:man_facepalming: My [bad] first impression of the Skills Test feature

woofy31

I’ve just received the Tests feature myself today, and long story short: I wasn’t expecting the tests to be this bad! 😬

First I tried the SEO test. I had a bit of a hard time getting past the first questions because they were so outdated and asking questions about defunct platforms that it made my brain freeze. So I thought to myself, “OK, maybe it’s also a history test as well” and so I kept going.

But the deeper I got into the test, the harder it was becoming because of the poor grammar, spelling errors, redundancies, etc. Instead of trying to answer the questions as I was supposed to, I was actually trying to understand what the person who wrote them tried to say! That is simply unacceptable for a skill test! 😶

OK, so I then thought to myself “Maybe the English test will be easier in that regard”. I started the test and was immediately struck by a question with 4 possible answers out of which 2 were completely identical, and I had only one choice available! :man_facepalming:

So which answer should I have chosen given that 2 of them were identical? (yes, I spent a whole minute just looking at them like in a “find the differences” game, and they were identical in every single way)

I said “whatever, the author must have done it on purpose and any one would work just fine”, so I kept going. And even though the test was written in very good English, there were still minor spelling & grammar errors, which I ignored even though it should’ve been in perfect English given the subject matter itself!

Halfway through the test the horror unleashes itself after a power outage occurs in my area and drags my Internet connection down with it. The test window notifies me that the test will be paused because of connectivity issues, and then the test window immediately closes itself 😱

After I got my Internet connection back, I’m not given a chance to resume as it should, and instead it’s automatically considered a “FAILED” test, and now I have one less attempt at the test without being my fault to begin with! :man_facepalming:

Screenshot-18_Sep_2018-17_37_34.jpg.ec08dc81a7688169d00af64de2568ae5.jpg

#badlywrittentests #poweroutage #nointernet #testfail

I’ve opened up a CS Ticket, but I doubt they’ll give me my attempt back, because hey, it must have been my fault for that power outage just like it is our fault for all those buyers’ mistakes that lead to cancellations.

giphy.gif.b8403318b9cb9395fd66aa9c29dade39.gif

So yeah, for me this whole Test experience was an utter disappointment!

P.S. there are so many great writers, proofreaders, editors on Fiverr, how is it possible that the tests are so badly written? 🙊

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came across some identical answers myself: what I suggest you to do, when you encounter issues during Tests, is to report them using the appropriate feature (which should be called something along the lines of “Having problems with this question?”.

I came across some identical answers myself: what I suggest you to do, when you encounter issues during Tests, is to report them using the appropriate feature (which should be called something along the lines of “Having problems with this question?”.

“Having problems with this question?”.

I had no such thing whatsoever :roll_eyes:

Instead, at the END of the test I get presented with a form where I can put down any complaints or suggestions I have.

“Having problems with this question?”.

I had no such thing whatsoever :roll_eyes:

Instead, at the END of the test I get presented with a form where I can put down any complaints or suggestions I have.

Welp, my bad, that’s what I meant. The feature I wrote about must have been on another website with similar Tests, my apologies.

But yeah, Fiverr offers a final feedback of the Tests, I guess that’s the only way to report any kind of issue!

Huh? What is this test? 😂 I have never heard Fiverr mention anything about it!

Do you gain TRS if you pass the test or what? And if (Or when if the questions are so retarded) you fail? 😱

Here you go:

Hi Everyone, I’m excited to announce a new feature for sellers. As part of our ongoing efforts to increase overall marketplace quality, we will begin offering the opportunity to take skills tests to verify seller skills. Skills tests will not be mandatory, but are an opportunity to increase buyer trust by proving your skills in the subcategories in which you offer services. We’ve been rolling out the skills tests in the Translation subcategory over the past few weeks, but starting today, a sma…

But no, you don’t gain TRS. These are just tests that allow you to prove your skills to potential buyers, and Fiverr claims to give you better chances at getting buyers/sales.

However, if they’re badly written, the tests probably become a lottery game :roll_eyes:

I’ve just received the Tests feature myself today, and long story short: I wasn’t expecting the tests to be this bad! 😬

First I tried the SEO test. I had a bit of a hard time getting past the first questions because they were so outdated and asking questions about defunct platforms that it made my brain freeze. So I thought to myself, “OK, maybe it’s also a history test as well” and so I kept going.

But the deeper I got into the test, the harder it was becoming because of the poor grammar, spelling errors, redundancies, etc. Instead of trying to answer the questions as I was supposed to, I was actually trying to understand what the person who wrote them tried to say! That is simply unacceptable for a skill test! 😶

OK, so I then thought to myself “Maybe the English test will be easier in that regard”. I started the test and was immediately struck by a question with 4 possible answers out of which 2 were completely identical, and I had only one choice available! :man_facepalming:

So which answer should I have chosen given that 2 of them were identical? (yes, I spent a whole minute just looking at them like in a “find the differences” game, and they were identical in every single way)

I said “whatever, the author must have done it on purpose and any one would work just fine”, so I kept going. And even though the test was written in very good English, there were still minor spelling & grammar errors, which I ignored even though it should’ve been in perfect English given the subject matter itself!

Halfway through the test the horror unleashes itself after a power outage occurs in my area and drags my Internet connection down with it. The test window notifies me that the test will be paused because of connectivity issues, and then the test window immediately closes itself 😱

After I got my Internet connection back, I’m not given a chance to resume as it should, and instead it’s automatically considered a “FAILED” test, and now I have one less attempt at the test without being my fault to begin with! :man_facepalming:

#badlywrittentests #poweroutage #nointernet #testfail

I’ve opened up a CS Ticket, but I doubt they’ll give me my attempt back, because hey, it must have been my fault for that power outage just like it is our fault for all those buyers’ mistakes that lead to cancellations.

ccc743d994876e190b54e889d7be685e017799a4.gif

So yeah, for me this whole Test experience was an utter disappointment!

P.S. there are so many great writers, proofreaders, editors on Fiverr, how is it possible that the tests are so badly written? 🙊

These tests aren’t developed by Fiverr but by Expert Rating. Faulty with gaps, flaws and who knows what else. There are even complete incorrect answers without giving you the option to choose “none of the answers are correct”.

Have you taken a look at the thread you posted? Come join us, we have been discussing about this 😊

These tests aren’t developed by Fiverr but by Expert Rating. Faulty with gaps, flaws and who knows what else. There are even complete incorrect answers without giving you the option to choose “none of the answers are correct”.

Have you taken a look at the thread you posted? Come join us, we have been discussing about this 😊

These tests aren’t developed by Fiverr but by Expert Rating. Faulty with gaps, flaws and who knows what else.

That makes it even worse 😬

Have you taken a look at the thread you posted?

Yes, I looked at the thread I posted since it was written by me and I had to correct some things 😃

Come join us, we have been discussing about this 😊

Join where? 👀 I haven’t been on the forum quite often lately, and I might be missing something here…

These tests aren’t developed by Fiverr but by Expert Rating. Faulty with gaps, flaws and who knows what else.

Have you taken a look at the thread you posted?

Yes, I looked at the thread I posted since it was written by me and I had to correct some things 😃

Come join us, we have been discussing about this 😊

Join where? 👀 I haven’t been on the forum quite often lately, and I might be missing something here…

Yes, absolutely right !!!

hahahaha No, not this one, the one you posted on your comment :rofl:

Here Take a Test, Earn Trust!

Yes, absolutely right !!!

hahahaha No, not this one, the one you posted on your comment :rofl:

Here Take a Test, Earn Trust!

Oh, yes, I’ve spent a bit of time there reading some comments, but I wanted to create a new thread with my honest impressions about the tests and how bad some are, in the hope that Fiverr will do something about these tests (or change their tests service provider with one that is more correct, accurate and up-to-date)

And as expected, CS can’t do anything about the uncontrolled interrupted test failure problem 😐

The idea of a multiple choice test for SEO practitioners is so laughable that I cannot believe it is there.
There are so many areas, so many different trains of thought, along with the fact that the whole effective practice can change in an instant, that any test that is offered by a company like that is bound to be outdated and “tunnel-visioned” or else be so basic that it has no actual value, ie. the info is so general that it is more common sense than based on things practitioners should know.

Personally I have no interest in working with buyers who place significant value on some undefined and unexplained test score so I haven’t and won’t be taking the tests.

Huh? What is this test? 😂 I have never heard Fiverr mention anything about it!

Do you gain TRS if you pass the test or what? And if (Or when if the questions are so retarded) you fail? 😱

Hi Everyone, I’m excited to announce a new feature for sellers. As part of our ongoing efforts to increase overall marketplace quality, we will begin offering the opportunity to take skills tests to verify seller skills. Skills tests will not be mandatory, but are an opportunity to increase buyer trust by proving your skills in the subcategories in which you offer services. We’ve been rolling out the skills tests in the Translation subcategory over the past few weeks, but starting today, a sma…

Oh, yes, I’ve spent a bit of time there reading some comments, but I wanted to create a new thread with my honest impressions about the tests and how bad some are, in the hope that Fiverr will do something about these tests (or change their tests service provider with one that is more correct, accurate and up-to-date)

And as expected, CS can’t do anything about the uncontrolled interrupted test failure problem 😐

It would be nice and I think that also useful is you copy/paste what you wrote on your first post (comment), as the other thread was opened by Fiverr’s staff. Let them know all the issues !!! 😃

The idea of a multiple choice test for SEO practitioners is so laughable that I cannot believe it is there.

There are so many areas, so many different trains of thought, along with the fact that the whole effective practice can change in an instant, that any test that is offered by a company like that is bound to be outdated and “tunnel-visioned” or else be so basic that it has no actual value, ie. the info is so general that it is more common sense than based on things practitioners should know.

Personally I have no interest in working with buyers who place significant value on some undefined and unexplained test score so I haven’t and won’t be taking the tests.

along with the fact that the whole effective practice can change in an instant, that any test that is offered by a company like that is bound to be outdated and “tunnel-visioned” or else be so basic that it has no actual value

Exactly! Just giving you an example here: the SEO test kept stressing me about Yahoo Directory like it was still a modern thing, even though it’s been dead for the last 4 years or so.

Maybe it’s a History test as well, though it didn’t feel like one 😃

along with the fact that the whole effective practice can change in an instant, that any test that is offered by a company like that is bound to be outdated and “tunnel-visioned” or else be so basic that it has no actual value

Exactly! Just giving you an example here: the SEO test kept stressing me about Yahoo Directory like it was still a modern thing, even though it’s been dead for the last 4 years or so.

Maybe it’s a History test as well, though it didn’t feel like one 😃

Yahoo Directory

That is beyond laughable (See highlight in image below). Just be glad you got interrupted as you would have wasted more time on it.

image.thumb.png.5a389b8630d978f282752fd5186becce.png

The seo test probably has 25% of questions that have zero relevance now and were not even relevant ten years ago. If you have ever taken tests from Microsoft or Cisco you will recognise this format, where the right answer is not always the correct one but the one they want to be correct. The wordpress test is harder but the questions are relevant and if you know your stuff you will get a decent score.

The seo test probably has 25% of questions that have zero relevance now and were not even relevant ten years ago. If you have ever taken tests from Microsoft or Cisco you will recognise this format, where the right answer is not always the correct one but the one they want to be correct. The wordpress test is harder but the questions are relevant and if you know your stuff you will get a decent score.

So that means 2 x (internet) interruption = wait 3 months to take the test again.

Or, for people who make the giant mistake of looking at the test to see what it’s about and how long it will take, only 1 x (internet) interruption is needed, as looking at the test and required/allowed time apparently already counts as 1 try, even if you didn’t start the test because you didn’t have 40 or 60 hopefully uninterrupted minutes right then.

where the right answer is not always the correct one but the one they want to be correct.

😃 I haven’t taken any Microsoft or Cisco tests but I recognize that format anyway lol.

Well, CS asked me to take another shot at tomorrow’s new last allowed attempt, even though it wasn’t my fault that the test got interrupted.

I guess I’ll have to call the electricity company and ask them to stop any and all activities planned within the following hour so that I can take the test without going through Another power outage, otherwise I’m screwed for the next 3 months 😏

Oh, wait, and I’m not the only one either ⬇️

Well, CS asked me to take another shot at tomorrow’s new last allowed attempt, even though it wasn’t my fault that the test got interrupted.

I guess I’ll have to call the electricity company and ask them to stop any and all activities planned within the following hour so that I can take the test without going through Another power outage, otherwise I’m screwed for the next 3 months 😏

Oh, wait, and I’m not the only one either ⬇️

I have similar problems with elastic trickery failures. Maybe consider investing in a cheap Windows tablet and mobile wifi router. I can get 10-hours of work time with my emergency set up. It’s been a life saver this year.

I have similar problems with elastic trickery failures. Maybe consider investing in a cheap Windows tablet and mobile wifi router. I can get 10-hours of work time with my emergency set up. It’s been a life saver this year.

It’s been a life saver this year.

Not worth it for the quality of these tests 👀

It’s been a life saver this year.

Not worth it for the quality of these tests 👀

You could also try a good UPS if you haven’t got a UPS already and if that would help in situations like that and in general (not just for the tests). Though it won’t solve all connection issues.

Archived