Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

alliemadison12

Hey everyone! What are your thoughts on saying “Merry Christmas” vs. "Happy Holidays?"

I’ve been saying happy holidays to my buyers, but after someone replied “Merry Christmas,” it got me thinking. I only say “happy holidays” because it encompasses the whole season, including New Year’s. However, I know some people don’t like that and prefer “Merry Christmas.” Especially working with people from all over the world, I don’t know if many of my customers even celebrate Christmas.

What do you all think? If you don’t celebrate Christmas, does it offend you when someone says “Merry Christmas?” I’m just curious which is more appropriate to say.

-Allie

I haven’t said it to anyone yet, but will start this week. Like Ang, I’ve had people say Happy Thanksgiving, even though I don’t celebrate it, so I hope others take “Merry Christmas” the same way that I have–a term to generally mean well when trying to deal with people from all over the world.

Well, some of my buyers told me “Happy Thanksgiving” even if I’m italian and we don’t celebrate it; I had someone writing me “Happy Hanukkah” even if we don’t celebrate it… and honestly I was not offended from their wish/greeting.

I mean, they are telling me that to be polite, to celebrate their “holiday” and I respect this; more, I feel to be part of their lives and I’m happy that it’s not only a matter of sales and dollars! 🙂

So, to answer you question: if you believe in Christmas as when Christ was born or simply like an holiday you can use to stay with your family and your friends, I think there’s nothing bad in greeting Merry Chirstmas.

I’m not a fan of “religious” Christmas, but I won’t be offended from such a greeting!

I think you are being polite and only someone who is very immature would take this the wrong way. Just say “have a happy holiday” if you find that people could be insulted by talking about Xmas. Also wait until you are very close to Xmas to say it, bcause if you do it before that, your customer might think that you are not going to be working for the rest of the holiday season.

It happened to me once already. I said have a great holiday and the reply was “I was about to order again, you won’t be working the rest of themonth?”.

Reply to @madmoo: Agreed! I said “Happy Thanksgiving” too lol but we don’t celebrate or know anything about it in the UK… It’s the same with Halloween, this is really recent in the UK!

As Fiverr is worldwide, I prefer to use “Happy Holidays” but on Christmas Day to my family and friends, I’ll say “Happy Christmas”. We aren’t religious, just traditional 🙂

I’m sure no one would take offence if you said “Happy Christmas” though, it’s similar to when people say “God Bless you”, “Happy Hanukkah” etc. which I’ve also had on Fiverr lol 🙂

Archived