Fiverr Community Forum

Maybe we've already been scammed , gosh that was harsh

Here’s a brief story , a month ago or so we are contacted by a buyer , says that really likes our portfolio , gives us some samples and ask us to replicate some pictures , asks them to be in a certain way and so on , as a normal buyer would do , we politly answer as soon as possible as always and find a deal , was a 218 USD shooting session with three models and a MUA , we make the offer but the buyer never buys altough he already clearly said that was ok with price and to start the shoot and giving us a deadline in a week or so .We finish the editing and stuff , everything is ready for delivery in 4 days , we make the custom offer again , this time the buyer asks for samples , we send them three pictures out of the 32 requested , he then disappears and comes back after a week saying that images are not as requested . Help , don’t know what to do now , we had to pay for the models and everything.

1 Like

You’ve learned a very hard lesson I’m afraid. Please never do the work without a proper order being in place.

So sorry this happened to you.

11 Likes

Never, never, NEVER start an order for free. If a buyer is not willing to purchase your service, and process an order, then he/she should never get your work. Never, ever. Your work has value. Don’t do any work until the buyer places an order.

11 Likes

It is sad that there are buyers that look for new sellers like you and use them in this way. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

You don’t owe them a thing until they actually purchase an order.

2 Likes

Thanks for the support guys , it has been a tough month , but we learned something , the hard way , has this ever happened to any of you ? How do you suggest to handle the situation from here ?

1 Like

Up to a point I’ve been involved in something similar, but I didn’t spend money on it in advance or anything. There have been times when I was introducing a new gig or new service that I chose to offer a buyer some of the work up front as a test of my own gig. I just assumed there was a chance the buyer would not pay for it and I was prepared to use the work for my own purposes or for samples if it didn’t go well. I can understand why people do it, but not with any feeling that there will be a guaranteed order.

As far as where to go from here, my best suggestion would be to use the work in some way for yourself and do not proceed no matter what this potential buyer tells you. The buyer has demonstrated a problem with ordering in advance and a tendency to pick an argument about the delivered work. If you continue you might waste more time and money only to have the buyer insist on a cancellation.

Move on and find paying buyers, even if you have to charge them in parts while you work on a larger project. You can always give them a custom quote for a certain amount of work at $X and see how things go. If things go well you are paid for that portion and you move to the next.

5 Likes

Hello, I’m sorry this happened to you! It’s always important to have them place the order before you do anything. Yes it was a scam.

3 Likes

Sorry about your experience, had a lot of people like these who would ghost out all of a sudden, like it’s hard to say ,I’m sorry, I won’t buy it" or ,It’s too much but thank you for your offer", instead they decide to vanish and leave the conversation hanging.

Every experience is a lesson. If they don’t order, don’t do anything in advance.

3 Likes