My best advice for Fiverr sellers

taojonz

I’ve used Fiverr for many different services: logo, ebook formatting, graphic arts, professional testimonials, website development. For the most part, I’ve had a good experience.

There are some things that consistently are irritating to me, however.

1. Not being clear about what your service is, and how much it will cost. I find over and over and over, some list a service for $20 or $50 then all of a sudden, I get an order for $200. It’s why I always try to get clarity on scope and pricing. Most likely, if you do not state exactly what I’m getting and for what price, I will walk away from you. It’s bad business.

2. Professional testimonials: two times I’ve used Doctors to review clinical studies and provide opinions I could use. Both times, the Doctors were not doctors or were not affiliated with the medical institution it clearly stated in their profile. Understand if you do this, not only are you a crook, but you bring legal liability to those of us that use your information. This is beyond non-professional. Fiverr buyers beware. Check out professional credentials THOROUGHLY before you hire a licensed professional for anything.

those are the biggies. Bad business practices make those of us who would employ you want to not come here. And a few bad apples amongst you ruins it for the rest of you who are solid.

Hi!

Great advice. I especially like your second piece of advice.

As a freelancer for only a year and a half–and a new member on Fiverr–I find these important. There are definitely folks out there who aren’t who they say they are or simply aren’t thorough in clarifying what they are selling or seeking to purchase from another.

Thanks for sharing!

I’ve used Fiverr for many different services: logo, ebook formatting, graphic arts, professional testimonials, website development. For the most part, I’ve had a good experience.

There are some things that consistently are irritating to me, however.

1. Not being clear about what your service is, and how much it will cost. I find over and over and over, some list a service for $20 or $50 then all of a sudden, I get an order for $200. It’s why I always try to get clarity on scope and pricing. Most likely, if you do not state exactly what I’m getting and for what price, I will walk away from you. It’s bad business.

2. Professional testimonials: two times I’ve used Doctors to review clinical studies and provide opinions I could use. Both times, the Doctors were not doctors or were not affiliated with the medical institution it clearly stated in their profile. Understand if you do this, not only are you a crook, but you bring legal liability to those of us that use your information. This is beyond non-professional. Fiverr buyers beware. Check out professional credentials THOROUGHLY before you hire a licensed professional for anything.

those are the biggies. Bad business practices make those of us who would employ you want to not come here. And a few bad apples amongst you ruins it for the rest of you who are solid.

I find over and over and over, some list a service for $20 or $50 then all of a sudden, I get an order for $200. It’s why I always try to get clarity on scope and pricing.

Sending a detailed proposal is beneficial for both sides. I’ve had multiple buyers who order my service and then all of a sudden they start requesting new features in mid development.

For the past 6 months I’ve sent a detailed proposal with a list of agreements to all my buyers. Proposal covers the project requirements, goals (KPIs), scope, cost and most importantly agreements regarding revisions, last minute changes and expectations.

It probably won’t make sense to invest a lot of time when you’re selling simple $5 gigs, but if you’re offering for example web development then I’d agree with @taojonz about sending detailed proposals before orders are placed.

I find over and over and over, some list a service for $20 or $50 then all of a sudden, I get an order for $200. It’s why I always try to get clarity on scope and pricing.

Sending a detailed proposal is beneficial for both sides. I’ve had multiple buyers who order my service and then all of a sudden they start requesting new features in mid development.

For the past 6 months I’ve sent a detailed proposal with a list of agreements to all my buyers. Proposal covers the project requirements, goals (KPIs), scope, cost and most importantly agreements regarding revisions, last minute changes and expectations.

It probably won’t make sense to invest a lot of time when you’re selling simple $5 gigs, but if you’re offering for example web development then I’d agree with @taojonz about sending detailed proposals before orders are placed.

a simple communication beforehand between the two parties actually will clarify a lot of issues

a simple communication beforehand between the two parties actually will clarify a lot of issues

Sometimes it does and sometimes, it doesn’t. I ALWAYS contact a seller before, lay out what I need in detail, get an agreement on scope of work. It has NOT prevented this serious upcharge from happening in all cases.

A good seller will say: I can do that for $______ Then I have a choice. A bad seller takes the gig, then tries to upsell it later. This may be due to inexperience. Not all who do this are just dishonest, but it is just as bad to represent you know how to do something, charge for the service then not be able to deliver because you underestimated what it would involve.

I have found this to be true outside of Fiverr as well. And we who buy a LOT of these services become cynical and skeptical of everyone, which is a shame.

Honesty matters in every business. The client need to know that they can rely upon you… ☺️

Thanks for the awesome post… @taojonz

Honesty matters in every business. The client need to know that they can rely upon you… ☺️

Thanks for the awesome post… @taojonz

That’s what it means to provide good customer service!

I’m a seller in fiverr from one year. I’ve had good experiences and bad experiences with buyers but fortunately a few times. I always try to communicate in the best possible way to avoid misunderstandins.

I’m a seller in fiverr from one year. I’ve had good experiences and bad experiences with buyers but fortunately a few times. I always try to communicate in the best possible way to avoid misunderstandins.

You just have to do the best you can and not get frustrated. Bad experiences will always come and teach you how to handle them in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest offlinehelpers

Hi guys, can someone check my gigs. I am still new though I got 2jobs, one wasn’t reviewed. Just want to know if the Everything thing is as required. I need more clients.

Your gig images are very nice, but don’t really relate to the services you’re offering - maybe they could be more relevant.

Also, proofreading and editing 40,000 words for $5 - that would take me all day!

Your gig images are very nice, but don’t really relate to the services you’re offering - maybe they could be more relevant.

Also, proofreading and editing 40,000 words for $5 - that would take me all day!

Thank you! I will edit that

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes it does and sometimes, it doesn’t. I ALWAYS contact a seller before, lay out what I need in detail, get an agreement on scope of work. It has NOT prevented this serious upcharge from happening in all cases.

A good seller will say: I can do that for $______ Then I have a choice. A bad seller takes the gig, then tries to upsell it later. This may be due to inexperience. Not all who do this are just dishonest, but it is just as bad to represent you know how to do something, charge for the service then not be able to deliver because you underestimated what it would involve.

I have found this to be true outside of Fiverr as well. And we who buy a LOT of these services become cynical and skeptical of everyone, which is a shame.

We all do have our good and bad experiences once in a while. These make us more experienced in dealing with future things, and should be taken exactly for the same purpose.

And we who buy a LOT of these services become cynical and skeptical of everyone, which is a shame.

Rather than that, I suggest one may be more careful and elaborate in discussing the requirement beforehand. Even then if its happening, then maybe one is seeking the wrong talent.

Archived