Live Backgrounds or even green screen editing in

ceceliavo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there.

I’m not 100% sure what it is you’re asking, but I think I do.

Green screening, is done like this. (Quick version).

Set up a green backround for yourself. Green sheets, even green construction paper if you have it. (You’ll have to tape together a lot of it though). Myself? I went to the fabric store and purchased a bunch of it. The greener the better. Make sure you it is big enough to allow you to stand far enough away from it when filming so you don’t leave a shadow.

Next, light up the room. For new greenscreeners, try to make the light as diffused as possible, this is to remove shadows. Again. You want as little shadows as possible. More light, and stand as far away as you can so you don’t create them.

Next, after filming you color key. I use After Effects, but there’s a lot of free stuff out there that have it as a feature.

Basically, it takes the green color and makes it transparent, showing anything you put behind it. That’s why you don’t want shadows, because the shadows will make the ‘Green’ darker which will make it harder to “Key out” the green wall you made. That’s one of the reasons you pick the ugliest green color you can find. It makes it easier to Key.

After that, slap whatever you want in the backround, a picture, or something you filmed earlier and there you go. You’re in front of it.

That’s the basics. Before you go hunting for green fabric or paper you should track down a “Color Keying” program.

Oh, and you can use Blue as well. You choose Green or blue depending on what kind of cloths you will be wearing. When using green you don’t want to wear any green cloths because they will become invisible… Or maybe you do? Same goes for blue.

Hi there.

Set up a green backround for yourself. Green sheets, even green construction paper if you have it. (You’ll have to tape together a lot of it though). Myself? I went to the fabric store and purchased a bunch of it. The greener the better. Make sure you it is big enough to allow you to stand far enough away from it when filming so you don’t leave a shadow.

Next, light up the room. For new greenscreeners, try to make the light as diffused as possible, this is to remove shadows. Again. You want as little shadows as possible. More light, and stand as far away as you can so you don’t create them.

Next, after filming you color key. I use After Effects, but there’s a lot of free stuff out there that have it as a feature.

Basically, it takes the green color and makes it transparent, showing anything you put behind it. That’s why you don’t want shadows, because the shadows will make the ‘Green’ darker which will make it harder to “Key out” the green wall you made. That’s one of the reasons you pick the ugliest green color you can find. It makes it easier to Key.

After that, slap whatever you want in the backround, a picture, or something you filmed earlier and there you go. You’re in front of it.

That’s the basics. Before you go hunting for green fabric or paper you should track down a “Color Keying” program.

Oh, and you can use Blue as well. You choose Green or blue depending on what kind of cloths you will be wearing. When using green you don’t want to wear any green cloths because they will become invisible… Or maybe you do? Same goes for blue.

Hi there.

Hi there.

Hi there.

oldbittygrandma is correct! But you only actually need 1 light, or even natural sunlight. So long as the light is diffused it produces very little shadow. It’s easier to do a single light setup than a multiple light setup for someone new to doing it. Multiple lights create multiple angles for shadows, thus more setup. That’s also where the distance comes in, the furthur away you are the less shadows are created. A soft box would make any light usable, and they’re easy to make. Basically, just something in front of a light to make it softer. Very cheap and it would eliminate a need for multiple lights. The other reason a lot of people use a 3 light setup is to have light on the persons shoulders. This helps ‘Pop them out’ of the backround. But, using soft light nulls that almost. Most sit-coms are made using soft light, it’s only when you get into better cameras/lenses that you require more pop due to the depth of field of the higher quality camera. Experiment, have fun with it.

In reality, it’s all up to the person doing it. I’ve worked on numerous large scale productions that do everything by the book and get great results. Obviously. But I’[ve worked on numerous small, no budget productions that get close to the same effect. Now that you got the basics, it’s all about experimenting! 😉

oldbittygrandma is correct! But you only actually need 1 light, or even natural sunlight. So long as the light is diffused it produces very little shadow. It’s easier to do a single light setup than a multiple light setup for someone new to doing it. Multiple lights create multiple angles for shadows, thus more setup. That’s also where the distance comes in, the furthur away you are the less shadows are created. A soft box would make any light usable, and they’re easy to make. Basically, just something in front of a light to make it softer. Very cheap and it would eliminate a need for multiple lights. The other reason a lot of people use a 3 light setup is to have light on the persons shoulders. This helps ‘Pop them out’ of the backround. But, using soft light nulls that almost. Most sit-coms are made using soft light, it’s only when you get into better cameras/lenses that you require more pop due to the depth of field of the higher quality camera. Experiment, have fun with it.

In reality, it’s all up to the person doing it. I’ve worked on numerous large scale productions that do everything by the book and get great results. Obviously. But I’[ve worked on numerous small, no budget productions that get close to the same effect. Now that you got the basics, it’s all about experimenting! 😉

I’ve played around with natural light, single lights and multiple lights for a green screen and after all three I still feel that the multiple is best as it will remove that shadow if you angle it right in any direction but you have to make sure the lights are all one color and bright enough. I went to school for video production and had to do a giant presentation which placed one of my friends on what seemed like a live TV show so I guess I can say I am half a professional on it but I never had the money of space for my own personal green screen room like we had in our school.

I’ve played around with natural light, single lights and multiple lights for a green screen and after all three I still feel that the multiple is best as it will remove that shadow if you angle it right in any direction but you have to make sure the lights are all one color and bright enough. I went to school for video production and had to do a giant presentation which placed one of my friends on what seemed like a live TV show so I guess I can say I am half a professional on it but I never had the money of space for my own personal green screen room like we had in our school.

Archived