Kids can use fiverr?

psykkopatte

Hello,

there is something I don’t really get, a buyer just messaged me for video editing services as usual, but when I watched buyer’s youtube content I noticed that he is around 13/14 years old.
Curious, I decide to check TOS about age limits in fiverr and… SURPRISE ! Minimum age limit is 13 years old.
So…
I am wondering some things: how can a kid afford long term video services then I am pretty “expensive”, how can a kid even pay services then he doesn’t have own credit card and how do you manage this situation knowing he just films himself randomly with a webcam and screen capture his games and I’m sure he is gonna waste my time and I have too much work out of fiverr because I work for big youtubers and streamers ?

I’m from france, he is from USA so prices are “almost same”

What can forum answers about this 🙂

Hello,

there is something I don’t really get, a buyer just messaged me for video editing services as usual, but when I watched buyer’s youtube content I noticed that he is around 13/14 years old.

Curious, I decide to check TOS about age limits in fiverr and… SURPRISE ! Minimum age limit is 13 years old.

So…

I am wondering some things: how can a kid afford long term video services then I am pretty “expensive”, how can a kid even pay services then he doesn’t have own credit card and how do you manage this situation knowing he just films himself randomly with a webcam and screen capture his games and I’m sure he is gonna waste my time and I have too much work out of fiverr because I work for big youtubers and streamers ?

I’m from france, he is from USA so prices are “almost same”

What can forum answers about this 🙂

Sadly, there are some ways to pass the age filters in the web. For example, picking a fake birth date so the system doesn’t detect that you are under the age. It is also dangerous because the boy could be using his parents credit card spending money.

In the USA there a lot of YouTube videos about gaming, and it is also possible that these kid is the owner of a YouTube Channel. I would not be very surprised if that kid is actually the owner of the credit or debit card that he is using. Right now there’s a lot of opportunity for youth to make a way trough the streaming services like YouTube.

Sadly, there are some ways to pass the age filters in the web. For example, picking a fake birth date so the system doesn’t detect that you are under the age. It is also dangerous because the boy could be using his parents credit card spending money.

In the USA there a lot of YouTube videos about gaming, and it is also possible that these kid is the owner of a YouTube Channel. I would not be very surprised if that kid is actually the owner of the credit or debit card that he is using. Right now there’s a lot of opportunity for youth to make a way trough the streaming services like YouTube.

Yes, I heard stories like this a lot, especially in USA kids using parent credit card, his youtube content is completly empty, there is no way for him to grow a youtube channel with poor quality content like this, 100% he doesn’t know what he is doing and his parents aren’t aware of anything so I will try to convince him to not to buy my services in long term because first it’s not gonna work second it smells bad for parents and me, and third i’m sure he has no idea how youtube game is working and neither to deal with editing services and terms.

Yes, I heard stories like this a lot, especially in USA kids using parent credit card, his youtube content is completly empty, there is no way for him to grow a youtube channel with poor quality content like this, 100% he doesn’t know what he is doing and his parents aren’t aware of anything so I will try to convince him to not to buy my services in long term because first it’s not gonna work second it smells bad for parents and me, and third i’m sure he has no idea how youtube game is working and neither to deal with editing services and terms.

You are such a great person 💯. Some people would try to keep selling to him. It is very sad because I’m sure that there’s a lot of other stories as you said.

Young Youtubers do excist, and some parents actually do support their kids in their hobby. The kid might get funds on their Paypal account from his parents, or they lend their credit card to him. Of course, he might be robbing his parents, but automatically thinking that the kid is wasting your time is a bit weird in my opinion. I’ve done several voice over projects for young buyers (an example would be a voice over for a Minecraft server trailer - for a server owned by a bunch of 12 and 13-year old kids.).

You say the kid si 13-14 years old. The age requirement on Fiverr is 13. So why would you even react to this?

Young Youtubers do excist, and some parents actually do support their kids in their hobby. The kid might get funds on their Paypal account from his parents, or they lend their credit card to him. Of course, he might be robbing his parents, but automatically thinking that the kid is wasting your time is a bit weird in my opinion. I’ve done several voice over projects for young buyers (an example would be a voice over for a Minecraft server trailer - for a server owned by a bunch of 12 and 13-year old kids.).

You say the kid si 13-14 years old. The age requirement on Fiverr is 13. So why would you even react to this?

The thing is that out of fiverr I’m working for popular youtubers and streamers, I usually work with serious people producing high quality content and who know exactly what they are looking for, how do I even edit his videos filmed with a 2005 webcam, bad quality voice, and a poor content as empty as Greenland ? What’s the point of hiring a pro editor for this ?

I don’t wanna be mean but I feel bad to “work” with him knowing that nothing is gonna work for his youtube channel.

Minimum 13 years old age sounds like a shame to me, well, it’s TOS, but I guarantee we both won’t get anything.

What you do are voice over, you can provide it to anyone, what I do is video editing and motion designing, it requieres instructions and expectations from buyer, it has artistic purpose, it’s more complicated to provide, it also depends of what buyer is providing as content.

14yo person can have their own bank account pretty much anywhere in the world with their parents permission. In most countries kids of pretty much any age can have a card given by their parents with parental control, a lot of banks offer this service. It is also legal for kids of any age pretty much anywhere to purchase things, there can be limitations on price tags though.

There is nothing wrong with kids and teenagers being able to buy products and services per se, however I understand where your concern is coming from.
Teenagers not always, but often can be very difficult clients as they typically have limited budgets, high expectations, lack of understanding of business interactions and are very self-concious about their image.
If you feel uncomfortable working with such clients, just say no, there is nothing wrong with choosing who you want to work with. But I would get some polite excuse along the lines of “too busy at the moment”, “not a good fit for your project”, etc. to make it sound like it’s you, not them, since some people tend to get vindictive when they hear “no”.

14yo person can have their own bank account pretty much anywhere in the world with their parents permission. In most countries kids of pretty much any age can have a card given by their parents with parental control, a lot of banks offer this service. It is also legal for kids of any age pretty much anywhere to purchase things, there can be limitations on price tags though.

There is nothing wrong with kids and teenagers being able to buy products and services per se, however I understand where your concern is coming from.

Teenagers not always, but often can be very difficult clients as they typically have limited budgets, high expectations, lack of understanding of business interactions and are very self-concious about their image.

If you feel uncomfortable working with such clients, just say no, there is nothing wrong with choosing who you want to work with. But I would get some polite excuse along the lines of “too busy at the moment”, “not a good fit for your project”, etc. to make it sound like it’s you, not them, since some people tend to get vindictive when they hear “no”.

I know what happens in his mind, he wants to do as every youtubers who have big channels, he has admiration for them, I was like this when I was kid, I’m 24 years old and working for those people now.

I would really feel bad to charge minimum 55€ for a kid dreaming about something he will never get because he has no idea how youtube game is working.

I don’t speak as a nasty guy who doesn’t want to work with a low age buyer, I speak as a guy who is aware of everything and as a person, I can’t get minimum 55€ per video for regular content because it’s delusional to do this.

Simply.

So I will tell him what he has to do first before hiring pro editors for this and at which moment he will be able to do all those projects and stuff

I know what happens in his mind, he wants to do as every youtubers who have big channels, he has admiration for them, I was like this when I was kid, I’m 24 years old and working for those people now.

I would really feel bad to charge minimum 55€ for a kid dreaming about something he will never get because he has no idea how youtube game is working.

I don’t speak as a nasty guy who doesn’t want to work with a low age buyer, I speak as a guy who is aware of everything and as a person, I can’t get minimum 55€ per video for regular content because it’s delusional to do this.

Simply.

So I will tell him what he has to do first before hiring pro editors for this and at which moment he will be able to do all those projects and stuff

If you don’t want to work with him anymore, just drop him. You don’t need to tell him anything, because I’m sure he knows what he’s doing. A kid or not, he can go ahead and follow his dreams. He doesn’t need you, a seller on Fiverr, to tell him what he can and can’t do. If you as a person can’t work with him and take his money knowing you’re “wasting your time”, then just don’t work with him anymore. But remember, we aren’t here to pick our buyers. You should feel lucky that you have success in your gigs and should be grateful of every order you get, no matter how many big youtubers and streamers you work with.

If you don’t want to work with him anymore, just drop him. You don’t need to tell him anything, because I’m sure he knows what he’s doing. A kid or not, he can go ahead and follow his dreams. He doesn’t need you, a seller on Fiverr, to tell him what he can and can’t do. If you as a person can’t work with him and take his money knowing you’re “wasting your time”, then just don’t work with him anymore. But remember, we aren’t here to pick our buyers. You should feel lucky that you have success in your gigs and should be grateful of every order you get, no matter how many big youtubers and streamers you work with.

I haven’t even started to work with him, we just have talked and he has showed me what he was doing, but to block someone on fiverr, buyer has to order once and then we can block.

Being grateful is a thing, but so much people asking for my services, I don’t count anymore, I have to select my buyers in and OUT of fiverr because I have a lot of work from all the people i’m working for.

Once again I am not nasty, I am honnest about that he will never get a good quality video with what he is providing, that’s all, I don’t invent anything, he just can’t hire a pro editor for expecting a good quality video with random things he has filmed with a 2005 webcam, voice sounding like he was in airport and low quality screen capture video.

So yes, he doesn’t need me at all, but at the moment he contacted me and was ready to spend minimum 55€ per week to hire my services in knowing that it’s delusional, I have my words to say.

I haven’t even started to work with him, we just have talked and he has showed me what he was doing, but to block someone on fiverr, buyer has to order once and then we can block.

Being grateful is a thing, but so much people asking for my services, I don’t count anymore, I have to select my buyers in and OUT of fiverr because I have a lot of work from all the people i’m working for.

Once again I am not nasty, I am honnest about that he will never get a good quality video with what he is providing, that’s all, I don’t invent anything, he just can’t hire a pro editor for expecting a good quality video with random things he has filmed with a 2005 webcam, voice sounding like he was in airport and low quality screen capture video.

So yes, he doesn’t need me at all, but at the moment he contacted me and was ready to spend minimum 55€ per week to hire my services in knowing that it’s delusional, I have my words to say.

You should be able to block someone who has not ordered from you. I have done this with people whom I can sense are going to be “bad news” or not a right fit for me.

In the messages, you can either click the SPAM button on their message OR the REPORT button and just put as your reasoning, that you do not wish to work with this person, if it is their age that you are concerned about or whatever else you can put that too.

But you CAN block them from messaging or buying from you.

GG

You should be able to block someone who has not ordered from you. I have done this with people whom I can sense are going to be “bad news” or not a right fit for me.

In the messages, you can either click the SPAM button on their message OR the REPORT button and just put as your reasoning, that you do not wish to work with this person, if it is their age that you are concerned about or whatever else you can put that too.

But you CAN block them from messaging or buying from you.

GG

Ah, because when i go to their profile, block button doesn’t appear, i noticed it appears only once someone ordered, or maybe i’mwrong, i will try to find out, thank you

Ah, because when i go to their profile, block button doesn’t appear, i noticed it appears only once someone ordered, or maybe i’mwrong, i will try to find out, thank you

You have to block them through the messages you have received. I also would go to the profile and get frustrated that there was no Block button unless I had done an order from them…then, I realized HOW to block them and avoid trouble altogether through reporting their message as SPAM or just REPORTING. Once you do that, they should not be able to contact or order from you.

GG

You have to block them through the messages you have received. I also would go to the profile and get frustrated that there was no Block button unless I had done an order from them…then, I realized HOW to block them and avoid trouble altogether through reporting their message as SPAM or just REPORTING. Once you do that, they should not be able to contact or order from you.

GG

But when we report someone, it goes to moderators ? Cause report is made for this normally.

But when we report someone, it goes to moderators ? Cause report is made for this normally.

You can also mark their messages as SPAM and that will block them from contacting you as well.

Yes, if you Report, someone may look at it - that is why you have the option to give your side and why you are blocking them. I would say if someone is using this constantly, it could get you into trouble - but, I have only had to use it a handful of times over the years and have not had issues. Then again, I used it for really good reasons!

What you are risking is this “kid” ordering from you anyways, and then you either have to do the work, or take a hit due to cancelling. If you think this kid will go away nicely if you just say you cannot work for them, I suppose that avoids having to block them using the above methods.

GG

You can also mark their messages as SPAM and that will block them from contacting you as well.

Yes, if you Report, someone may look at it - that is why you have the option to give your side and why you are blocking them. I would say if someone is using this constantly, it could get you into trouble - but, I have only had to use it a handful of times over the years and have not had issues. Then again, I used it for really good reasons!

What you are risking is this “kid” ordering from you anyways, and then you either have to do the work, or take a hit due to cancelling. If you think this kid will go away nicely if you just say you cannot work for them, I suppose that avoids having to block them using the above methods.

GG

Mmm, true, okay, so using it to block, but not abuse of it, roger that, thank you.

The thing is that out of fiverr I’m working for popular youtubers and streamers, I usually work with serious people producing high quality content and who know exactly what they are looking for, how do I even edit his videos filmed with a 2005 webcam, bad quality voice, and a poor content as empty as Greenland ? What’s the point of hiring a pro editor for this ?

I don’t wanna be mean but I feel bad to “work” with him knowing that nothing is gonna work for his youtube channel.

Minimum 13 years old age sounds like a shame to me, well, it’s TOS, but I guarantee we both won’t get anything.

What you do are voice over, you can provide it to anyone, what I do is video editing and motion designing, it requieres instructions and expectations from buyer, it has artistic purpose, it’s more complicated to provide, it also depends of what buyer is providing as content.

Your assumptions bear witness that you have very little knowledge about what a voice-over actor does and what our work entails.

Voice acting requires acting, training, instructions, and the same level of expectations and instructions as with any other service like video editing. I’m not sure why you would think that, but voice acting involve a lot more than just speaking into a microphone.

I get bad buyers from time to time, with poor scripts or horrendous videos that need a voice over.

I must say I find it a bit arrogant to assume that the service you provide is so exclusive that you can only offer it to high-level people. If that’s your assumption about being a freelancer, I’m wondering why you’re on a website called Fiverr and not working for a boutique agency?

If you think about it, that 13-year-old kid might have ambitions to become a big Youtuber one day. He might not be on that level now, but do you honestly expect someone of that age to be a professional high-level Youtuber?

I want to give you an example here:

Take Linus Sebastian (from Linus Tech Tips). Check out his very first video on Youtube.

Now check out one of his more recent videos:

So… What was your point again? That you’re “too good” to work for a low-level 13-year-old kid with a webcam? Fine - sure! Then just set your rates to ensure that only high-level buyers approach you.

I know editors that make 4-5 times what you charge for a gig per hour, and some that even have six-figure incomes working 3-4 hours per day. You charge less than 50 bucks for a video. That makes it even more surprising that you would see yourself as so far above your buyer in this case.

It’s totally ok to “fire the client.” I’ve done that on multiple occasions. For example, if a buyer comes to me with low-quality source material (for example, a script full of bad grammar and syntax), I’ll try to educate the client as best I can and doing what I can to help them out. But if they come back with the same script again, I will, at some point, let the client know that I might not be the best fit for their services.

But at the end of the day, the buyer is paying for the food on your table. If you don’t need or want to work with them, let them know in a professional manner.

But being elitist and arrogant about it, just because someone is just getting started and want you to edit their crap content, isn’t the right way to go about it – in my opinion.

hqdefault.jpg.99d702b6adb3bf5f8355e9ac3c27d484.jpg

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.657b958b2d18764713cb7a8e1fab8ef4.jpg

You bring up an interesting question.

I have never really considered the age of any of my clients.

I did get a job once (a few years back) and only after I had communicated back-and-forth working out the details did the Buyer tell me he was a teen.

There were no issues, but I think it is a good question that you ask.

In my former brick-and-mortar business we had an age limit for service.

Your assumptions bear witness that you have very little knowledge about what a voice-over actor does and what our work entails.

Voice acting requires acting, training, instructions, and the same level of expectations and instructions as with any other service like video editing. I’m not sure why you would think that, but voice acting involve a lot more than just speaking into a microphone.

I get bad buyers from time to time, with poor scripts or horrendous videos that need a voice over.

I must say I find it a bit arrogant to assume that the service you provide is so exclusive that you can only offer it to high-level people. If that’s your assumption about being a freelancer, I’m wondering why you’re on a website called Fiverr and not working for a boutique agency?

If you think about it, that 13-year-old kid might have ambitions to become a big Youtuber one day. He might not be on that level now, but do you honestly expect someone of that age to be a professional high-level Youtuber?

I want to give you an example here:

Take Linus Sebastian (from Linus Tech Tips). Check out his very first video on Youtube.

Now check out one of his more recent videos:

So… What was your point again? That you’re “too good” to work for a low-level 13-year-old kid with a webcam? Fine - sure! Then just set your rates to ensure that only high-level buyers approach you.

I know editors that make 4-5 times what you charge for a gig per hour, and some that even have six-figure incomes working 3-4 hours per day. You charge less than 50 bucks for a video. That makes it even more surprising that you would see yourself as so far above your buyer in this case.

It’s totally ok to “fire the client.” I’ve done that on multiple occasions. For example, if a buyer comes to me with low-quality source material (for example, a script full of bad grammar and syntax), I’ll try to educate the client as best I can and doing what I can to help them out. But if they come back with the same script again, I will, at some point, let the client know that I might not be the best fit for their services.

But at the end of the day, the buyer is paying for the food on your table. If you don’t need or want to work with them, let them know in a professional manner.

But being elitist and arrogant about it, just because someone is just getting started and want you to edit their crap content, isn’t the right way to go about it – in my opinion.

I never said it was easier what you’re providing, the difference with me is that I “cook” buyer content, let’s say.

Once again I don’t act arogant or anything but you can’t understand anyway… don’t reply pls.

And excuse me if I don’t want to charge 55€ mini per week for a child doing delusional thing with probably his parent credit card (that I doubt about their agreement).

Also, he hasn’t even ordered anything from me, I haven’t told him anything about this topic, when I asked him to make a description, scripts, time codes etc that I ask to every buyers, he has never replied, so.

You bring up an interesting question.

I have never really considered the age of any of my clients.

I did get a job once (a few years back) and only after I had communicated back-and-forth working out the details did the Buyer tell me he was a teen.

There were no issues, but I think it is a good question that you ask.

In my former brick-and-mortar business we had an age limit for service.

The age isn’t a problem if the person has serious project, but here, it was like someone who asked for a mason company to build a wooden hut with 4 palettes…

Archived