Long-term work outside of fiverr

cristophergoes

If the client approached you on Fiverr, you all will have to continue working on Fiverr. This isn’t as hard as you may think it is. Most of my clients are long term on here, and we just take things one order at a time and stick to a loose schedule of when I send orders that fits their needs. Be excited at the prospect of some potential consistent work (which can be rare here) and lay out a plan with your client!

If the client approached you on Fiverr, you all will have to continue working on Fiverr. This isn’t as hard as you may think it is. Most of my clients are long term on here, and we just take things one order at a time and stick to a loose schedule of when I send orders that fits their needs. Be excited at the prospect of some potential consistent work (which can be rare here) and lay out a plan with your client!

Be excited at the prospect of some potential consistent work (which can be rare here) and lay out a plan with your client!

Not gonna happen. If someone is proposing that they are either a scammer or not interested in working through Fiverr at all for other reasons (fees, or trying to do business outside for a 20% discount since the seller would be making the same, for example). They are not going to become a long term client here 90% of the time.

Some clients can’t work on Fiverr anyway. For example, the maximum delivery time is 30 days. Project longer than that? No can do (following the system, you can always work around it but then it’s a mess if there are problems). Logging work hours? No can do. Paying you money in advance (imagine I got a job that involves travelling, or buying materials)? No can do.

Fiverr works well for one time projects with a defined scope, or projects that can be broken down into gigs. Not all work is like that. For example, if I was looking for a virtual assistant that would charge by the hour for a 6 month contract, I would never use Fiverr. If I was looking to hire an employee, Fiverr would not work. It’s simply not good for that. However, it’s still good to find talent that can do those things. So there’s where the people coming here and trying to take people out of the platform come from.

Be excited at the prospect of some potential consistent work (which can be rare here) and lay out a plan with your client!

Not gonna happen. If someone is proposing that they are either a scammer or not interested in working through Fiverr at all for other reasons (fees, or trying to do business outside for a 20% discount since the seller would be making the same, for example). They are not going to become a long term client here 90% of the time.

Some clients can’t work on Fiverr anyway. For example, the maximum delivery time is 30 days. Project longer than that? No can do (following the system, you can always work around it but then it’s a mess if there are problems). Logging work hours? No can do. Paying you money in advance (imagine I got a job that involves travelling, or buying materials)? No can do.

Fiverr works well for one time projects with a defined scope, or projects that can be broken down into gigs. Not all work is like that. For example, if I was looking for a virtual assistant that would charge by the hour for a 6 month contract, I would never use Fiverr. If I was looking to hire an employee, Fiverr would not work. It’s simply not good for that. However, it’s still good to find talent that can do those things. So there’s where the people coming here and trying to take people out of the platform come from.

I guess when I saw “long term job,” I thought it was comparable to the sorts of projects I do when people commission 100k word novels or outlines. In my context, a long term job means multiple orders over a couple months are needed. Now that you’re saying that, this does read more like a possible scam… 😅

I guess when I saw “long term job,” I thought it was comparable to the sorts of projects I do when people commission 100k word novels or outlines. In my context, a long term job means multiple orders over a couple months are needed. Now that you’re saying that, this does read more like a possible scam… 😅

As I outlined above, not all such contacts are scams. Most definitely are. Some are just trying to find someone to hire long term in real life, and Fiverr doesn’t work for that. Of course sellers can’t communicate with a buyer and then take him off the platform. However, the buyer can just do some research and find the seller outside directly. It’s super easy in most cases, and there ain’t no rules against that.

Personally, I would really like Fiverr to introduce a monthly retainer option, where I’m paid upfront (not gonna wait 30 days of work to get paid, sorry), and with a lower commission (it’s ridiculous to charge 20% for long term work).

Based on what I’ve read on the forums, Fiverr are hot on detecting communication that encourages sellers to work outside of the platform. Understandably they do not want to lose revenue. If you show any sign of agreeing to work outside of Fiverr you are risking at least an account warning if not suspension. From what I understand, this is one of the more serious Fiverr ‘crimes’.

In fact there there was a recent forum post from a seller who responded to a buyer in exactly the same situation as you. The seller told the buyer that they would not work outside of the platform, and yet Fiverr appeared to misunderstand the message and issued a warning anyway! So, if I was you, I would respond using very neutral wording (so as not to trigger an automatic alert) along the lines of “What you are asking is not possible under Fiverr’s terms of service. I am happy to continue working with you only through Fiverr”.

Thank you very much for your answer

As I outlined above, not all such contacts are scams. Most definitely are. Some are just trying to find someone to hire long term in real life, and Fiverr doesn’t work for that. Of course sellers can’t communicate with a buyer and then take him off the platform. However, the buyer can just do some research and find the seller outside directly. It’s super easy in most cases, and there ain’t no rules against that.

Personally, I would really like Fiverr to introduce a monthly retainer option, where I’m paid upfront (not gonna wait 30 days of work to get paid, sorry), and with a lower commission (it’s ridiculous to charge 20% for long term work).

Totally agree thanks

Based on what I’ve read on the forums, Fiverr are hot on detecting communication that encourages sellers to work outside of the platform. Understandably they do not want to lose revenue. If you show any sign of agreeing to work outside of Fiverr you are risking at least an account warning if not suspension. From what I understand, this is one of the more serious Fiverr ‘crimes’.

In fact there there was a recent forum post from a seller who responded to a buyer in exactly the same situation as you. The seller told the buyer that they would not work outside of the platform, and yet Fiverr appeared to misunderstand the message and issued a warning anyway! So, if I was you, I would respond using very neutral wording (so as not to trigger an automatic alert) along the lines of “What you are asking is not possible under Fiverr’s terms of service. I am happy to continue working with you only through Fiverr”.

very much in accordance with what you mentioned at the end, I think it’s very true

• 5 months later...

You must relax a bit because it must be that you have never worked while communicating online…

We need multiple ways of communicating throughout a project and especially when the money comes in to fiverr you should have no problem… You cant spread warnings for this…

Take a second to consider your thoughts because if (buyers and sellers) wanted to scam you, then we would and you would never find out. Its very basic logic

With respect

• To protect our users’ privacy, user identities are kept anonymous. Requesting or providing Email addresses, ■■■■■/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.

• Any necessary exchange of personal information required to continue a service may be exchanged within the Order Page.

Users may receive a warning to their account for violations of our Terms of Service and/or our Community Standards or any user misconduct reported to our Trust and Safety team.

The above is from the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

• 1 month later...

hello how are you all?

I want to share my personal opinion on this matter. 
we work all in fiverr but sometimes we want to take our buyer outside fiverr to earn more money. Like we don't want to pay fiverr cut 20%. It is a bad move cause you think you gain more profit but ultimately you will lose you gig rank and also if you try in open discussion to take out buyer outside fiverr, fiverr will block you from fiverr. so, please stay on fiverr while working on any project. Thanks

In other words, read Fiverr's Terms of Service (the same terms you were supposed to read when you signed up, not to mention that you also had to check the box stating that you have read the terms and that you're agreeing to them), and don't break the rules.

Oh, and congratulations on becoming a Pro seller!

4 minutes ago, catwriter said:

In other words, read Fiverr's Terms of Service (the same terms you were supposed to read when you signed up, not to mention that you also had to check the box stating that you have read the terms and that you're agreeing to them), and don't break the rules.

Oh, and congratulations on becoming a Pro seller!

Thank you 🙂

There is no reason at all to take a buyer outside of fiverr. We are sellers on fiverr. Also we are freelancers ans professionals for years (my occasion).

As fiverr sellers we agree with the terms. I adore fiverr and I like this way to have clients around the world with the protection of fiverr! 

Archived