyer get over quality work from a seller that he(buyer) didnt expect only that time he/she get impress and provide the tip. that credit goes to the seller only,and if he(seller) want he can provide basic simple work but he maintains the loyalty,quality and honestly .so you think there are no values for the quality,loyalty & honesty? you think going the extra mile isnt another skill of a seller?

Don’t you think sellers would tell their buyer, “I’ll just charge you $5 for the gig, but then you send me a $200 tip”, ok…wink wink…

fiverr has to protect themselves from those that would exploit this to the tune of millions.

Archived