Fiverr Forum

More and More buyers are learning how to get gigs for free

Fiverr needs to start holding buyers more responsible for their actions. Sellers have a rating system and buyers should too.

More and more buyers are learning, all they need to do is get the gig, give a bad rating, rant and get their money back. There’s no rating for these buyers and many want the world for 5 bucks. When they don’t get it, they make a stink and Fiverr gives them their money back.

Their needs to be a ‘buyer reputation’ system put in on Fiverr. The reason Fiverr doesn’t do this is because it will affect their bottom line.

Agreed. Bad users also use the “request modification” option after receiving the goods making it look like we’re not delivering.

I agree. What good is a rating system if it is being used as a weapon to rip off sellers.

For example, a buyer buys a $5 gig. Seller delivers. Buyer uses the modification button and wants $100 worth of changes.

So what are the seller’s options?

1. Cancel the order. This is hard to swallow if you already put 2 or 3 hours into it. Your time is wasted and you get no money for it.

2. Do as the buyer wants. I think many sellers opt to do what the buyer wants. When done, they gave the buyer $100 gig for $5 and got a positive rating but after a while sellers can burn out. I know. I feel it every time I see a modification request.

3. Don’t do as the buyer wants and get a negative review.

In all the above scenarios the seller loses out and the rating system is not reflecting true results. Even if the seller does #2 above and gets a positive review, he only did it because of the threat of getting a negative review if he did not do what the buyer wanted.

The fact that Fiverr will make the decision (on their own) to just refund the buyer’s $5 without getting with the seller is ridiculous. We have a good history with Fiverr. We’ve been with Fiverr for over 3 years. All our gigs are at 100% (except one which is 99%).

We provided a PR service to a buyer. This particular buyer complained that he sold no books from this service and demanded a refund. We told him that the service was already provided and we have no control of the quality of his book. He complained to Fiverr, they gave him his money back.

Service provided. The buyer got the PR service AND his money back. Fiverr didn’t even get with us regarding buyer’s complaint. They didn’t even review all the positive reviews from this service. They just sent us an email stating they gave buyer back his money.

A new system needs to be put in place. We offer a great deal for buyers but we’re not here to be taken advantage of.

At this point I am merely a buyer.

I agree with what folks are saying here though. Feedback and ratings should be a two way street and rating buyers would give sellers information to pick and choose their customers. Problematic buyer, not interested in doing business, no thank you.

Face it, this goes to building marketplace confidence and that’s something Fiverr should be very concerned with increasing. Not that things are lagging, but are enough issues and policing matters on a daily basis for me to probably create a column about.

Oh gosh I had/have a nightmare buyer on my hands right now, and this would be so useful. He had me re-do the work 3 times and I agreed to a 4th, until he started pestering me and threatening with bad rating so I told him what he was doing was unacceptable and to have some fucking patience.

I am sick and tired of buyers trying to abuse the system, and thus abuse me in turn. I’ve had wonderful customers so far, but then there is the odd coal in the gem pile that just turns it all sour…

mcromano,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, it’s nothing new. The bottom line is, Fiverr is not going to have a rating / ranking system for buyers because it’s going to affect revenues. So stories like yours is going to continue. Buyers are going to demand the world (for 5 bucks) and if they don’t get it; they WILL get their money back.

Reply to @mcromano: if the buyer is threatening you with a bad rating you should report him or her to customer service. It’s feedback extortion, plain and simple. If Fiverr let’s buyers get away with this, then buyers can demand just about anything while hanging the threat of negative feedback over our heads.

I’m fairly new to Fiverr. I recently had a situation with a buyer. He made a request for me to copy a website. I told him it was not possible to be exact due to the limitations of the template and platform I was using. He insisted I try, even haggled me on price due the fact I was merely copying another site. I reluctantly accepted the order and spent 12 hours building a brand new site for him. His response was that what I created was not identical to the website he wanted. I felt I had no choice but to cancel the order - in fear of bad reviews (being new). I am suspicious this buyer has been abusing the Fiverr system and making sellers work for free using this tactic. When I logged onto his web account, I noticed there was three other similar websites built by other designers.

Is there any protection at all for sellers? Since there are no rating system for buyers.

steveeyes said: 1. Cancel the order. This is hard to swallow if you already put 2 or 3 hours into it. Your time is wasted and you get no money for it.

In many cases sellers also have to invest their own money to work on a gig (materials, fuel costs etc). So in order to break even on a day you get a cancellation you might have to stay at work waiting for another order, then work a few hours extra that day.
It will also cost some time and money to keep your crawlers or whatever system you have in place to scan the web to make sure your cancelled work is not being used.

Biggest loss i have taken so far was 45 hours of work and 60$ in fuel costs on a single cancelled gig.
As for a buyer reputation system, for this to make any difference there would need to be some incentive for a buyer to keep using the same account. As it is most of the career scammers are just creating new accounts.

What I post in all of my gigs, is to PLEASE IN-BOX me FIRST BEFORE buying, so I know EXACTLY what they want and then IF i AGREE, then they can go and buy the gig, its saves me a LOT of cancelations or modifications

I originally posted this 3 years ago and I got ripped off by Fiverr again.

I’ve been a 5-star seller on Fiverr since 2011. I have almost 400 positive reviews and have been a great member with a great seller reputation. Even with that, Fiverr doesn’t care. If a buyer decides they want a refund (for whatever reason), Fiverr will give it to them. Even AFTER I put in the time, effort and delivered the service; the buyer gets to keep it and get a refund; no questions asked.

This totally screws over loyal sellers like me. I’ve had this happen to me three times in the six years I’ve been a seller. This last time was the last straw. The sellers are the backbone of this web portal and they’re treated like crap. Buyers have the priority because they bring in the cash flow. Fiverr’s own discussion forums are full of the same complaints as this one.

If you are a seller or are considering to be one, be aware that you will do work and not get paid for it and there’s nothing you can do. All that needs to happen is a buyer decides they want something and not pay for it. Fiverr definitely needs a new system to prevent this from happening.

April 2018 - HERE’S ANOTHER UPDATE:

Is it a coincidence that after my comments and post (from Jul '17); my Fiverr gigs have gone down by 90%? Is it a coincidence that two of my most popular gigs (with 100% ratings) have been removed by Fiverr, with a response “we can’t say why we did it”. Is it coincidental that my account has been dropped to a level one?

I should have kept my big mouth shut :wink:

Why do I get penalized?

Yes, it probably is a coincidence.
If your 2 main gigs were removed then I presume that’s why your sales declined. What type of gigs were they?

I’ve never had fiverr give any of my clients a refund. I’ve been here five years. I’m sorry things have been difficult for you. Maybe you could try making more gigs. You can probably do well if you create more gigs.

I believe one of them was one of those “I will advertise your business to 350,000 people” gigs that have been on the decline lately.

But I agree, I am 100% sure that it was a coincidence. I highly doubt the higher ups at Fiverr are smiting randy’s on the forum because they disagreed with them. Otherwise we’d all be booted

Yes that was the gig. That gig was running since 2014 with hundreds of buyers and 100% reviews. We created the ad, posted it and allowed clients to continue posting for 5 bucks. All of a sudden (after June 2017 ranting pot post) Fiverr stopped it.

I doubt they would wait for months if that was the case.

Wait, so this happened almost a year ago and it took you until now to complain about it?

That rant was in July 2017 and this is April 2018 so I’m a little confused.