Looking For Advice From Fiverr Writers

I have a couple of issues I would like some honest advice from.

1.) I suspended my ebook writing gig, because it bottlenecks my order queue, and the orders for these kind of gigs seem much more involving to please the customer, etc. etc. With the introduction of custom orders, I seem to have this particular sort of customer trying to order these write/rewrite gigs through my other gigs. Do any other writers have this type of problem? I know I should just refuse such custom orders, and the bottle-necking seems unavoidable and has multiple times resulted in another client cancelling their order to my detriment. Thoughts?

2.) Speaking of other clients cancelling orders that are overdue, does anyone else find it incredibly annoying that Fiverr seems to cut off all contact methods with these buyers? I know I could easily work out the issues if I could contact the couple of clients I have had who have cancelled a gig the minute they were able without contacting me or anything…

I’m still not sure why extending your delivery time on the higher word count gig (or on all gigs) wouldn’t help with this problem. If you find that you don’t have enough time to finish one of these orders, that they’re creating a bottleneck wherein work is arriving more quickly than you can get it done, slowing down the workflow and giving yourself more time to complete it make sense.

That way, by the time you’ve finished the orders that came in before it, it’s not late or about to be late. Delivery times should take into account not just how long it takes you to do that particular gig, but how long it takes you to do that particular gig based on how much other work is in your queue.

The only gig that I regularly had high volume orders on was my ghostwriting gig and I always had it set out to the longest possible delivery time. That if someone ordered 20,000 words, it wouldn’t completely eliminate my ability to continue taking other gigs. If you’re getting a higher workload than you can handle, with custom orders or with the gig, giving yourself more time all around seems to make sense.

1. Writing is tough! If your gig was popular before, I would advise you to re-activate it but extend the amount of time for delivery. This way you have more time to complete a single order which should help with the bottlenecking. I found that when I increased my time for delivery from 3 days to 5 days, I was able to complete more orders during my free time than have to stop my whole life to complete orders. I generally have more orders in my queue now, but I have much more flexibility. Plus, I have more customers willing to order extra fast!

2. If your orders are overdue, you most definitely need to increase your delivery time. Overdue = really bad. Delivery time doesn’t matter as much as you think; buyers are generally more interested in you producing quality work and communicating with them than they are about the order turnaround. And if they DO need faster turnaround, encourage them to purchase the extra fast add-on so that at least you’ll be compensated!

Thank you for your feedback. One point I was trying to make is that the delivery time on the gigs is from time of order until time delivered. If you have multiple gigs as I do, say a 250 word writing gig (with an extra 250 word gig-extra) and then you have a 2500-3000 word ebook write/rewrite gig, getting an order in the latter gig can really bottleneck your queue, especially if the buyer wants multiple revisions, particular fonts (after the fact), etc.

I have found that the ebook rewrite gigs tend to attract a different type of client than the smaller gigs and tend to bottleneck the seller’s queue when you have multiple gigs of different lengths. I suspended this latter type of gig because I have not been able to find a way around the bottleneck.

I have learned that the custom order feature basically gives ebook buyers a workaround to these bottleneck gigs even if you don’t offer a gig for them. I realize this is my fault for accepting a custom order, but I was wondering if other writers have found a successful way to accept these orders while keeping them from bottle-necking their order queue.

As far as extra fast add-ons go, I unfortunately have the experience that the majority of times, clients prefer to pester you to death as opposed to paying for any extra length of time. I have rarely had an “extra fast” add-on purchased, but I frequently have buyers contacting me incessantly in an effort to rush the order before it is actually due.

The lengthening your delivery time advice is not terribly helpful, because delivery time does not take into account the wild variable of how many other orders (of various sizes) you need to finish before you can even begin the newest order. Delivery time seems, to many buyers, to mean how long that order takes to complete from start to finish.

It seems a simple solution to me …list that particular extra as a separate gig with much longer then normal load time, that way you don’t cut out your market.

newspoet said: The lengthening your delivery time advice is not terribly helpful, because delivery time does not take into account the wild variable of how many other orders (of various sizes) you need to finish before you can even begin the newest order. Delivery time seems, to many buyers, to mean how long that order takes to complete from start to finish.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's how freelancing/work-for-hire works. :) Feast or famine is the name of the game. It's your responsibility to calculate as best you can how to allow yourself the time you need, without creating to possibility of too much down-time. There is absolutely nothing you can do that will guarantee a consistent and comfortable work flow. Fiverr (and similar platforms) are particularly tricky because there are variables you have no control over, e.g., "mutiples" ordered that must be completed within the time frame of a single gig.

You have to use your experience to estimate your delivery times, and learn how to juggle effectively. The more you do it, the better you will become. Best of luck.

Edit: I should clarify that this is particularly true of creative work. Freelancing by dishing out pre-made product, or services which aren't subjective by nature is much easier to schedule.

Reply to @itsyourthing: Well said. This is what I’m continually trying to improve as I get used to this fiverr gig work. The uncontrollable variables like orders coming in at all hours of the day, “multiples” being ordered–sometimes incorrectly and without adding the extra day(s), and such do make it a challenge here. But I find myself constantly tweaking both my gigs and my way of working so I can keep up with both longer and shorter jobs. I saw one forum member here say she’ll start her day with a longer job, then do some quick orders, then go back to a longer one or end the day. I like the idea of pacing the work like that, and I’m still experimenting with how that works for me.

Thank you all for your feedback. I am mostly aggravated with myself for failing to accurately judge exactly how much to adjust times, or which gigs to suspend, etc. It is a trial and error process which I am still figuring out. :slight_smile:

Yep, it does take some time to ‘guesstimate’ what works best. Don’t beat yourself up, @newspoet, there will always be curve balls, but you’ll figure it out. As @writerlisaz says, you need to experiment awhile. :slight_smile: