Keep calm and stay professional - When buyers underpay

eoinfinnegan

I have had 2 cancellations in the last 4 weeks - both from buyers who completely underpaid by several hundred dollars. I got a third client like this just this morning - $5 paid for $275 worth of work.
In every case, I have sent a nice, friendly “please pay the extra amount required” (in a better worded way) with a custom extra. The first 2 requested cancellations which I granted, but the third, has just accepted the extra amount with a nice comment about how he was unsure as he had seen lots of really low pricing on the site.

My initial reaction to the third one was to write a not so friendly message and cancellation request. After a quick read-over, I figured that I was being too harsh so I deleted it and decided to go back to my usual benefit-of-the-doubt style of response. I guess the bright lights of Fiverr pricing sometimes dazzles people and they get confused or delirious about how much value is here.

image.png.2392f3cf8b31a143656aa5b2087424da.png

Hey, Mr. Finnegan.

Yeah. It sucks when people come on here treating the marketplace like it’s a swap meet/flea market. Sometimes I find myself stepping away from my 💻

Tell ya what when you get some free time listen to Notorious Nika B.I.G Mo’ money, mo’ problems song, you’ll feel better. 😃

momoneymoproblems.thumb.jpg.f0716be474431c5014157e70b2a7504d.jpg

It’s hard for some to resist buying when they see that $5 price so big and bold on the thumbnails. They assume the seller is too insecure to ask for more.

It’s hard for some to resist buying when they see that $5 price so big and bold on the thumbnails. They assume the seller is too insecure to ask for more.

Another reason to move away from the $5 price point. I think most people who do this are the price first (or only) buyers. Pricing yourself higher makes that type of buyer more likely to skip you. But not 100%. There is always THAT buyer.

Another reason to move away from the $5 price point. I think most people who do this are the price first (or only) buyers. Pricing yourself higher makes that type of buyer more likely to skip you. But not 100%. There is always THAT buyer.

$5 is nothing, and therefore, the seller is nothing to them. They have no respect.

I just had someone make an order for $125 for $450 worth of work - it’s my first order cancellation in nine months. Oh well…

I just had someone make an order for $125 for $450 worth of work - it’s my first order cancellation in nine months. Oh well…

Paul, I said I was sorry, sheesh.

I’m curious what was the Buyer’s excuse?

It seems the “Sorry, I didn’t read the gig description” is popular.

How do you handle the “It’s for charity” people?

I tell them that while charities solicit for donations, they still have to pay their bills, and their employees fair prices in order to exist.

I agree with this, adding that to your thumb or description is undercutting your own business. You should only offer a $5 service if that is the value and time it takes to do said service.

I tell them that while charities solicit for donations, they still have to pay their bills, and their employees fair prices in order to exist.

Bingo!

I’ll use this line next time. :ok_hand:t4:

I don’t like the guilt trip some Buyers like to put on me. 😕

“Sorry, I can’t pay you more, I have an ultralow budget.”

smh Eek maybe the Buyer will return after saving enough coins. 😆

Bingo!

I’ll use this line next time. :ok_hand:t4:

I don’t like the guilt trip some Buyers like to put on me. 😕

“Sorry, I can’t pay you more, I have an ultralow budget.”

smh Eek maybe the Buyer will return after saving enough coins. 😆

smh Eek maybe the Buyer will return after saving enough coins.

The only issue with that is that I am a business, finance, and technology writer and they wanted me to rewrite a short-fiction story. I have advised them I may not be the best fit…

The only issue with that is that I am a business, finance, and technology writer and they wanted me to rewrite a short-fiction story. I have advised them I may not be the best fit…

You’re a writer, surely you can do it, just write something… :rofl:

Oh, ok, Gotcha! :ok_hand:t4:

Eoin offers a consultation gig. Which makes sense and can potentially save time.

Do you offer those?

Charge em a grand and sub it for $400.

giphy.gif.e80a570918d729691a7403848fc873cf.gif

Oh, ok, Gotcha! :ok_hand:t4:

Eoin offers a consultation gig. Which makes sense and can potentially save time.

Do you offer those?

Do you offer those?

I don’t - I am not sure how to charge for it, but it might be worth looking into.

I know, but I like to pretend that when someone needs a translator that they should understand that $5 is not to translate an infinite number of words. I even have my rates in my gig image and highlighted in the description just for anyone who MIGHT be mistaken. Sigh…

I don’t - I am not sure how to charge for it, but it might be worth looking into.

I started off with charging a fee for 1/2 an hour, 2 hours and 5 hours of my time and expertise on the subjects and the gigs evolved as what people needed most became clear.

“Profeshnl”

eye twitch

I could be clever and say I used that based on the idea that the clever paradox of using the word “professional” but spelling it in such a bad way would make my point mildly humorous.

However, the truth is that the Keep Calm generator I used wouldn’t fit enough letters so I mprvizd.

I could be clever and say I used that based on the idea that the clever paradox of using the word “professional” but spelling it in such a bad way would make my point mildly humorous.

However, the truth is that the Keep Calm generator I used wouldn’t fit enough letters so I mprvizd.

mprvizd

LOL! I see what you did there. Still made me cringe a bit though, haha

I have had 2 cancellations in the last 4 weeks - both from buyers who completely underpaid by several hundred dollars. I got a third client like this just this morning - $5 paid for $275 worth of work.

In every case, I have sent a nice, friendly “please pay the extra amount required” (in a better worded way) with a custom extra. The first 2 requested cancellations which I granted, but the third, has just accepted the extra amount with a nice comment about how he was unsure as he had seen lots of really low pricing on the site.

My initial reaction to the third one was to write a not so friendly message and cancellation request. After a quick read-over, I figured that I was being too harsh so I deleted it and decided to go back to my usual benefit-of-the-doubt style of response. I guess the bright lights of Fiverr pricing sometimes dazzles people and they get confused or delirious about how much value is here.

a nice comment about how he was unsure

Well, you know - it´s so easy to miss both opportunities to understand the service explained - twice- on gig description and mini ´´package´´ description.

Archived