It's time to stop complaining. Get out there and promote your gigs

jonbaas

I’ve been seeing a lot of complaints from sellers about how they are not getting as many sales or impressions under the new Fiver system. I am sorry to hear that your success on Fiverr is not what it used to be. I sympathize, I really do. I understand how important it is to have steady gig sales. I would love to be the seller everyone buys from as well. HOWEVER, it is not productive to keep complaining about the changes, demanding that Fiverr reinstate their previous rankings system, or even claiming that this new Fiverr is a conspiracy against your previous success here on the site.

To be honest, I see nothing wrong with the way Fiverr is handling their marketplace. Nor are they doing anything inappropriate, secretive or illegal. With all due respect to those who are complaining, the issue here is sellers who feel entitled to the success they wish to have Fiverr give them – without the seller having to do anything other than rake in the free sales and income. In reality, however, we are all offering our services on Fiverr’s website. How Fiverr chooses to maintain their marketplace, or how they choose to rank the services we offer is not for us to decide.

Those who are complaining about these changes should understand that YOU are responsible for your own success in business. Any business. Even Fiverr. You can’t expect someone else to do all the work for you – which is, until recent, what Fiverr was doing (aka, allowing your gigs to reside at the top of all service lists). Please take responsibility for your own success, and promote and market your own gigs elsewhere. Fiverr is no longer guaranteeing success for free – you have to work for it (as you would have to do in any other business venture).

Invest the necessary time in your own marketing and promotion. Promote online where your prospective buyers are located. Encourage people to do business with you. Give them reasons to do business with you, and not your competitors. Do the work required to be seen and trusted. THAT is how you gain loyal customers.

Only YOU can find, build or manufacture your own success.

Fiverr has balanced the scales here on their site. Now everyone has an equal chance to be seen. Please stop complaining. Be productive; get out there and promote your gigs!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely agree! I really like how the new search system works - AND when I stop getting orders, a LITTLE facebook promotion gets me just the right number of orders to keep me going and happy.

Even if you do not get sales immediately, promotion will increase your gig impressions and improve your chances of getting noticed by a few “buyers” at least. Enough orders in quick succession and great reviews on them will help move your gig back to the top, plus you’ll discover a new sense of freedom and gain more control over your business once you come out of your cozy corner and let yourself be “found” through social networks - I strongly encourage everyone to take the time to promote their gigs. It - is - rewarding. And everyone can do it. Yes, even you, random reader!

Reply to @topaz_muse:

Nothing worth pursuing is ever easy. Even saturated markets have potential if you put your mind to it. Look at the real-world automobile market. So many car companies, yet each finds a strong marketing angle, and successfully promotes their vehicles.

If you do something well here on Fiverr, focus on what may be unique about your service, and you’ll discover ways to stand out from the competition.

I must say that I do not agree. I agree to in general and you should work for your success but about promotion part I can’t fully agree.

What’s the point of fiverr ? They are giving you options to sell things without complicating it by creating your own website and they are giving you customers. And they take 20% for it.

So you tell “Promote your gigs elsewhere”… Why should I do that ? If I am logo maker why should I promote fiverr gig instead directly offer my work ? I am here because fiverr gives me customers and fiverr is doing that pretty good so I am happy. I had less sales recently but I improved my gigs, added video and it is again good rate of sales. So I do have nothing to complain about fiverr.

In past 4 years I made $10.000 on fiverr and fiverr made $2500 profit on my sales. I think that is fair. So I paid them $2.500 to promote me, send me clients, allow flawless money management etc… I must say that I will never quit fiverr until it continues bringing me clients. I also must say that I do promote my gigs but not so often. I also gave them a lot of buyers and sellers as people around me know I make money here so I spread a word of mouth about fiverr. I think that is just enough from me.

So, until fiverr keeps bringing new customers to me I will be here talk nice about them like I do now and invite people to join it, like I do now.

Reply to @m2webs:

Truth be told, if you’re already successful here on Fiverr, if you’re already established, if you’re already making a steady $10,000, and you have nothing to complain about, then my original post wasn’t written with you in mind.

I posted as encouragement for those sellers who do not yet have your level of success. You making a point that you don’t have to do anything because you’re already making $10,000 in sales, doesn’t really help with the intent of this thread.

I’m glad you’ve found success here on Fiverr. Let’s try not to flaunt it for those that are still trying to get to the level of success you’ve already achieved.

Reply to @m2webs:

Those who started back when fiverr was still fairly new might not have had to promote as much and by now you already have a client base and your well known on fiverr.

Someone who decides to start selling today might just have to utilize self promotion a bit more in the beginning.

If you can think outside the box and come up with gigs nobody’s offering yet, you might strike gold.

Example, you design web banners, but nobody’s finding you. I just searched the word “Satan” and found only one gig. So if you do “I will design a SATANIC web banner,” you will be found by everyone searching for Satan.

That’s what happened to me and Teespring. I admit this isn’t always possible, but it can bring a lot of traffic.

Reply to @jonbaas: Till one point I can agree with you. But I can add that I never did any kind of promotion neither tried to ask someone to buy my gig to get a review. I just posted my gigs and waited. It was only couple of orders in first 3-4 months and then it slowly started to be more. Currently I have 50-70 per month. So I never did any promotion.

Yes, new sellers should promote themselves a bit to speed up the process but fiverr also should make a system of promoting quality gigs which they do. They have “new sellers” when you search for something.

Instead of promotion I think new sellers should think about what and how to sell. When I joined I offered it twice better for twice cheaper in my category. And I didn’t change it till now. Maybe it will sound too egoistic but I currently have the best offer in my blog mentions category. There are are no better blogs or better prices in it. That’s the one of the reasons I have 100% rating with only 5 negative reviews (some insane buyers) in 2500 orders.

So my suggestion to new sellers is to focus on offering better service or unique service. If it is highly competitive category you must offer it better or more for less money.

If you are, for example in writing category and see that for $5 people mostly sell 300-400 words then you offer 600 words for $5. Yes, it is a hard work but there is no business in the world to make millions without hard work. Later, when you have customer base you can set average price and continue working.

Reply to @mgjohn78: Yes, you are right. But in many cases customer base is a good thing. In my case I do not profit a lot on a big customer base. As I do guest blogging I actually do not like returning customers. If I wrote a post about someones business I will not like to write it again as it is spam so I suggest to people not to order double orders or it will look like spam.

Reply to @m2webs:

Once again, your situation does not apply to this particular thread. You were on Fiverr years before these changes went into effect. The fact that your level of success was achieved by just sitting back and waiting for the orders to come in no longer applies to those who are having trouble gaining sales now. Gone are the days when sitting back and waiting for free success is a valid business model for Fiverr’s newer sellers.

I think if a seller has to bring in most of their own sales by self promoting it almost negates the benefits of using Fiverr, since you’re already paying them 20% commission. It’s really so easy to start a website even if you’re not a webmaster. I started one on Weebly months ago and have successfully promoted myself on Twitter and Facebook. It wouldn’t have made any sense to promote my Fiverr link where it takes potential customers to all my competitors. Plus it’s also safer money-wise. On Fiverr they can always deduct money out of your account and you are helpless in defending yourself in Paypal disputes. Deletion of successful gigs with vague explanations. Automated system that monitors communication that can demote levels. Restrictions on openly communicating with customers (censored words). Sometimes very slow responses in customer service. Basically, you lack a lot of control of your business. Fiverr can be fun at times and an interesting place to learn and experiment with new ideas. Although, I think pretty much every seller here should start their own website on the side and build THAT up with promotion.

Reply to @typingservice:

Excellent points. I actually have a professional website, and I obtain clients through what I list on that website… but I use Fiverr as an extension of that site, to offer unique services not available on my website.

I agree, Fiverr should always maintain a vast, easily searchable, everyone-is-listed gig marketplace. But, regardless of the nature of that marketplace, all buyers should think like businessmen, and not rely on only that marketplace to be their sole source of buyers.

As the old saying goes, “never put all your eggs in one basket.” If you were to fall and drop that egg basket, all your eggs would be crushed. Diversify, promote off facebook, blog about your gigs. If you rely on only Fiverr for buyers, and if something happens to your marketplace ranking, then yes, you may lose all of your buyers.

And if you are someone who loses all your buyers because you relied upon your Fiverr marketplace “ranking”, then you can’t really complain if your Fiverr traffic drops at some point, and you no longer make sales from your gigs.

Fiverr may have its problems in some areas, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take responsibility for our own gig success.

I’ve been in Fiverr about two moths now. I haven’t done any marketing outside Fiverr.

My first month was slow with zero orders. After that I’ve gotten some traffic, I think I’ve done 17 gigs now. I have the luck of having one good returning client who has provided me quite a bit work.

I’ve even declined politely two gigs which I didn’t see good fit for me.

I believe that if your product is good, people will come eventually. Promotion or not. How ever with promotion things will move forward a lot faster.

Good selling and best of luck to all of us!

If your gig is new or not getting sales, it’s a very good idea to create a free blog that is dedicated to your gigs.

Post samples, best reviews, review them yourself in greater details, give overdelivery promo codes, offer a mailing list that you can use to promote your upcoming gigs and related things. Give a small gift to everyone who opts-in. And link back to your gigs.

Then you only need to make the blog go viral. If it offers interesting content and not just ads for your gigs, it’s quite easy to achieve if you come up with some good marketing ideas. Hint: SEO 😉

Guest brigittebauer

Reply to @m2webs: Totally agree. Fiverr just offers a website online marketplace and the sole function is promotional for sellers gigs. That is HOW they earn their keep. A seller can simply dispense with the “middle man” and promote themselves with their own website and domain and reap 100% of the profits if they have to “sell” themselves as well as provide the product or service. What is the point of the middle man if YOU have to do ALL the work. Why pay someone for doing nothing.

I think the strategy of “novel gigs” will be increasingly used by people.

I’ve tried that as well shortening the delivery time to a day on most of my gigs.

It’s kind of a double-edged sword though. As Fiverr gets larger, there are more

possibilities for sales, but also more competition as well.

Archived