Almost a year ago I wrote a post about how bad the responses I got to a Buyer Request I posted were. I decided not to use it again as it was simply a waste of time.
However, as I was unable to find someone specifically offering what I was looking for, I decided to give it another go a couple of days ago.
Here is what happened.
I posted the request which was regarding advertising (don’t send me messages offering your service, you will be reported for spam) and it had a relatively large budget of approx $500 which could have been given to one seller or divided between a number of sellers.
Within 24 hours I had over 20 responses and here is where it gets interesting for sellers.
12 of those responses were from 1 or possibly 2 people using either 6 or 12 different accounts. Yeah, that’s right, and they didn’t even do it well - images were all similar Google images, the profiles were almost identical and the offers were exactly the same. 6 had one message, another 6 had a slightly different message. None offered anything specific and none gave me any reason to think they were in the slightest way competent. Interestingly, some of them had different prices.
So, I was down to about 10 responses.
The rest had generic messages from people who “can definitely give you the service you require”. None of them in any way explained what they were going to do for the money and none of them had read my request properly. If you, as a seller, think any buyer is going to place an order of $5(0)(0) without any definition of what it is then you are simply in the wrong business. Learn how to flip burgers and stick to that because freelancing is not for you.
So, in summary:
If any seller had responded with a half way decent offer, response or even had asked for more information, they may have ended up with a $500 order from a reputable and easy to work with buyer (me).
It’s possible that decent sellers didn’t respond because they saw the number of responses but remember this - for buyers, the responses are laid out well by Fiverr and easy to assess quickly. If I had received 50 or even 100 responses, it would have taken me 15-20 minutes to delete the rubbish and keep the decent ones. I vaguely remember it not being so simple, I don’t think it was possible to delete them in the past but now it is a lot neater and easy to work with.
I do understand that it is possible that there simply isn’t anyone offering the service I needed and that is why I didn’t get any good responses but I would find that difficult to believe - it wasn’t an unusual or weird request.