Fiverr Community Forum

My beta reading gig was removed by fiverr

Hi. So, I received an email today saying “Your Gig has been flagged by our team following a third party complaint claiming your Gig is violating their terms of use.” My gig was about beta reading and I really don’t know what to do about it now and how to go about it. I have contacted Fiverr CS and waiting for their response.

Can someone please guide me what can I do now? Can it be restored somehow? Or would I have to start from a scratch now? Also, what happens with my running order and my earnings? Also, how long does it take for a new gig to appear in fiverr search?

1 Like

What is “beta reading”?

2 Likes

I’ve only seen this term used in regards of fanfictions, and it means someone who checks your story and points out any grammar mistakes and stuff like that. I guess you could call it proofreading.

2 Likes

A beta reader is usually a test reader of an unreleased work of literature or other writing (similar to beta testing in software), who gives feedback from the point of view of an average reader to the author.

3 Likes

Why was my Gig denied?

If your Gig has recently been denied, you will receive an email update explaining why. Unfortunately, once your Gig has been denied, it will not be restored. If you are still having issues understanding why, we advise that you review our Terms of Service for more information.

The above is from the Help Centre.

1 Like

Actually, many authors use beta readers. Some of them are self-published, while others use them to improve their book before sending it to their agent or editor.

Beta readers can do that, but they also help with pretty much everything else (plot inconsistencies, unclear parts, are the characters believable, is the setting believable/accurate…).

Proofreading comes at the very end. Beta readers often come at the beginning, once the author finishes the book the best they can, and then runs out of ideas how to improve it.

Here’s a bit more:

3 Likes

@sumayya7, I see that you already have a new gig up. Keep in mind that you could get banned if the same gig gets denied twice.

The word “review” in your gig description and packages could be causing the issue. It could look like you’re offering paid reviews, and paid reviews of any kind are strictly forbidden.

2 Likes

Isn’t that basically the work of the editor?

Editor comes later, and is a lot more thorough (or should be). Beta readers aren’t professionals in the publishing industry, they’re readers.

4 Likes

Hi. Thanks. So what do you suggest I title my gig because I see the word ‘review’ mentioned in a lot of gigs, and authors do ask for honest reviews for their own use.

Also, I do not see my new gig in search results, has it got something to do with my previous gig denied? Should I contact CS about it? Or do I wait till the next evaluation?

Perhaps “I will beta read and critique your book”?

I’d avoid the word review, reviewer, and similar, in the packages and gig description, too.

I don’t know.

1 Like