Is there anything wrong with .rar files?

9 out of 10 times I deliver a .rar file (because they ordered many drawings at a time or something like that), the buyers would complaint and I’ll have to resend them.

I’m not sure but doesn’t winrar comes with all the window version? At least it’s free and easy to download and I don’t know about others, but it’s popular where I am, like "you know window, you know winrar, unless you’re 5 yo and just starting to learn computer."

The only problem I could think of is the fear of virus hidden in those .rar files. But according to the messages I received, about half of the buyers don’t even know what a .rar file is.

Should I continue using this format?

Sheriff’s Note: Questions like this are frequently asked by sellers so the thread has been moved to the Fiverr FAQ.

Thank you for your answers, I don’t know winrar isn’t that popular, that’s why I’m asking here.

To me, rar or zip or 7zip are the same and I don’t see any different from rar or zip, they’re all just compressed files (I’m not talking about how they work, I’m talking about popularity).

If zip is more popular, I’ll switch to it from now on.

Reply to @fastcopywriter: you don’t have to yell at me, I got your point.

Reply to @miacmht: Sorry, I like writing in caps for emphasis, not yelling. I’ve had bad experiences with .rar files.

Zips do work great, I’m comfortable with them.

I got these complaints, too, so I figure, RAR is not commonly used. My clients asked either for not compressed files or ZIP files. So, I turned to ZIP, and I didn’t get any complaints so far. I use WinRar, too, and it has an option to choose the format when compressing, ZIP included.

I once watched a client via Team Viewer trying to unpack the ZIP file I sent. It took him between 4 and 5 minutes, I remember counting. First, I wanted to tell him that it takes only two clicks, but then I realized it’s a good laugh opportunity, so I just sat back and watched…

RAR is a closed format and the app to open/create rar files (WinRar) technically is not for free; more it’s not included in Windows, so a fresh Windows installation is not able to open rar files!

Different are zip files: Windows (from some version) has read/write features integrated in Explorer.exe process (note, explorer.exe is not iexplore.exe ie Internet Explorer), so users can open a zip file as a folder and can write zip files using “compressed zip folder”.

So my advice is not to use rar files with regular users.

I know a lot of people have no idea what they are and don’t know how to open them. As stated above, I think a simple ZIP would be a better option.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think all versions of Windows extract rar files natively. I remember installing winrar on all of my platforms. I don’t remember what I did on Macs.

I didn’t bother to do it when I moved up to Windows 7 because I don’t encounter them at all, let alone during the course of work. The only time I see them regularly is when dealing with software or related content I don’t need.

In fact, I was looking to replace a set of fonts this week and found two companies selling them. One company’s set downloaded as rar. The other downloaded as zip.

I clicked on the rar first and was reminded for the first time since I moved to Windows 7 a few years back that my computer doesn’t know what to do with it. That’s how long I’ve gone without needing to touch a rar file. I closed it and went with the zip.

I know what a rar file is and I know what I can do to extract it and even I don’t want to be bothered when I can just open a zip file and move on. Stick with zip. :slight_smile:

Rar files are horrible, you need to realize that most of your clients are not artists, art directors and graphic designers, but regular people. Regular people deal in png, jpg, doc and docx. When someone delivers a rar file, it feels like they’re trying to screw me.

Honestly, if you’re getting complaints 9 times out of 10, that should tell you something. I should tell you to change what you’re doing.

Can I send ZIP files to the buyer as he is getting some difficulties downloading the source files.

I get all my graphics files from the designer I use in a ZIP file.