Fiverr Community Forum

Little risk for seller for incompetence or incompliance - Retained by buyer

I have purchased over 3K with you guys, and have noticed that I have gotten into the bad habit of buying the exact same service from more than one seller. Here is why

If the seller decides to bail on a gig they cite that they are incapable (oftentimes just unwilling) to complete the order they just ask for a cancellation. No worries when this is legitimate:

Sometimes they just misunderstood or claim that buyer’s instructions were inadequate. If the buyer points out that the instructions were in the original order, they oftentimes still choose to cancel. I cannot prove it however, I suspect it is because they fear that they might not receive a great rating.

In these cases, they just choose to ghost the buyer till the system deleted the order.

Ultimately, there are too many scenarios where there is no discipline for them to not complete the order.

Too often, the buyer is stuck without a product, and further behind.

Sellers only get a score on the orders they complete.

Sellers can literally, (as in one of the orders I am buying today) be in a bad mood and choose to lie that they cannot finish the order. In this particular case, I worked more diligently making sure the seller had what he needed than he did in getting my order done.

I have spent a lot more money here than, most. I have a great reputation and I tip well. And, I give awesome ratings!

11 Likes

that’s why it’s best to discuss about the project before you place an order.

the system doesn’t delete orders , not sure what you mean by that

not all the jobs can be done all the time , that’s why it’s best to discuss about the project before placing an order.

7 Likes

Good points made by you. However, none of those address the original challenge of the buyers retaining the risk for seller’s seemingly lack of accountability to taking projects they cannot complete. Nor the challenge where they choose to not perform in projects they can complete.

I have dozens of real examples that prove my point.

3 Likes

I am not sure what I meant by that either… HA. I should have elaborated, if a seller asks to cancel an order and the buyer chooses NOT to cancel the order… Legitimately, when the seller claims the information they need is not available – and the buyer explains it was in the original order… They sellers still seem to usually just ignore the order. Yes, I am sure the system gives my money back. But, again not accountability there either.

They only get a visible rating for completed orders (that get rated) but they are scored on their analytics/dashboard for stats like completion rate so if they cancel >10% in the last 60 days they’ll lose their current level if they have one or fail to advance to the next level if they were going to. So I don’t think there’s little risk to sellers in doing that. With a lower level they’d not be able to have as many gigs active etc.

5 Likes

I agree with you. I’m new to Fiverr, and I just receive a message from a buyer. The message was too weird. Imagine he just send me a link to a certain Google Doc and the files for the work. When I ask for more information, the buyer tells me to review the Google Doc. The Google Doc does not answer any of the questions I ask but he tells me that is all the instruction.

Up to now I have not heard anything else from the buyer. I think buyers should provide all the information that will make the workflow smooth before the project begins. Is not a good think for the seller to start working on a project they are confused about.

You agree with one of the tenants of my post. you statement agrees with very little else of my post. Technically, the seller sets the terms of engagement or whatever the official offer is named. Read the Terms and Conditions. No on reads the terms and conditions. Everyone wants to sign a contract, few want to uphold their side of the contract.

1 Like

how doth art know how much thy spends?

1 Like

It was already suggested but from the perspective of a seller who is also a buyer on fiverr - make sure to contact the seller upfront about the project. It’ll help both sides to decide if the job is doable.

As a seller: This year I had almost no cancellations and the only ones I had were due to the fact that the buyer did not contact me upfront (as requested on the gig page), purchased the wrong package or expected a service I’m not even offering. More simple: I only had to cancel orders if a buyer doesn’t like to communicate.

As a buyer: I had no order that has been cancelled at all. I always check out a seller upfront and contact him/her to make sure my vision is doable and to check out how the seller communicates.

But I do also know that there are a lot of (especially new) sellers who will tell you almost anything just to get a job to start their fiverr career. Well, just to see that they are not capable of finishing the order right in the middle.

Already all well said to you here.
I think so, It’s best to discuss the project before you place an order.

This is where your requirements come in! If you take time to set up your requirements in such a way that it makes them choose from check boxes that make it mandatory to answer questions. A buyer should be willing to commit at least a few minutes to complete and answer the requirements. This may be different with voiceover but if you structure your requirements like: what is the brand image you need? Then they check the boxes: formal, high tech, natural, casual etc.

Ask the questions and force them to pick an answer that best suits the project. This does two things: it steers away buyers who won’t commit to you and helps them think through the project from your point of view but also shows them you are serious and know what you are doing which gives confidence to the buyer too.

Does this make sense?

To me, a cancellation is the kiss of death and is something, that as a seller, I avoid at all costs. It’s as bad as a negative review. Your gig has to be so tight with requirements that both the seller and buyer are comfy.

2 Likes

I have an accountant, or anyone can drop their transactions in a spreadsheet.