Limerick Heaven (or Hell)

emmaki

Whether you’re from county Limerick, have a tenuous association with the place or just like limericks, this is the place to be. 🔥

Other humorous forms of poetry etc accepted too.

What is a Limerick?
en.wikipedia.org

220px-Hercules_%26_Waggoner2.jpg

Limerick (poetry)

A limerick is a form of verse, often humorous and sometimes obscene, in five-line, predominantly anapestic meter with a strict rhyme scheme of AABBA, in which the first, second and fifth line rhyme, while the third and fourth lines are shorter and share a different rhyme. The following example is a limerick of unknown origin: The limerick packs laughs anatomicalInto space that is quite economical.But the good ones I've seenSo seldom are cleanAnd the clean ones so seldom are comical. The form...

I don’t know how to make limericks!
Sure you do. Feast on Edward Lear and just make up some shite that rhymes with due inspiration:

“There was an Old Man with a nose,
Who said, 'If you choose to suppose,
That my nose is too long,
You are certainly wrong!'
That remarkable Man with a nose.”

Check out the illustrations. This is great stuff! http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/BoN/bon010.html

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And anti-limericks are welcome, like this one I’ve lazily pilfered from the wiki:

There was a young man of Japan
Whose limericks never would scan.
When asked why this was,
He replied "It’s because
I always try to fit as many syllables into the last line as ever I possibly can

There’s a young lass who lives in Nantucket
Who carries her cash in a bucket
She says with a grin,
“I’m not one to sin
But I’d sell out my Gran for a ducat!”

[details=New Improved Ending for Romeo and Juliet]Romeo and Juliet: The language is a little archaic, a little flowery. That William Shakespeare. He tried, all right? Romeo and Juliet has endured for over 400 years, but it’s got a major story problem.

We pick up with the new and improved, shorter ending in Act V, Scene III, right after the death of Paris.

In this version, Juliet starts to wake up a little quicker, to move things along.

Scene III. Verona. A churchyard; in it the monument of the Capulets.  Romeo: In faith, I will. Let me peruse this face.    Mercutio's kinsman, noble County Paris!    What said my man when my betossed soul    Did not attend him as we rode? I think    He told me Paris should have married Juliet.    Said he not so? or did I dream it so?    Or am I mad, hearing him talk of Juliet    To think it was so? O, give me thy hand,    One writ with me in sour misfortune's book!    I'll bury thee in a triumphant grave.    A grave? O, no, a lanthorn, slaught'red youth,    For here lies Juliet, and her beauty makes    This vault a feasting presence full of light.    Death, lie thou there, by a dead man interr'd.                                         [Lays him in the tomb.][Juliet begins to stir]   Romeo: Yon nymph, Juliet, she looketh hot whilst yet she sleepeth.[He admires her approvingly as she wakes.]      Juliet:  Wha... wha happened?   Romeo!  Romeo!  Therefore art thou, Romeo![Romeo kneels to the ground and pulls out a ring.]   Romeo: Marry me, Juliet, you'll never have to be alone.   I love you, and that's all I really know.   I talked to your dad – go pick out a white dress   It's a love story, baby, just say, 'Yes.'   Juliet: Yeseth!  Oh, yeseth!  Verily!Enter Friar [Laurence], with lanthorn, crow, and spade.  Friar. Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night    Have my old feet stumbled at graves! Who's there?  Bal. Here's one, a friend, and one that knows you well.  Friar. Bliss be upon you! Tell me, good my friend,    What torch is yond that vainly lends his light    To grubs and eyeless skulls? As I discern,    It burneth in the Capels' monument.  Bal. It doth so, holy sir; and there's my master,    One that you love.  Friar. Who is it?  Bal. Romeo.  Friar. How long hath he been there?  Bal. Full half an hour.  Friar. Go with me to the vault.  Bal. I dare not, sir.    My master knows not but I am gone hence,    And fearfully did menace me with death    If I did stay to look on his intents.  Friar. Stay then; I'll go alone. Fear comes upon me.    O, much I fear some ill unthrifty thing.  Bal. As I did sleep under this yew tree here,    I dreamt my master and another fought,    And that my master slew him.  Friar.[He walks in on Romeo and Juliet making out, in a wholesome mannerappropriate for two 15-year-old kids.]  Friar.  Romeo!  Juliet!  Romeo and Juliet [in unison]:  We're getting married!  It's a happy ending!                                                   [Exeunt omnes.]THE END

End of the New and Improved Ending of Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare[/details]

There´s a greenlogo-ed page on the internet

Where if you got 5 bucks you can place a bet.

You might win a big prize,

or just a nasty surprise,

but there´s The Ranting Pot too, so don´t you fret.

I am posting from email for muh badges:

There was once a fellow called Eoin

Whose name’s pronunciation was unknown

Even though it had a certain mien

The poor fellow was constantly seen

to be despairing like a flagellated protozoan

Conclusion: Eoin is awful to find rhymes for. I do not know what a flagellated protozoan does exactly, but dammit it rhymes. I also have no idea how to pronounce mien, but “meen” seems like a reasonable stab in the dark, or perhaps “mee-yen”

There was once a place to get shit done

But sadly the servers did not run

as the #doers wailed in despair

the trusty staff did the servers repair

And that shit was done, all for a bit of fun

I wonder the email posting screws up formatting. …

EDIT: I deem the email posting to be

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg.3658304c8d2e9ee6308068a8048126a6.jpg

Conclusion: Eoin is awful to find rhymes for. I do not know what a flagellated protozoan does exactly, but dammit it rhymes. I also have no idea how to pronounce mien, but “meen” seems like a reasonable stab in the dark, or perhaps “mee-yen”

How do you post via email?

I do not know what a flagellated protozoan does exactly, but dammit it rhymes.

In German you call that: Reim dich oder ich freß dich.

Don´t know what it does either, but I´m certain it´s green.

How do you post via email?

I don’t know, sometimes I get emails notifications of a topic I’ve posted in. You just respond to that and boom, badge. If you’re not getting those emails, just fiddle about with that thing under the green reply button, as I think you can toggle it there.

I don’t know, sometimes I get emails notifications of a topic I’ve posted in. You just respond to that and boom, badge. If you’re not getting those emails, just fiddle about with that thing under the green reply button, as I think you can toggle it there.

That makes sense. Email is so 2016 though.

I´ve tried a few times, the replying through email that is, but it always tells me I can´t and to contact CS, so I just, don´t, you know, it´s so 2016 anyway. 😺

I tried once to reply through email,
but it was even worse than by snail.
I sent a pigeon instead,
but the silly thing fled.
So I´ll just go and have a fine ale.

http://www.google.com

I was going to make a limerick about Badge farming (I am attempting the sharing badge now), but badge is too much work.

LIMERICK CHALLENGE: make a limerick using Hungary as a rhyme. Bonus difficulty: no made up words. Have fun, suckers! The link above may prove helpful in this quest.

EDIT: how the hell do I get the share thing to work so I can get a badge?

I do not know what a flagellated protozoan does exactly, but dammit it rhymes.

In German you call that: Reim dich oder ich freß dich.

Don´t know what it does either, but I´m certain it´s green.

Reim dich oder ich freß dich

What if the the non-rhyming person/object isn’t particularly tasty?

EDIT: the flagellated etc is basically plankton. Big science words here

Reim dich oder ich freß dich

What if the the non-rhyming person/object isn’t particularly tasty?

EDIT: the flagellated etc is basically plankton. Big science words here

Just swallow them/it whole, won´t matter as much then.

No idea, but looking for them, there seem to be at least two? First Share, Nice Share, if those aren´t the same one after all.

Badges btw only are queried once a day, so you might have to just wait it out, or so I read. Sounds familiar? Yeah maybe.

clicks on shared protothing info, just in case there´s a badge in that somehow for one of us ; )

Just swallow them/it whole, won´t matter as much then.

No idea, but looking for them, there seem to be at least two? First Share, Nice Share, if those aren´t the same one after all.

Badges btw only are queried once a day, so you might have to just wait it out, or so I read. Sounds familiar? Yeah maybe.

clicks on shared protothing info, just in case there´s a badge in that somehow for one of us ; )

Look! I shared your thing! Now I’m sharing the thing that I shared! Still no badge. I’m giving up now.

Continuing the discussion from Limerick Heaven (or Hell): Badges. I did say there was nothing to see here!

http://www.google.com

I was going to make a limerick about Badge farming (I am attempting the sharing badge now), but badge is too much work.

LIMERICK CHALLENGE: make a limerick using Hungary as a rhyme. Bonus difficulty: no made up words. Have fun, suckers! The link above may prove helpful in this quest.

EDIT: how the hell do I get the share thing to work so I can get a badge?

There was a young fellow in Hungary.

For his start-up he wanted some luxury. (1)

Bought the moon for a fiverr,

And used his screwdriverr,

Now there´s a logo in the moon over Hungary. (2)

(1) courtesy of RhymeZone, luxury rhymes with Hungary…yeah right.

(2) see OL (Opening Limerick), cf. nose-suppose-nose

Look! I shared your thing! Now I’m sharing the thing that I shared! Still no badge. I’m giving up now.

Continuing the discussion from Limerick Heaven (or Hell): Badges. I did say there was nothing to see here!

We´ll start <.< to sound insane soon lol

There was a young fellow in Hungary.

For his start-up he wanted some luxury. (1)

Bought the moon for a fiverr,

And used his screwdriverr,

Now there´s a logo in the moon over Hungary. (2)

(1) courtesy of RhymeZone, luxury rhymes with Hungary…yeah right.

(2) see OL (Opening Limerick), cf. nose-suppose-nose

That’s not bad. I think angry’s the only word that works though.

There was once a man who was angry

To find himself stuck in Hungary

"Enough paprika already I do declare!"

Cried the man with an exasperated air

As he made haste to the nunnery(1)

(1) Eh, close enough

Archived