Learning from Hard Feedback

chrissym001

I work very hard. It is, therefore, difficult for me when I get a 3 or even a 4 star rating from a client. Since working on Fiverr I have received two 3 star ratings. My most recent 3 star rating was yesterday. I felt like the client had slapped me in the face. Why didn’t she tell me she had an issue especially since I had explicitly said that she was to contact me if she had any issues before posting a review? I sent her a message to find out the answer to that question. Her response has taught me a few valuable lessons that I want to share with the Fiverr community.

Lesson #1: Perfect Your Craft

I will never be a perfect writer. Writing comes naturally to me, but my writing style may not appeal to everyone. Doing more reading and practicing more writing variations can help me become a writer who appeals to every client. I hope to use some of the feedback she gave to me to hone my skills.

Lesson #2: Embrace Your Client’s Product

Your client could be selling stuffed tigers or regular photocopiers. It is important for you to connect with what they’re selling. The more you connect is the better your product will be. This particular client had a product I really wasn’t connecting with. Reminiscing on the job, I believe that played a huge role in what I produced. Conjuring up creative thoughts related to the product can help whatever you sell on Fiverr come to life. A writer can produce a superb piece. A graphic designer can produce a product that exceeds the client’s expectations. A marketer can help the client find the right customers. The possibilities are endless.

Lesson #3: Don’t Force Yourself to Do a Job When Stressed

Some people handle loads of pressure and stress well. I don’t. Balancing Fiverr with a full time job has been difficult for me. There are days when I am exhausted and I have a splitting headache, but I still have a job to complete. Thankfully, I give myself enough time with the jobs so that I am able to rest and start afresh the next day after work. There have been a few occasions, however, when I chose to work instead of rest. The results reflected that. Rest is important. Take care of yourself first so that you are able to take care of your clients.

Getting a 3 or 4 star rating is hard for me. About 90% of my ratings have been 5 stars. The remaining 10% have taught me a lot about what I can do to perfect my craft. I hope that these lessons I’ve shared can help other freelancers excel in their fields.

Communicate with buyers as often as possible to get their idea of the output they seek. Most buyers will be glad to answer as they want their value for money spent. If we as sellers can talk them out for what work is needed, we may as well estimate their tone of review beforehand. Except for some of those who refuse to clarify enough!

In most cases it won’t matter. I think Eoin put it best when he said that a couple of bad reviews aren’t the end of the world, and sellers should start embracing them instead of letting bad buyers push us around. This advice is especially good if you properly frame the bad review with your counter review, explaining the situation in a clear, professional manner. Most future buyers won’t really care about a few bad reviews in the sea of hundreds of good.

Archived