Fiverr Community Forum

It finally happened

I heard the nightmares about people getting their profiles copied and I didn’t think it would ever happen to me because there are far more popular profiles out there.
Hearing the stories of other people, I started being more diligent about who I send my free already written (and copyrighted) samples too. Whenever people just plainly ask for samples (without so much as a sentence or two about their own project) I always check their profile to see if they have ghostwriting gigs up. For example
There were two red flags right from the get go. :triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post:

1. Their profile picture was a stock photo I did one click on and found the image online.:no_entry_sign:
  2. Most clients that message already know the genre they want to work with and don’t ask for multiple samples.:book:
    So, after clicking on their profile I found a very familiar profile description. Almost word for word as an American college graduate traveling the world. Etc. The kicker was that they did have a writing gig, that was exactly the same as mine!:scream::cry:

I don’t know what to do in this situation. I politely messaged them saying I don’t give free samples to other ghostwriters but would be happy to communicate further on the book or story they have in mind. Hoping maybe I am just being paranoid… Though I am not. They haven’t responded for a day or so.

Also, I feel like “cheers” as a goodbye is more U.K. English right? Because I’ve lived in the U.S. my whole life and we only said “cheers” with beer or pretend tea parties. Some do, but it’s rare I think. (Maybe I am wrong about that).

I’d already had my samples copied, so now I feel like I shouldn’t ever give free samples ever again. It’s so frustrating because I feel so used. :frowning:

EDIT: I wanted to sent that image because honestly, if I hadn’t read the forum horror stories I probably would have sent the seller my samples no problem.

1 Like

You should report his/her profile and gig to CS for copyright violation, tbh.

2 Likes

I was thinking about that, but does that count as copyright violation?

Yeah, report them to CS. Explain that the seller copied your gig etc and was asking for a sample so they could use that too.

3 Likes