Music composer in need of sales help

ian_alexander

It can take some sellers months to get their first order.

You only have 4 minutes of read-time shown in your forum profile. Check out the Tips For Sellers category (forum.fiverr.com/c/Fiverr-Tips/tips-for-sellers/l/top/all?order=views <-- with filters applied). You’ll find hundreds of threads offering advice on a variety of things to consider and/or improve. (Note: Not all advice can apply to all gigs or categories. Be sure you check multiple sources as there are some false tips, even among the top threads.)

It takes a lot of work to make it as a freelancer, so be sure to research and plan accordingly.

“If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.” (Attributed to Benjamin Franklin)

Specific to your gig, please see the (PRF) section:

Introduction– This is not a list on how to make gigs. This is for gigs that are already made that are under-performing, need an overhaul, or just need somewhere to start for self-evaluation/education. It does contain a few general-information bits, and can help during gig creation, but that is neither the focus nor the intent. For more information on any of the following sections or points, please see ‘Other Resources’ under (RRD) at the end of this post. Sections: (TCT) Title, Category, and…

There are also a bunch of useful links in the (RRD) section.

I think you can also do better with your tags.
From: [music composition][music][film composer][film][animation]
To: [music][composition][film music][game music]

It is hard. It is even harder in places like this as sadly most buyers don’t want to take the time to understand how our “fuzzy” service works. Many assume that Composing is purely to-order like from a blackboard at a McBurger joint.

I say this as a Composer (and Mix Engineer) and it has gotten worse the more every kid has a DAW on their phone as everyone thinks they are a Master. Also sadly most buyers don’t want to spend any money or time, won’t give credits, and expect clones of whatever is popular last month. These are all losing strategies for Indie work but they persist as it is the times.

BTW I couldn’t find you as a Seller under your name here so I can’t suggest anything specific.

🙂

It is hard. It is even harder in places like this as sadly most buyers don’t want to take the time to understand how our “fuzzy” service works. Many assume that Composing is purely to-order like from a blackboard at a McBurger joint.

I say this as a Composer (and Mix Engineer) and it has gotten worse the more every kid has a DAW on their phone as everyone thinks they are a Master. Also sadly most buyers don’t want to spend any money or time, won’t give credits, and expect clones of whatever is popular last month. These are all losing strategies for Indie work but they persist as it is the times.

BTW I couldn’t find you as a Seller under your name here so I can’t suggest anything specific.

🙂

Hey thanks for the response. Here’s a link to my page so you can see for more specific advice. https://www.fiverr.com/share/1Eyo09

Hey thanks for the response. Here’s a link to my page so you can see for more specific advice. https://www.fiverr.com/share/1Eyo09

Thanks

Your work sounds good. The scored scene fits well. Your range is nice (better than mine). Pricing is very fair.

Sadly tho as I scroll down, Fiverr then offer me people who claim to be as good as you for only $5 (1/20th of your offer) which is just impossible to deal with when people don’t understand what they are looking for. I am NOT saying to lower your pricing as you & I know the $5 offer is not the equal of yours (or mine).

What I would say is seeing you are in school, really work on making real-world connections with film students etc and get some genuine work in your Portfolio, esp if you can get some festival wins. It always feels nicer than stock footage - I say that from having to use too much of the latter seeing I can’t even get kids to let me score or mix for them for free!!!

I also think, be careful with stock images as being a Mix Engineer, I bet that is not your large-form mixing desk in a fancy studio. I see far too many people advertising studios they don’t own - will never own. It sets a false tone to me - that everything you do is illusion. While I know that those faux games are “of the times” - paying $5 for a Ferrari (that tuns out to be a faded sticker) so perhaps step past the cliche and prove that you are a more genuine choice for the few times a real buyer sees your advert.

Best of luck

🙂

Archived