My Experiences Thus Far

I have so far contacted around 7 sellers and here is my tally.

2 Responded and said they would help and then never responded again

3 Never responded at all

1 Finished the gig yet failed to answer the post-gig questions, which renders the gig useless.

1 Couldn’t help, but it wasn’t his fault. So far, my best experience here because he was a nice guy.

And this isn’t spread out over a length of time, it’s one after another after another.

Is this the work ethic of the average seller? Am I doing something wrong that I find each and every wrong person for the job? Most of these people are 100% rated sellers.

singing22002 said: Is this the work ethic of the average seller? Am I doing something wrong that I find each and every wrong person for the job?

A little of everything.

singing22002 said: 2 Responded and said they would help and then never responded again

They are waiting for you to order (pay for) the gig. This place is dirt cheap and the only real way sellers can make money is to work quickly. They don't want to waste time 'courting' a potential buyer, especially if they have already answered some questions. Not only does time=money, it is not unheard of for competition to intentionally jerk over other sellers with fake buyer accounts.

singing22002 said: 3 Never responded at all

That happens in every 'freelance' work environment. Sellers are focused on making the biggest money they can in the shortest amount of time. If they are already busy with a buyer, that's where their attention will be. In this particular environment, many sellers sign-on with fantasies of becoming rich while working in their underwear - that doesn't happen, so they set up an account, don't earn fat stacks in 24 hours and they wander off to play with Facebook, never to return.

singing22002 said: 1 Finished the gig yet failed to answer the post-gig questions, which renders the gig useless.

If they have fulfilled their obligation by providing what was in their gig description and whatever amendments were agreed upon during your communications, they are not obliged to answer any follow-up after the gig is marked as "complete". If they did NOT furnish everything as agreed upon, you can leave negative feedback and/or contact Customer Service about having your payment returned to your Fiverr balance.

This place is designed to offer quick, cheap products and services. If you need something complicated or 'important' done, your best bet is to research and hire an actual experienced professional for a decent wage.

But at least you met a nice guy. :)

What she said.

kiffinyjean said: What she said.

;)

Maybe the task overwhelms the 5$ or is too time consuming to take on.

You made me curious. What was the task if I may ask ?

@itsyourthing

She said it all :slight_smile:

I have to comment here since I don’t necessarily agree with the above statements. I came here looking for the same answers!

If the sellers want to (1) build a base, (2) acquire positive feedback, (3) be recommended, and thus (4) increase their income, it would behoove them to respond - not to everything, mind you, but at least to initial requests.

For the gigs that state “contact seller first,” then the seller SHOULD respond. Can they do it? Do they want the gig? Or should the buyer try to find someone else? Will it be more than $5?

itsyourthing said: That happens in every 'freelance' work environment. Sellers are focused on making the biggest money they can in the shortest amount of time. If they are already busy with a buyer, that's where their attention will be.

For singing22002, if 3 out of 7 never responded, that is not at all indicative of the freelance world. I've been a part of it for 40 years.

I have had a few extremely poor transactions - or non-transactions - that make Fiverr more of a hassle than a blessing.

And I know for a fact that I'm not alone.

singing22002 said: I have so far contacted around 7 sellers and here is my tally.

I consider the original post and questions to be invalid without the one key piece of information: What were you asking to be done? Were you asking sellers specifically about the gig they were offering? Or were you inquiring about things above and beyond the gig, or not related, etc? I don’t know about other sellers, but if a potential buyer asks me a legitimate question about my gigs, I answer as quickly as possible. If I get a question totally out of the realm of what I’m offering – or even a hunk of spam pitching something weird – responding at all depends on what I’m going at the moment. If I’m up to my eyeballs in legitimate gig work at the moment, I’m probably not going to respond to an off the wall or non-applicable question when there’s actual work to be done.

I suspect by leaving out the details in this forum you may be answering your own questions. What sort of gig required answers to “post gig questions” that without them makes it useless? Did the gigs offer “post gig answers”?

I think proper answers require more information.

slinkadoo said: For singing22002, if 3 out of 7 never responded, that is not at all indicative of the freelance world. I've been a part of it for 40 years.

With all due respect, it's possible that you are basing your evaluation of the "freelance world" on old information. Yes, even just a decade ago reliability and professionalism were the 'norm' in contract/work for hire environments, but that changed significantly with the internet.

As soon as 'the market' got flooded with people of grossly differing abilities and from areas with grossly different costs of living, the rules changed. The cream can't always rise to the top when constantly being stirred, so regardless of the quality of the worker, that competition puts huge pressure on people to compete. In a Fiverr-type environment that means almost frantic hustling and juggling to make a buck. Courting potential clients (who in places like this may not even be potential clients -they may just be competition sucking up your time) has to take a back seat to keeping current clients happy and focusing on those who are most likely to actually purchase.