Makin different gigs

Guest zainmia

Guest zainmia

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Is it ok to make different GIGs I mean If I made One gig of web development and second voice artist or any other different from this field?

Guest zainmia

Don’t call people ma’am or sir. It’s unprofessional and most people don’t like it.

I just wanted to complete 20 words that’s why I add it.

Guest zainmia

It doesn’t become okay or professional to call people things they don’t like just because you need extra characters.

Why not fill those characters with something people don’t hate.

ok don’t make this an issue I didn’t know that you don’t like someone who want to give you some respect

ok don’t make this an issue I didn’t know that you don’t like someone who want to give you some respect

I didn’t know that you don’t like someone who want to give you some request

You know very well that is not what I was taking issue with.

I literally just said to not call me ma’am and you justified it.

Bye

You shouldn’t talk like that to anyone, whoever they are, she was just making a point and expressing her opinion and trying to help you, wether she was right or not, I don’t know, but good that you justified it. Good luck to you @zainmia

Don’t call people ma’am or sir. It’s unprofessional and most people don’t like it.

The issue of whether or not to address someone as “Sir” or “Ma’am” could be based on their background or culture. To say that it is ‘unprofessional’ is somewhat disturbing. I was in the military, and if you did not address someone with either of those terms, it was considered disrespectful. For you to tell this young man, @zainmia zainmia that calling people “Sir” or “Ma’am” is unprofessional is not true. What you should have written was, ‘I would suggest not calling people ma’am or sir, as most people may not like it. To keep mutual respect, you can just say their name or ask what they wish to be addressed as.’ See, how easy and inoffensive that was?

Hey @zainmia. Please don’t feel bad about being polite: 🙂. In my culture too when we say Mam or Sir it’s a sign of respect. Don’t take that negative reaction :point_up: personally TRUST ME it had nothing to do with you. Nothing at all. Please still visit the Forum and interact 🙂. To be on the safe side if you mention someone just use @whatevertheirdisplaynameis. All the best.

Guest zainmia

Hey @zainmia. Please don’t feel bad about being polite: 🙂. In my culture too when we say Mam or Sir it’s a sign of respect. Don’t take that negative reaction :point_up: personally TRUST ME it had nothing to do with you. Nothing at all. Please still visit the Forum and interact 🙂. To be on the safe side if you mention someone just use @whatevertheirdisplaynameis. All the best.

Thank you so much @content_ed

The issue of whether or not to address someone as “Sir” or “Ma’am” could be based on their background or culture. To say that it is ‘unprofessional’ is somewhat disturbing. I was in the military, and if you did not address someone with either of those terms, it was considered disrespectful. For you to tell this young man, @zainmia zainmia that calling people “Sir” or “Ma’am” is unprofessional is not true. What you should have written was, ‘I would suggest not calling people ma’am or sir, as most people may not like it. To keep mutual respect, you can just say their name or ask what they wish to be addressed as.’ See, how easy and inoffensive that was?

The issue of whether or not to address someone as “Sir” or “Ma’am” could be based on their background or culture.

Yes, and the preference for wanting not to be called “sir” or “ma’am” is also based on culture. In many countries, to be addressed as such could be considered archaic and rude. I suggest you look up Hofstede’s cultural dimensions theory, especially the part about power distance.

You can compare different countries here on the different cultural dimensions:

cropped-logo-icon-32x32.png.feec13f64917ed96038702da9b49cba7.png Hofstede Insights procudt-images258757.jpg.bc4b252546cfc184c946a4e8680125e9.jpg

Compare countries - Hofstede Insights

Please select a country in the dropdown menu below to see the values for the 6 dimensions. After a first country has been selected, a second and even a third country can be chosen to be able to see a comparison of their scores.Go further, discover...

When you are working on an international marketplace, you should not be presumptuous and ethnocentric.

The issue of whether or not to address someone as “Sir” or “Ma’am” could be based on their background or culture.

Yes, and the preference for wanting not to be called “sir” or “ma’am” is also based on culture. In many countries, to be addressed as such could be considered archaic and rude. I suggest you look up Hofstede’s cultural dimensions theory, especially the part about power distance.

You can compare different countries here on the different cultural dimensions:

58f62c20ac6e3c3ccf7146cd8f8f11510468789f.pngHofstede Insights 68dc72c79b8d0292f6b929d720b32f469de46414.jpeg

Compare countries - Hofstede Insights

Please select a country in the dropdown menu below to see the values for the 6 dimensions. After a first country has been selected, a second and even a third country can be chosen to be able to see a comparison of their scores.Go further, discover...

When you are working on an international marketplace, you should not be presumptuous and ethnocentric.

Young man, (is that offensive?) I know all about Hofstede’s Cultural Dimensions, but thanks. What I did not like was how she said it. Tone makes a big difference, as you can detect by the tone is this message. Got it?

Young man, (is that offensive?) I know all about Hofstede’s Cultural Dimensions, but thanks. What I did not like was how she said it. Tone makes a big difference, as you can detect by the tone is this message. Got it?

@vibronx and @humanissocial are very experienced. I do think they know better, maybe yes, I agree that her tone was a bit too harsh, but her intentions were positive towards @zainmia. This is MY OPINION, there’s no need to argue back.

@vibronx and @humanissocial are very experienced. I do think they know better, maybe yes, I agree that her tone was a bit too harsh, but her intentions were positive towards @zainmia. This is MY OPINION, there’s no need to argue back.

Your observation was very correct that my tone was harsh. However, it was always informative and honest; oh and sarcastic. I appreciate your opinion in this discussion. No argument here…Thank you.

say Mam or Sir it’s a sign of respect

Not in business it isn’t. Anywhere. Except in cases of servitude or a superior/inferior relationship. But we are peers. You aren’t my servant or my inferior. We are peers. So it’s not appropriate.

In any case your culture doesn’t make it professional or wise to call people things they don’t like. And we shouldn’t have to tolerate being called things we don’t like.

The point of showing respect is to respect what the person may want, not what you think they should want.

If you talk to a western buyer as if you are their servant, many will lose respect for.you and some may.even decide.to.treat you like they’re their servant because you give the impression that you think you are when you talk like that.

Sorry for telling you something that you already knew. I see you studied marketing, so it seems we took similar degrees. 🙂

And, thank you for calling me young. That is very kind of you, but, unfortunately, I am getting closer to 30, so I don’t know how much longer I can be considered young.

I definitely agree that tone is important. but as @krrish_io also said, I think the intention was positive, and, personally, I didn’t think the tone was harsh.

Sorry for telling you something that you already knew. I see you studied marketing, so it seems we took similar degrees. 🙂

And, thank you for calling me young. That is very kind of you, but, unfortunately, I am getting closer to 30, so I don’t know how much longer I can be considered young.

I definitely agree that tone is important. but as @krrish_io also said, I think the intention was positive, and, personally, I didn’t think the tone was harsh.

No problem. And honestly, I’m sure we’ve all been called worse things than “sir” or “ma’am” in our lives. I am almost 40, by the way. I tend to call men who don’t appear to be as old as I am, as “young man.” Then again, I do not look my age.

No problem. And honestly, I’m sure we’ve all been called worse things than “sir” or “ma’am” in our lives. I am almost 40, by the way. I tend to call men who don’t appear to be as old as I am, as “young man.” Then again, I do not look my age.

It’s not about what is worse.

It’s about if you want to be seen as a professional, you need to act like one. And part of that is that you don’t call people things they don’t like. That’s disrespectful in general and not okay just because other names are worse.

And if you talk to a buyer like you’re their servant, a lot of buyers will treat you like one.

I’m curt because sellers need to understand how off putting it is to be called something you don’t like and to be addressed like they’re your servant.

If you put someone off, they’re less likely to take you seriously. And that can mean exploitation or a lower chance of a sale with that person.

Sellers remark every day in the forum that people don’t take them seriously.

Being called Ma’am or Sir is unprofessional? So all those buyers I’ve been addressing like so have been thinking, “What an unprofessional bloke!” ? Wow!

Being called Ma’am or Sir is unprofessional? So all those buyers I’ve been addressing like so have been thinking, “What an unprofessional bloke!” ? Wow!

Yes it is.

You aren’t their servant and they aren’t your superior in the 1950s.

You’re a freelancer doing business.

And in the forum we are peers, you’re not my servant. If you talk to me like you’re my inferior, it’s not a good look.

Yes it is.

You aren’t their servant and they aren’t your superior in the 1950s.

You’re a freelancer doing business.

And in the forum we are peers, you’re not my servant. If you talk to me like you’re my inferior, it’s not a good look.

I don’t know where you’re from but you do know that the literal definition of the term “Ma’am” is “a term of respectful or polite address used for a woman.”

I get that you may not like it but telling him that “people don’t like it” is extremely misleading. There are also people who don’t like being addressed by their first name by people who aren’t close to them. Where I come from, the words “Sir” and “Ma’am” are terms of respect regardless of who you’re addressing. I’ve even seen investors addressing people seeking funding as “Sir”. So don’t mislead people by saying “most people don’t like it”. Speak for yourself please.

Archived