Music & Commercial Use? Please help

jaredp219

Hi, I’m a musician selling music on Fiverr.

What I don’t understand is if I choose not to grant commercial usage in my gigs, what does that allow the buyer to do with the music? I want to retain my copyright so I still own and can sell/use the music elsewhere but I also want my music to be used the videos and films of buyers.

If I don’t give commercial rights can they still use my music in their films or not?? What usage have I agreed?

Please help!
Thank you

• Like 5

What I don’t understand is if I choose not to grant commercial usage in my gigs, what does that allow the buyer to do with the music? I want to retain my copyright so I still own and can sell/use the music elsewhere but I also want my music to be used the videos and films of buyers.

If I don’t give commercial rights can they still use my music in their films or not?? What usage have I agreed?

Please help!

Thank you

if I choose not to grant commercial usage in my gigs, what does that allow the buyer to do with the music?

Not much! Maybe use it but they have to credit you?

I want to retain my copyright so I still own and can sell/use the music elsewhere but I also want my music to be used the videos and films of buyers.

This is a bit tricky. How would you even keep track of this and how would you be able to track them down to see if they violate your copyrights?

If Idon’t give commercial rights can they still use my music in their films or not?? What usage have I agreed?

You would have to write up your own agreement and the client would have to sign it but you would have to run it by customer support to make sure you would have permission since the exchange of personal information isn’t permitted.

Is it just a usage/licence I’m selling in this case? How to I know they won’t sell it on?

You won’t know. To be honest, I am not sure if Fiverr is the right place if you are that concerned about the usage, commercial license etc.

• Like 4

if I choose not to grant commercial usage in my gigs, what does that allow the buyer to do with the music?

Not much! Maybe use it but they have to credit you?

I want to retain my copyright so I still own and can sell/use the music elsewhere but I also want my music to be used the videos and films of buyers.

This is a bit tricky. How would you even keep track of this and how would you be able to track them down to see if they violate your copyrights?

If Idon’t give commercial rights can they still use my music in their films or not?? What usage have I agreed?

You would have to write up your own agreement and the client would have to sign it but you would have to run it by customer support to make sure you would have permission since the exchange of personal information isn’t permitted.

Is it just a usage/licence I’m selling in this case? How to I know they won’t sell it on?

You won’t know. To be honest, I am not sure if Fiverr is the right place if you are that concerned about the usage, commercial license etc.

Yeah tricky! I just want to be able to use and sell the music on myself after the order is completed since I put so much work into it. I guess it comes down to written agreements which probably isn’t going to help much on Fiverr

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello. I’m looking at selling background music for video games, apps, podcasts, etc. I’ve noticed a lot of sellers offering a “standard”, “premium” or “exclusive” license. I know the difference between the three but i’m wondering where I can acquire a license? If a buyer asks me for a premium license, how would I provide them with that? If the buyer wants copyright, how can I provide them with that? Also, how do you give them a “standard” license?
Maybe these are silly questions but there really is no information online for this that I could find. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

• Like 9

• 4 years later...
On 4/9/2018 at 9:57 PM, jaredp219 said:

Please help!
Thank you

Has tha same question.

I just read the Fiverr FAQ post about commercial license and that's what they say:

By purchasing a "Commercial Use License" on Fiverr, the seller grants you a perpetual, exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide license to use the purchased delivery for Permitted Commercial Purposes. Unless clearly stated otherwise on the seller's Gig page/description, all intellectual property rights of the purchased delivery are hereby assigned to you.

"Permitted Commercial Purposes" means any business related use, such as advertising, promotion, creating web pages, integration into product, software or other business related tools etc., and strictly excludes any illegal, immoral or defamatory purpose.

It turns out that if you want to retain the rights as an author and, for example, distribute your music, you should make it clear in the description. And according to the description, this license completely transfers the ownership rights to the original music, that is, it takes away the rights to it from you. But here there is another question: are these rights specifically for this file and the essence of its content or for the entire melody and idea? The topic is very delicate and needs a wider consideration. On popular platforms such as AudioJungle or Shutterstock the cost of the license depends on what it is for.

There is a another concept of "sync" licensing. A music synchronization license, or "sync" for short, is a music license granted by the holder of the copyright of a particular composition, allowing the licensee to synchronize ("sync") music with some kind of visual media output (film, television shows, advertisements, video games, accompanying website music, movie trailers, etc.). It makes more sense and this is the type of license that should be used to write music for this type of content. And some of the distributors through whom you release your music provide such services and offers to potential customers, companies, etc.

This is a big problem for me. I approach writing music very delicately and always write it with meaning and give it a special meaning. And therefore, the complete alienation of author rights according to the current simple license on Fiverr should be expensive, as a minimum of $50.

• Like 4