Fiverr Forum

Little experiment

Over the past 3 weeks I have had a large number of people ask for mutual cancellations. Most of the time this is after they have placed the order (just a couple of hours or so). They say that 15 days is too long and thus wish to cancel (despite it saying 15 days when they order). I decided to do an experiment on 10 mutual cancellation orders in the past 2 weeks (yep, that many, I have no idea why so many recently)

I started off by declining the cancellation and saying these words:

"Just to let you know, cancellations, whether mutual or otherwise do affect the seller negatively. By negatively I mean that I could potentially lose my Top Rated Seller status that I have worked two years for. I mean, I am happy to accept your cancellation, I just want you to be aware that because you did not read something properly it is affecting me negatively (my note: I know that they read everything properly, they just want faster delivery so say they haven’t, one guy said that I bumped up my delivery time from 1 day to 15 days after he ordered :/). If you wish to cancel then please state that you are aware that it will affect me"

Out of 10 orders placed how many wanted to go through with the cancellation and actually said “I am aware that this will affect you”? drum roll…ALL 10. Shows how much buyers care. I mean, I know I am not going to lose my level over a small amount of cancellations, but still, it would be nice to know that there are some compassionate buyers out there :confused: Seems as though people just want to cancel to harm you :slight_smile:

Oh,

and before the standard argument comes up ‘mutual cancellations do not hold as much weighting as normal cancellations i.e. late delivery’ they really do. They hold exactly the same weighting in Fiverr V2 as people are reduced in level by cancellation % as opposed to the previous version of Fiverr where there was a clear distinction between mutual cancellation and late delivery cancellations in the Fiverr system. If you hit around 20% cancellation rate overall then you will most likely lose your level. If I had another 200 people doing this then I could quite easily lose my level :o (i never have things cancelled for late delivery now as nothing goes late).

Sheesh! That’s really heartbreaking. I thought you were going to have a positive outcome where those buyers kept the orders knowing it would affect you. That’s horrible.

Reply to @alliemadison12: Same here! I was gearing up for some great revelation about how buyers had no idea and were just as annoyed by the policy as sellers. That is a major bummer.

It surprised me too.

The sad thing is, about 7 of those people were those who weren’t actually paying for their gig as they got it free with the Fiverr app promotion. This means that they were willing to actually ‘mess up’ my gig without them actually losing a single penny.

Reply to @ryangillam: Ryan, I find that part especially sad. No money exchanged and still they couldn’t take a free product. Instead, they CHOOSE to hurt another person. That’s people for ya! :frowning:

Nice to know. I think Fiverr should make an official post/ announcement to the buyers that they are hurting sellers when they cancel an order even out of their mistake

I have a question can a seller decline cancellation if a buyer raises a mutual cancellation request? What if I actually deliver what is promise. Will I be forced to cancel?

damoninc said:
Nice to know. I think Fiverr should make an official post/ announcement to the buyers that they are hurting sellers when they cancel an order even out of their mistake

It is not going to matter. If customers don't care that people's gigs are being damaged by their own negligence then a post won't change that.

pculiar said:
I have a question can a seller decline cancellation if a buyer raises a mutual cancellation request? What if I actually deliver what is promise. Will I be forced to cancel?

You can decline the cancellation and complete the gig. The customer can leave negative though :) ANDDDDDD I had one cancellation where I got in touch with customer support as the customer was confused about the delivery time (once again). I said I didn't want to cancel. They said I had to and agreed it would cause a problem with my cancellation rate. They said the only one I could avoid cancellation is to offer a bonus to the buyer (they said give him free articles) to entice him away from cancelling.

Just so people know, the ‘free’ gigs that were handed out count twice in your cancellation rate from what I can see :slight_smile: This is because a gig worth $0 is purchased from you followed by a $5.00 one. These both need to be cancelled and when they were my number of cancelled orders went up by 2 (i think) trying to work it out now though.

This is all disappointing to hear. I also hoped to read a happy ending when I first started–but then, why would it be in the ranting plot?