Fiverr Forum

Low rated buyer leaves low ratings for seller

I had a buyer a few weeks ago, who asked for a short voice over. It was an easy $5 gig, and he told me in the messages that he was very happy with the quality.

Then, the feedback notification came up, and I left him a five star review. And then found out that he left me a 4 star one. -_-

Now, I knew 4 stars isn’t the end of the world and I had twenty 5 stars on the gig before that, so I moved on. From what I’ve read on this forum, moving on is a good idea in these cases, unless the rating was truly abysmal.

Then, he ordered another gig yesterday. I delivered the voice over and communicated politely like I always do. He said he was satisfied with the work. I asked if he needed any modifications, and he said no.

I left him a 5 star review, he left me a 4 star one.

You guys know how Fiverr works. You can get dozens of 5 stars, but two 4 stars will definitely affect your ratings.

At this point, I was getting worried. I knew asking about the rating is against TOS, so I messaged and asked if he’s unhappy with the voice quality and if I could get some feedback to improve my gig. I genuinely wanted to know.

And then, I glanced at his buyer profile and saw that he was a new seller with a 3.5 rating.

He seems to have done a handful of jobs in the last year and been poorly rated. I’m drawing vindictive conclusions here, but since he hasn’t responded to my message and I’m staring at a 4.9 average that was 5 stars before, I’m not feeling charitable.

Yes, boohoo, I know. XP

I have a question at the end of this rant though. Should I cancel his next order if he places one? Right now my order completion is at 98% with only two orders cancelled in 6 months of working here. I don’t want to lower it again (knowing how heavily weighted the cancels are) but I don’t want to be poorly rated either.

What do you guys think? Am I being a baby about getting 4 stars? You can say it, if you think so. I need some perspective on this.

Thanks everyone!

Fiverr has released a new “block” feature where you can block any of your previous buyers from placing orders with you in the future.

All you need to do is go to the buyer’s profile and click on the block button under the person’s profile pic.

Good luck! :snowflake:

P.S: If you think that your buyer (who is also a seller) was your competition and that these 2 purchases were an attempt at sabotaging your ratings, you could also report the buyer to Fiverr as it is a violation of Fiverr’s ToS. @handsonkeyboard

Oooh, I didn’t know this! Thank you so much for letting me know. :pray::pray::pray:

No, he’s not my competitor. He builds websites, whereas I’m in the voice over business.

I’m just meanly assuming that since he got rated badly, he goes around rating other people badly. =\

But it’s good to know that we can complain in cases of actual sabotage. Thanks!

Don’t cancel the order, it would do much more bad than 4 star rating. It will badly affect your score.

Did they update the Block feature to actually block a buyer from placing an order? It used to be that Blocking a buyer only blocked them from messaging you but still allowed them to place an order. Has this changed?

Yes! They did. It’s such a wonderful update (at least for all the sellers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ). Here’s the official post on the update:

Hi! I checked it out (even though I decided against placing a block on this buyer), and this is the option box that pops up if you click on block on a buyer’s profile page:

01%20PM

(I whited out the name of the client.)

I’m really grateful this exists. Now, I don’t feel quite so concerned about negative reviews piling up from a buyer who seems insensitive to Fiverr’s high rating demands on sellers.

Thanks again @hanshuber16

I think this the purpose for adding block feature, thanks fiverr :clap: