keep getting ghosted, I dont know why?

alec_mace

I just wanted to rant, i havent seen many discussion about the topic.

the first time this happened, I had been sending progress updates to a client, ( i hadn’t open an order, mistake on me, i know) I was doing emotes for five dollars, five emotes, five dollars, (this is absurdly low price by the way) i send in some final examples, unusable obviously, he liked the first couple but not the others, so i asked him about what revisions he wanted to make, and he just, bailed, i texted him a couple weeks later but no reply, i just took the loss but was extremely frustrated, how hard is it to just give an answer??? either let me change it or tell me you dont want to work with me?

there’s been MULTIPLE instances of people opening conversations saying they want to work with me specifically, (addressed by name, I dont know if you can automate this message) i reply within ten or twenty minutes, no reply, I just assume that I took too long and they went with someone else, even though I think my response time was pretty reasonable

but the one that really ticked me off was this person who messaged me interested in my gig asking about stuff specific to my description. I replied within the MILISECOND. I was on my phone when the notif showed up, clicked on it and gave a reply on the same exact minute they spoke to me, there is no way they did not see it!! they were right there online! they sent a message at 6;32, i replied at 6:32. and nothing, ghosted me, its been days. ugh

was I too quick? if I take ten minutes its too slow, if I replied immediately is too quick? what’s with buyers and an aversion to just say, 'no sorry i changed my mind/i found someone else, ect. I find it extremely disrespectful to just leave someone talking to themselves.

for context, how i usually reply to an inquiry is by saying hello first, and affirming I can do their request, then I just ask for details. EX: hello! I read you do X in your gig description? im looking for blah blah- hello! yes I do X, are you looking for blah blah like this or like this? or alternatively, yes i can do x, are you interested?

I feel like this are very reasonable and to the point. I dont know if im being intimidating or what those people are thinking, or if my competition is online 24/7 and beat me in ten minutes, or if by chance, all of these potential buyers were struck by a meteorite and couldnt reply. but its happened to many times for comfort, and I don’t know if its something im doing wrong and can be avoid it, or people are just really weird that they want a job from fiverr and never log on again.

I just wanted to rant and see if anyone had similar issues, or had advice on how to beat this, or is this just truly part of the seller experience.

• Like 17

• 1 year later...

I would like to join you with a short rant as well, if you don't mind.🥲

The customers are freaking strange dude 🤨. A guy one day came up to me with a $600 order. I was like hell yeah 🥳, that's a nice offer. We talked for a whole month in which he explained what he wants and how it wanted it and everything. I was like ok dude, anything for you. And then one day, whoosh. I mean WTF 😒. Like dude, I spend a whole month understanding what you wanted, I cleared my schedule, I gave you samples, probably worth a $50 gig and you did this to me. Would it really hurt to tell me that Sorry, I am not interested anymore. 

Plus why are people so weird. I once put up a gig that went like 'I would do anything for $5' (inspired by youtube). A guy asked me to send snaps to his friend and ask her for her nudes. First of all WHAT? Second, dude NOOOOOOOOOO! What do you take me for? I am not using my personal account and losing my reputation for $5, even if it's Infront of a complete stranger. (It was not for a loyalty test. He genuinely wanted me to do so and forward him the jpegs.)

I can't even report all the weirdness I see here but at the end of the day, there are also some great people I met here so I would say it's a really great experience being in the market.

P.S- I was ghosted by my last two potential clients simultaneously. THAT IS NOT THE PART OF THE GREAT EXPERIENCE AND I HATE IT.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mr_jackfixit said:

Plus why are people so weird. I once put up a gig that went like 'I would do anything for $5' (inspired by youtube). A guy asked me to send snaps to his friend and ask her for her nudes. First of all WHAT? Second, dude NOOOOOOOOOO! What do you take me for?

Hmmm, if you put up a Gig that literally says "I would do anything for $5", what do you expect, dude. People will take you for a guy who'll do anything for $5. Let me tell you, it's a cess pool out there. And taking such Gig ideas from YTers... well, some of them will post such Gigs specifically with the intention to get weird requests and orders, not boring legit ones.

Be glad that it didn't get you direct orders from the mafia or yakuza, tho. 😉

Seriously, though, of course people shouldn't place orders for things that skirt on the very edges of or are against the terms, of course.

And 👻 Ing others ain't a nice hobby. 

What's with all those threads from 2021 in my newest forum post timeline today? Ghosts of posts. 😄 

I'm curious. Is it still actually possible to publish Gigs of the "I'll do anything for $5" variant these days, or did they fall to the wayside with the "sign holding Gigs" etc.?

Did anyone (try to) post an "I'll do anything for $5" Gig lately, let's say 2022, or at least 2021? (You said "once", Mr. Jack, so I assume it's been a while for you).

• Like 9
  • Up 2

It looks like I used the same strategy like you did in the past.

Providing people with samples before placing orders. Most people appreciated the gesture and continued on with an order, but of course some ghosting had to occur from time to time. Nevertheless, I thinks its a great way to get you first 10/15 orders.

But you already seem to be Level1! If you are struggling with bad clients, rise your prices and enjoy working with better quality buyers.

• Like 8
  • Up 1

• 5 weeks later...

It started happening to me some days ago. Three customers reached out on me for work. The one kept talking about her incident describing what happened to her so I could start working on her request and when I made her an offer she disappeared. It's been 7 days and she never replied to any of messages...And the same partner goes with the second one. The third one replied but he keeps ghosting me after I made him the offer....Really weird people ask for job and never reply....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1