My First Buyer turns out a Scammer or Unfair. (Bad Luck or My Mistake to choosing his order?)

I am a new seller and from last 15 days I was trying to get first buyer through improving my GIG and majorly applying on Buyer Requests.

Yesterday I saw a weird buyer request “I need a logo in 30 minutes” nothing else was mentioned.
I applied on it and the person hired me.
I made 2 concepts for logo and send in to him on 31st minute and asked him that if he wants any changes I will do it right away.
Moreover I asked him if he want to change concepts completely then it can also be done as these are made in 30 minutes.
I offered him all my help.
But the buyer replied that he doesn’t like the designs and opened dispute without giving any chance to revise my work.
Plus he said that Logos quality is not as per the logos displayed in my profile.
I told him that 30 minutes are not enough to create a high quality logo as it needs alot of detailing and if he could give me 3 to 4 hours more I would be able to deliver logos with high quality or can improve the existing concepts.
But he didn’t allowed me any more time which I feel is highly unfair.
He opened a dispute and I had to accept it.

How can anyone expect a high quality logo in 30 minutes?
I feel I made a mistake by applying on this weird Buyer Request which was based on unrealistic demand.

Learning from my mistakes.

I am a new seller and from last 15 days I was trying to get first buyer through improving my GIG and majorly applying on Buyer Requests.

Yesterday I saw a weird buyer request “I need a logo in 30 minutes” nothing else was mentioned.

I made 2 concepts for logo and send in to him on 31st minute and asked him that if he wants any changes I will do it right away.

Moreover I asked him if he want to change concepts completely then it can also be done as these are made in 30 minutes.

But the buyer replied that he doesn’t like the designs and opened dispute without giving any chance to revise my work.

Plus he said that Logos quality is not as per the logos displayed in my profile.

I told him that 30 minutes are not enough to create a high quality logo as it needs alot of detailing and if he could give me 3 to 4 hours more I would be able to deliver logos with high quality or can improve the existing concepts.

I feel I made a mistake by applying on this weird Buyer Request which was based on unrealistic demand.

Then why apply for this project in the first place?

Then why apply for this project in the first place?

I have mentioned, thats where I made mistake. But on the other hand buyer should deal fairly and give appropriate time when the person on the other side is willing to give full support.

It’s entirely your mistake, play stupid games win stupid prices. Don’t get yourself into a situation which you know you can’t come out of successfully in future. Logo designs take minimum few hours to complete and one should have atleast 24 hours in hand for delivery.

It won’t be too crazy to expect that from someone with “pro” in their name who offers logos starting from $10.

It won’t be too crazy to expect that from someone with “pro” in their name who offers logos starting from $10.

Logos were not bad thats a done thing but of course in 30 minutes you can just demonstrate an idea and for its detailing you need more time. That is why I asked him to give me just 1 more hour and I will refine it. The buyer was not ready to listen.

Before applying to the bid I was not expecting that this buyer is expecting something out of this world in 30 minutes.

It’s entirely your mistake, play stupid games win stupid prices. Don’t get yourself into a situation which you know you can’t come out of successfully in future. Logo designs take minimum few hours to complete and one should have atleast 24 hours in hand for delivery.

I am a new seller on this platform and while applying to buyer requests we have a very short time of span so sometimes these mistakes happens. But I will be careful next time.

The purpose of sharing it here so that other new sellers could learn from my exporience.

Logos were not bad thats a done thing but of course in 30 minutes you can just demonstrate an idea and for its detailing you need more time. That is why I asked him to give me just 1 more hour and I will refine it. The buyer was not ready to listen.

Before applying to the bid I was not expecting that this buyer is expecting something out of this world in 30 minutes.

Don’t expect all your buyers to be reasonable people by default. It’s a big mistake new sellers make. Ask questions, explain your process, protect yourself and your business.

Exactly same happened with me before some days…
I wrote a resume and designed it for a buyer. After the delivery, he suddenly sent me a dispue without informing me. After saw that, I said to him in dispute caption that “please do a revision request and I will solve your issue for sure” But the thing was he didn’t told me what I have to do in his resume and even I also asked him but no reply. After that I separately sent him a message in inbox that whatever the problem is, you can do a revision request. Again no reply after being online.
Next day, I had received notification of “Fiverr customer support has cancelled the order”. I was shocked what this happened.
He was that person who knows how to take complete work from a seller and take the money as well by doing a fake complaint to CS.

I wrote a resume and designed it for a buyer. After the delivery, he suddenly sent me a dispue without informing me. After saw that, I said to him in dispute caption that “please do a revision request and I will solve your issue for sure” But the thing was he didn’t told me what I have to do in his resume and even I also asked him but no reply. After that I separately sent him a message in inbox that whatever the problem is, you can do a revision request. Again no reply after being online.
Next day, I had received notification of “Fiverr customer support has cancelled the order”. I was shocked what this happened.
He was that person who knows how to take complete work from a seller and take the money as well by doing a fake complaint to CS…

He was that person who knows how to take complete work from a seller and take the money as well by doing a fake complaint to CS…

You will find people like him. Dont be disappointed and keep working hard.

You will find people like him. Dont be disappointed and keep working hard.

Bro, I was very near for getting a level 1 badge, But because of such like these buyers, my order completion rate became low from 95% to 73%. Now firstly I have to increase this upto 90% the, after this, I will be able to level 1, But because of the maintenance of site, no more orders, gigs ranking getting low day by day…

Just depressed completely.

There were huge red flags that you missed.

No one asking for a logo in 30 minutes is going to be a reasonable buyer. He either needs it and thinks it’s ok to ask for it. Or he he’s making up that deadline because he knows sellers will charge peanuts to get the job.

And the buyer clearly has no concept of design if he thinks he can get something conceptualized and designed in so short a time. Not a competent buyer.

Well, I would say that’s your mistake at first place. You should not apply to those crappy jobs who wants logo in 5$ and that too in 30 mins… You know why fiverr has given time of delivery in days and not in hours… that’s the reason… atleast a day should be there…When you create any gig, you mention 1 day at the very least… but if they want this done in 1 or 2 hours or half an hour then you should charge them accordingly.
Client can’t be like deliver in 10 mins with 5$ budget… that’s completly unfair untill your gig is just about delivering a fixed file which you sent to everyone… you’re creating a logo which obviously would take more time to deliver but I think as its your first time, you’ll learn moving forward …you should be careful about it and don’t be desperate to get the order, it will come definitely as you’re already trying through buyer request but dont degrade yourself to that level. I hope it make sense?

There were huge red flags that you missed.

No one asking for a logo in 30 minutes is going to be a reasonable buyer. He either needs it and thinks it’s ok to ask for it. Or he he’s making up that deadline because he knows sellers will charge peanuts to get the job.

And the buyer clearly has no concept of design if he thinks he can get something conceptualized and designed in so short a time. Not a competent buyer.

Unfortunately he was labeled as a top buyer. But I agree on this with you and I mentioned same thing in my description when I accepted his cancellation request.

Unfortunately he was labeled as a top buyer. But I agree on this with you and I mentioned same thing in my description when I accepted his cancellation request.

It’s easy to be a top buyer. You just have to buy a lot of cheap gigs from desperate sellers.

Never assume “Top buyer” means a respectful, competent buyer. It is no reason to think the buyer is credible.

Well, I would say that’s your mistake at first place. You should not apply to those crappy jobs who wants logo in 5$ and that too in 30 mins… You know why fiverr has given time of delivery in days and not in hours… that’s the reason… atleast a day should be there…When you create any gig, you mention 1 day at the very least… but if they want this done in 1 or 2 hours or half an hour then you should charge them accordingly.

Client can’t be like deliver in 10 mins with 5$ budget… that’s completly unfair untill your gig is just about delivering a fixed file which you sent to everyone… you’re creating a logo which obviously would take more time to deliver but I think as its your first time, you’ll learn moving forward …you should be careful about it and don’t be desperate to get the order, it will come definitely as you’re already trying through buyer request but dont degrade yourself to that level. I hope it make sense?

Yes completely make sense. I will be careful for the next.

Sadly their are some disrespectful and abusive buyers who target new sellers as they know they are desperate to secure their first job. These buyers also know how to ‘play the system’ as the seller is unlikely to know how to respond correctly.

Sorry you’ve had such a bad first experience, but once you get going on here you will find that there are some excellent genuine buyers.

I’ve little more to add other than to say better luck next time.

It is entirely your fault, your are a graphic designer, ok? You know very damn well (as mentioned above) that it is impossible to create a high quality logo in under 30 minutes, yet still went for a job which required you to do this in 30 minutes. So you knew you wouldn’t be able to do something of high quality, yet still went ahead and applied? To me this doesn’t add up, I believe that it is your fault.

Sadly their are some disrespectful and abusive buyers who target new sellers as they know they are desperate to secure their first job. These buyers also know how to ‘play the system’ as the seller is unlikely to know how to respond correctly.

Sorry you’ve had such a bad first experience, but once you get going on here you will find that there are some excellent genuine buyers.

Thank you for your motivational words. This Fiver Forum community is a great place because of people like you who understands and encourage new bees like us.

Good luck to you too.

Archived