Learn from my mistake!

donhopkin

I have been a fiverr seller for past 2 years providing wordpress services and everything was going great. Made about $3000 during that time and really saw this becoming a full time job for me. However, recently one of my regular buyer ordered a gig which was to fix his wordpress website (clone of fiverrs itself). I didn’t pay that much of an attention to what it really was and fixed his issue. Later, my gigs were taken off the fiverr search results which lead to no more orders for me. Contacted fiverr support and was told that it was against the TOS to provide services to such websites. Sadly, this is the end of my fiverr journey.

So my tip to other fiverr sellers is to BE VERY CAREFUL with that kind of situation. Read the TOS very carefully and don’t neglect these small details as it will give you a big shock. I had been following the rules of fiverr (did not take any sale out of fiverr etc) and still ended up with this. Learn from my mistake.

Best of luck with your sales. Wish you all the very best!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don’t want to give up your good rating and 2 years worth of work, you’ll just have to work a little harder. You won’t be able to rely on Fiverr for orders anymore, you’ll have to promote your gigs on your own unfortunately. I would hate to see you leave when you’ve made so much money. Don’t give up. If there’s a will, there’s a way. I wish you the best of luck with everything you do.

If you don’t want to give up your good rating and 2 years worth of work, you’ll just have to work a little harder. You won’t be able to rely on Fiverr for orders anymore, you’ll have to promote your gigs on your own unfortunately. I would hate to see you leave when you’ve made so much money. Don’t give up. If there’s a will, there’s a way. I wish you the best of luck with everything you do.

You’re still a LEVEL 2 seller. Don’t give up on Fiverr. You can easily make a come back!

Since you’re still a LEVEL 2 seller, I don’t think it will be as bad as it is when you first start out on Fiverr as a newbie. You may have to do a little promotion and work a bit harder at first, until your gig takes off… but it will all be worth it!

If I were you, I would re-create the gig you had so much success with and include in the description you WILL NOT work on Fiverr clone websites, websites with adult content, or anything else that violates the Fiverr TOU.

Reply to @prohelper27:

Not sure if that is going to help. I have 500 or so positive reviews on my gig and because of this stupid mistake I am going to lose all that.

Anyway as for a come back, all of my gigs are taken off the search result. I don’t know if making a new gig will show up in search results on fiverr.

They should!

As long as they are legitimate gigs that do not violate the Fiverr TOS or the TOS of another website, you should be good to go!

If they do not show up in the search results, simply contact customer support. But I am pretty sure they will. You still have your account correct? You weren’t banned?

As far as I know, none of my gigs would show up in search results. They decided to limit my account, not just a gig. I didn’t have just one gig, I had few more and they are all invisible in search. I have contacted customer support but they are not willing to help me on this. At this point, I have lost faith in fiverr. I loved it when it was small and they took good care of any issues that I had (100%). Now they have many many many members and losing one is not a big deal for them.

I was so passionate about working on fiverr and made at least 10 fellow students in my university who are doing pretty good on fiverr as a seller. Always been loyal and this is how they ended me and my passion.

I respect their decision but the fact is that I am not happy with their decision.

On top of that, they suggested me to drive traffic to my gigs on my own. If I could bring buyers to buy my services, I wouldn’t pay $1 out of $5 to fiverr or anyone out there. In fact I wouldn’t even need fiverr if I could sell my services on my own without any platform.

• 2 months later...

This is an informative thread. After reading about donhopkin’s unfortunate experience, I specifically read through the entire “Terms of Service” agreement published here on Fiverr. It does NOT mention anything about fiverr look-a-likes, fiverr clones, fiverr competing websites, etc. Does anyone have a reference for this? I am all about following the rules, as long as the rules are clearly stated. It’s hard to be a mind reader though.

This is an informative thread. After reading about donhopkin’s unfortunate experience, I specifically read through the entire “Terms of Service” agreement published here on Fiverr. It does NOT mention anything about fiverr look-a-likes, fiverr clones, fiverr competing websites, etc. Does anyone have a reference for this? I am all about following the rules, as long as the rules are clearly stated. It’s hard to be a mind reader though.

I had an experience like this once, long story short, a new ISP company in my area, a local one, hired me to do some web work which was a side thing they did. So I handled their clients. Some time went by and I took in a client that asked if I could create a system just like the companies. So I went to my boss about it (Btw the system is unique, it lets you view signal strengths via a large map of the city/state and reset your modem via their site) and a few other things that they had full rights to. So, once I contacted the manager, he went to the higher ups. They asked me if I did any work for them, I said no and the manager explained that we cannot help anyone with scripts or design elements that are ripping off their software/product.

So, I think since Fiverr was the first of its kind, they probably have legal stuff to protect them against people stealing the name and the way they function and such. It makes sense, if I had a one of a kind website and it had all the legal stuff figured out, copyrights and all that good stuff, I wouldn’t allow anyone to potentially jeopardize that. So in a way it’s not just a legal thing between you and Fiverr, they’re protecting themselves and their name. Least that’s my opinion.

I had an experience like this once, long story short, a new ISP company in my area, a local one, hired me to do some web work which was a side thing they did. So I handled their clients. Some time went by and I took in a client that asked if I could create a system just like the companies. So I went to my boss about it (Btw the system is unique, it lets you view signal strengths via a large map of the city/state and reset your modem via their site) and a few other things that they had full rights to. So, once I contacted the manager, he went to the higher ups. They asked me if I did any work for them, I said no and the manager explained that we cannot help anyone with scripts or design elements that are ripping off their software/product.

So, I think since Fiverr was the first of its kind, they probably have legal stuff to protect them against people stealing the name and the way they function and such. It makes sense, if I had a one of a kind website and it had all the legal stuff figured out, copyrights and all that good stuff, I wouldn’t allow anyone to potentially jeopardize that. So in a way it’s not just a legal thing between you and Fiverr, they’re protecting themselves and their name. Least that’s my opinion.

@donhopkin I’m probably being a little dense here, but what exactly was it that you did that violated the ToS? Was it just providing work to a site that is a look-alike? Was that site a competitor of Fiverr’s or something? A bit confused… That doesn’t seem worth destroying someone’s entire account. I could see them maybe putting you on some kind of probation or just removing that gig, but limiting your entire account? What ever happened to firing a warning shot?

I know I’m new to selling here, but the more and more I read it seems like absolutely anything you do or offer on here can violate the ToS in some way. I really don’t get it, especially when I seem some of the gigs and sellers that are able to get away with murder…

Archived