Meeting up with buyer for directional VO gig?

kathryns_voice

Hello Fiverr community!

I’d really like some feedback on the scenario below as I’m new to the Fiverr platform and I don’t want to run into any issues.

I’ve got a potential VO gig but the buyer wants to meet up through a video meeting to direct the voiceover. I don’t mind working in the way, I’ve done this with other clients but not clients that I work with through Fiverr. I’ve read the TOS and this scenario seems like a potential violation. If I accept this gig and give out my video meeting info is this considered a violation of TOS? I’m really enjoying the experience here so far and I don’t want to get in trouble.

Thoughts? Has anyone else worked like this with buyers on Fiverr?
Thanks!
Kathryn

Before you think about asking CS if you can do this, set a reasonable price for this service and ask your client if they are happy with it.

By reasonable, I mean make your price reflective of the current U.S. minimum wage (at least) and base it on working for 3-hours on the project in total.

You are new and typically, new sellers always get scammer buyers trying to get them to communicate off-platform. Here are just a few things that can go wrong:

• Your buyer comes across as a genuinely nice person and in a Skipe chat, gets you to hand over some personal contact details. Then it turns out they are a stalker pervert.
  • Your buyer could be a Youtuber or criminal who uses the guise of a coaching session to get you to say something inappropriate. (A VO artist from Fiverr did get busted by the FEDs once after this happened.)
  • Your buyer tuns out to be a pervert or sociopath from the get-go and exposes themselves on camera while recording your reaction, and you become an adult online meme for all the wrong reasons,

All this might sound very pessimistic. However, you can filter out most buyers like this by charging extra for a coaching session.

A reasonable person with genuine intentions will be fine with that. If, though, they come back with some whiny excuse about how their goldfish ate their wallet or they just spent their last paycheck on medication for their sick alpaca, there’s a 75% chance they’re a weirdo with no soul.

Before you think about asking CS if you can do this, set a reasonable price for this service and ask your client if they are happy with it.

By reasonable, I mean make your price reflective of the current U.S. minimum wage (at least) and base it on working for 3-hours on the project in total.

You are new and typically, new sellers always get scammer buyers trying to get them to communicate off-platform. Here are just a few things that can go wrong:

• Your buyer comes across as a genuinely nice person and in a Skipe chat, gets you to hand over some personal contact details. Then it turns out they are a stalker pervert.
  • Your buyer could be a Youtuber or criminal who uses the guise of a coaching session to get you to say something inappropriate. (A VO artist from Fiverr did get busted by the FEDs once after this happened.)
  • Your buyer tuns out to be a pervert or sociopath from the get-go and exposes themselves on camera while recording your reaction, and you become an adult online meme for all the wrong reasons,

All this might sound very pessimistic. However, you can filter out most buyers like this by charging extra for a coaching session.

A reasonable person with genuine intentions will be fine with that. If, though, they come back with some whiny excuse about how their goldfish ate their wallet or they just spent their last paycheck on medication for their sick alpaca, there’s a 75% chance they’re a weirdo with no soul.

Thanks for taking the time to write me some great additional points! Yes, you are so right about the scammers! I’ve had some crazy requests and as soon as I’ve said “no, I don’t communicate outside of Fiverr” They’ve been automatically blocked so I know the system flags these types of things.

I did reach out to CS but since it will be a 24 + hours, I gave these buyers some alternatives that I know are appropriate within Fiverr’s TOS. If they are truly interested, I hope they accept an alternative that makes everyone happy.

You didn’t sound pessimistic at all but realistic… there are a lot of weirdos out there.

Archived