So I get an order, I go “Sweeeeet” and wait for the buyer to update the order box and give me the
necessary information so I can go on with the gig. 2 days later, no reply.
OK, so maybe he ordered by mistake? So I send him a message, asking him to send me the information. I also pointed out if he has ordered by mistake, he can cancel it anytime. Another 2 days later, he finally replies saying he DID order by mistake, and he wants to cancel. OK, slightly disappointed, but it happens. So I request a mutual cancellation.
This morning I wake up to find out that he has declined my mutual cancellation. What the heck???
This has never happened to me before, so I’m not sure what the best/safest thing to do is.
For now, I sent him another message asking him why he declined the request, I added that if he has
changed his mind, he would need to give me the information so I can work on his image (I draw characters BTW).
I also said that I will wait until tomorrow morning again, and if I don’t hear from him, I will request another
Well, I hope I did the right thing.
I am guessing that if the buyer still doesn’t respond or decline again, that is when I should contact
the CS? Or should I just go ahead and send them a message now and let them know about the situation?
What would be the next step to take?