Love-hate relationship with coffee and caffeine

rankinfinite

I have always had a love-hate relationship with coffee and caffeine. When I regularly drink it, I think it would be better for my health and my career to not drink it, and when I don’t, it goes the other way round.

It has been 42 hours since I last drank coffee, and I am having a very strong migraine. I have been drinking pots of it without a single day off since November 2015.

What do you think? Should I continue with my withdrawal or would it be beneficial if I go back to drinking it?

Biologically, some people do not process it fast. They can get severe symptoms from it. I am one of those people. I have had a DNA test which showed that genetically I can’t process caffeine well. I sometimes get heart palpitations from it. I still like it and drink it sometimes. It depends on how it affects you.

I went for the past year without any caffiene and in the past two weeks have been drinking one small cup every morning and enjoy it very much but don’t plan to make it a permanent habit.

I recommend you cut down on it and have one or two cups a day at the most.

Do not drink instant coffee. It contains harmful chemicals used in the processing that can cause cancer.

Biologically, some people do not process it fast. They can get severe symptoms from it. I am one of those people. I have had a DNA test which showed that genetically I can’t process caffeine well. I sometimes get heart palpitations from it. I still like it and drink it sometimes. It depends on how it affects you.

I went for the past year without any caffiene and in the past two weeks have been drinking one small cup every morning and enjoy it very much but don’t plan to make it a permanent habit.

I recommend you cut down on it and have one or two cups a day at the most.

Do not drink instant coffee. It contains harmful chemicals used in the processing that can cause cancer.

I also have a problem with coffee 😬

Oh snap, iced coffee is based on instant coffee 🤯

Well, considering that it’s the only coffee that doesn’t do me any immediate harm, I’ll keep using 👀

Guest offlinehelpers

This is on a par with asking Doctor Google! 🙂

If you want to drink coffee, eat cheese, walk a tightrope - it’s entirely up to you!

Do as you please. If you cut back or quit coffee/caffeine all at once, headaches and such will be bad.

If you choose to slow down or stop just do it slow. Cut back by a half cup for 2-3 days, then cut a bit more, repeat until you are where you want. Tapering off reduces or eliminates withdrawal symptoms. (This works with other substances too.)

Instant coffee is high in acrylamide, a chemical compound that has been shown to cause cancer in animals. According to the Food and Drug Administration, acrylamide can also cause nerve damage. Acrylamide happens naturally in certain foods during high-temperature heating.

There are benefits to coffee drinking. Instant coffee contains magnesium but there are better ways to get it.

Instant coffee is high in acrylamide, a chemical compound that has been shown to cause cancer in animals. According to the Food and Drug Administration, acrylamide can also cause nerve damage. Acrylamide happens naturally in certain foods during high-temperature heating.

There are benefits to coffee drinking. Instant coffee contains magnesium but there are better ways to get it.

So even Coffee has a chance to cause cancer now? Damn…

So even Coffee has a chance to cause cancer now? Damn…

That was about instant coffee, not brewed coffee.

Dietary acrylamide may play a role in Alzheimer’s

Scientists have known for years that acrylamide is capable of causing nerve damage in humans, including muscle weakness and impaired muscle coordination, particularly from industrial exposure to large levels of the chemical. Now, new laboratory studies suggest that chronic dietary exposure to the chemical is capable of damaging nerve cells in the brain and could potentially play a role in the development of neurodegenerative disease,

Scientists have known for years that acrylamide is capable of causing nerve damage in humans, including muscle weakness and impaired muscle coordination, particularly from industrial exposure to large levels of the chemical. Now, new laboratory studies suggest that chronic dietary exposure to the chemical is capable of damaging nerve cells in the brain and could potentially play a role in the development of neurodegenerative disease,

So coffee we get at Starbucks / Cafe Coffee Day is brewed coffee…

Coffee we make at home such as Nescafe Classic is instant coffee?

You sound like my dad, which happens to be a food scientist, your opinion is the same as when he speaks to me while I make my Nescafe frappe.

So coffee we get at Starbucks / Cafe Coffee Day is brewed coffee…

Yes. I drank Nescafe Classic and saw that it is the highest with that dangerous chemical.

It’s seriously dangerous.

I stick to mostly water now, and filter it first. And I drink about two quarts a day. I make fruit smoothies also. I like frozen mango, peaches and strawberries with ice in a blender.

Yes. I drank Nescafe Classic and saw that it is the highest with that dangerous chemical.

It’s seriously dangerous.

I stick to mostly water now, and filter it first. And I drink about two quarts a day. I make fruit smoothies also. I like frozen mango, peaches and strawberries with ice in a blender.

What do you suggest as a replacement? Brewed coffee - do you have any examples of good brands that make that?

What do you suggest as a replacement? Brewed coffee - do you have any examples of good brands that make that?

Yes brewed coffee is much better due to not having that chemical. I’m not a coffee drinker usually so I can’t recommend anything. I go out every morning to a restaurant and sit outside and drink a cup of brewed coffee for the past two weeks. It’s amazing the level of morning alertness I feel from it, which is very nice.

Boiled coffee, the kind where you put the ground directly into the boiling water and let it steep for a while, contains a huge amount of cholesterol unfortunately, since that is my favorite type. All coffee has some cholesterol but that is the worst for it.

Yes brewed coffee is much better due to not having that chemical. I’m not a coffee drinker usually so I can’t recommend anything. I go out every morning to a restaurant and sit outside and drink a cup of brewed coffee for the past two weeks. It’s amazing the level of morning alertness I feel from it, which is very nice.

Boiled coffee, the kind where you put the ground directly into the boiling water and let it steep for a while, contains a huge amount of cholesterol unfortunately, since that is my favorite type. All coffee has some cholesterol but that is the worst for it.

I go out every morning to a restaurant and sit outside and drink a cup of brewed coffee for the past two weeks. It’s amazing the level of morning alertness I feel from it, which is very nice.

This sounds like a splendid morning ritual to start the day.

I go out every morning to a restaurant and sit outside and drink a cup of brewed coffee for the past two weeks. It’s amazing the level of morning alertness I feel from it, which is very nice.

This sounds like a splendid morning ritual to start the day.

It’s my favorite part of the day. The restaurant is next to a large park and body of water. It’s lovely.

Do coffee makers make brewed coffee? Do you think I should buy a coffee maker?

Yes they do. It’s best to brew your coffee if you even have to have coffee at all. The thing is that as a single person you end up with more than you can drink yourself although there might be some that brew one cup. Those single cup ones that use pods are great and make excellent coffee, but can be more expensive overall. One pod will make one large cup of coffee, and people love those for the quality of the coffee and the convenience, but they do cost more.

Consider that for any coffee, you are running boiling water through plastic parts also. That picks up chemicals too, such as cancer causing PCB’s.

Yes they do. It’s best to brew your coffee if you even have to have coffee at all. The thing is that as a single person you end up with more than you can drink yourself although there might be some that brew one cup. Those single cup ones that use pods are great and make excellent coffee, but can be more expensive overall. One pod will make one large cup of coffee, and people love those for the quality of the coffee and the convenience, but they do cost more.

Consider that for any coffee, you are running boiling water through plastic parts also. That picks up chemicals too, such as cancer causing PCB’s.

Okay, now it’s like you are actually quoting my dad, seriously. He had issues with me using my “Dolce Gusto” maker because it’s made out of plastic parts. Actually, a lot of items we eat everyday cause cancer, it is best to be physically active, and balance it out with a lot of fresh food (fruits, vegetables).

Especially this is the issue in the US, where you can find a lot of GMO, and food with a lot of additives that are actually forbidden in Europe (by EU laws).

Archived