My beta reading gig was denied

flavourbooks

Hi guys,

My beta reading gig has been denied. Here is the email I received from Fivver:

“By taking part in doing someone else’s academic work (which will likely be submitted as the student’s own work) you are actively taking part in a violation of the integrity code of most, if not all, schools and academic institutions. This behavior can lead to the suspension or expulsion of students. Fiverr does not allow taking part in such fraudulent activities.”

This is a complete misunderstanding. I do not provide work for students or others, but only critique work that has already been written. There are hundreds of other gigs that are exactly like mine. Nowhere in my gig did I mention writing someone else’s work or assignment for them.

Do you guys think this was a mistake?

Hi guys,

My beta reading gig has been denied. Here is the email I received from Fivver:

“By taking part in doing someone else’s academic work (which will likely be submitted as the student’s own work) you are actively taking part in a violation of the integrity code of most, if not all, schools and academic institutions. This behavior can lead to the suspension or expulsion of students. Fiverr does not allow taking part in such fraudulent activities.”

This is a complete misunderstanding. I do not provide work for students or others, but only critique work that has already been written. There are hundreds of other gigs that are exactly like mine. Nowhere in my gig did I mention writing someone else’s work or assignment for them.

Unfortunately, no, I don’t think this is a mistake. Fiverr is removing all gigs that can be connected – apparently, in any way – to the homework or essays of others. Fiverr wants to remove all possibility of people doing school/university work for students.

I’m sorry to hear that this affects your gig as well, but Fiverr must see something in what you are doing that goes up against their policy. You could always contact Customer Support for greater clarification, however, given the policy as a whole, I think that gig has probably run its course.

Perhaps there is another related service that you can offer that has no connection to the homework or homework/writing critiques of others?

Unfortunately, no, I don’t think this is a mistake. Fiverr is removing all gigs that can be connected – apparently, in any way – to the homework or essays of others. Fiverr wants to remove all possibility of people doing school/university work for students.

I’m sorry to hear that this affects your gig as well, but Fiverr must see something in what you are doing that goes up against their policy. You could always contact Customer Support for greater clarification, however, given the policy as a whole, I think that gig has probably run its course.

Perhaps there is another related service that you can offer that has no connection to the homework or homework/writing critiques of others?

Thanks for the responce. Very sad.

I guess my ghost writing service will be hit next.

Yes, it does seem so. But Fiverr does have rules, and we must all abide by them.

I don’t see the same issue affecting your ghost-writing gig. However, I do think $995 is a bit expensive when it comes to a new gig. Perhaps you might consider offering services that are more appealing to the Fiverr market, and can get you a few quick reviews.

Alas, I don’t see a $995 gig gaining much traction for a new seller, such as yourself.

You want reviews – reviews build your seller reputation. Start with $5 gigs, and work your way up. 😉

Yes, it does seem so. But Fiverr does have rules, and we must all abide by them.

I don’t see the same issue affecting your ghost-writing gig. However, I do think $995 is a bit expensive when it comes to a new gig. Perhaps you might consider offering services that are more appealing to the Fiverr market, and can get you a few quick reviews.

Alas, I don’t see a $995 gig gaining much traction for a new seller, such as yourself.

You want reviews – reviews build your seller reputation. Start with $5 gigs, and work your way up. 😉

I’m an excellent writer, who has published books traditionally. Anything of quality under 1000 is cheap. But I was actually thinking of that today. Newbie with no reviews isn’t working in my favour to begin with.

As a fellow writer on here (although much less professional), I would say that you should try offering smaller samples of writing overall to start yourself off. Your novel gig is 20,000 words, which is a lot for someone who’s ordering from a new seller. I’d offer a short story gig at, for example, 1,000 words so that people feel safer making a small investment in you.

I’m an excellent writer, who has published books traditionally. Anything of quality under 1000 is cheap. But I was actually thinking of that today. Newbie with no reviews isn’t working in my favour to begin with.

We all started with cheap gigs. That’s how a gig usually gains traction. I’ve been a successful seller here on Fiverr for nearly four years – I know a thing or two. If you want to gain traction with a gig, you have to start out small. Reviews are important. You can earn more customers – and, by default, the possibility of more reviews at lower price points.

Then, once you earn a strong reputation as a seller, you can raise your prices to reach a pricier market. Buyers are not likely to pay $1000 to a seller who has no visible seller reputation. That’s just how things work here on Fiverr. Start small, and raise your prices as you gain reviews (and a visible reputation).

Archived