My first sale! And don't people use this site to serious?

fuzzyleon

Yep, I just did my first sale, I translated a text from dutch to english as good as I could. I was actually surprised at first that someone would take me seriously (watch my profile, you’ll understand). But look at that, someone did!

Which brings me on the second thing: Don’t people take this site to serious? I mean the thing I was translating was really for a real company! Wouldn’t you want to have a more… I don’t know, trustworthy? I was actually afraid of messing it up when I saw how important it was. Now I got my 4 dollars, so no biggies. but still, if I made a company,or if I needed help for something really important, I don’t think this would be the first stop for me. You need to realise that people only get 4 dollars for their work here, that’s NOT much, still I will do my best of course, and I think my buyer was happy about my work.

What do you guys think? Do people take this site to serious or is this really supposed to be a “Job/hiring” kinda site

I hire people from here sometimes when i get cheap clients, also if you see all super sellers they have the fast delivery feature activated and you have the gig extras so once you get things going you can sell 1 gig for $60 or so to deliver some extra feature, If you are good enough this could be a full time job.

I also do translations, and I’ve asked myself the exact same question several times.

Some of my orders have been what I thought most of them would be: somebody who needs to translate a personal website or blog post, an instructions manual of some gadget…

But I’ve also translated for serious companies that I never would have imagined using Fiverr.

I’ve been a translator offline for several years, I have experience and I think I do it pretty well. But I’m always astonished to see companies trusting me and taking the risk of getting some terrible translation. Maybe they hire a proofreader later to double check, I don’t know.

Congrats for your first sale!!

In my opinion people should get what is promised. It has nothing to do with taking the site serious or not, it is about taking sellers at their word. Company or individual doesn’t matter either. If you offer a 24K bar of gold for 1 gig you owe the buyer a bar of gold. If you offer an empty aluminum can for 1 gig, the buyer should get that. It’s about integrity.

fuzzyleon said: Don't people take this site to serious? I mean the thing I was translating was really for a real company! Wouldn't you want to have a more... I don't know, trustworthy?

Today, the president of an insurance company gave me two orders for e-mails, one for $15, one for $5. He liked the work so much that he gave me three $25 tips. I assure you he takes Fiverr seriously. I'm sure he's hired people at other places, and maybe for more money and hasn't been happy with their work.

fuzzyleon said: I was actually afraid of messing it up when I saw how important it was.

Chances are that your work will be read by someone who speaks English, but doesn't have time to do translations. But suppose you mess up, so what? People outside of Fiverr mess up as well. I've read books that had spelling mistake, and I don't mean self-published authors, I mean books that have been read by editors and proofreaders, the kind of people that are trained to catch mistakes.

fuzzyleon said: You need to realise that people only get 4 dollars for their work here, that's NOT much, still I will do my best of course, and I think my buyer was happy about my work.

If he gave you 4-5 stars, he's happy. Tip? He's ecstatic. No stars? He's either not happy or too lazy to give a review. 3 stars? He's not too happy but wants you to keep your money. Less than 3 stars? He's unhappy.

Do your best without killing yourself, and you'll do fine.

In larger corporations, hiring a consultant or service sometimes takes weeks with approvals, Purchase Orders…etc. Fiverr provides people a way to quickly get the job done. Considering the price, a manger may just ok the cost because it’s going to be something like $20 or $25 (or less), so it may not need approval.

Just because the gimmick is a $5 sale doesn’t mean that people don’t do a good job. I know I’ve done work for companies where I could turn it around quicker and they didn’t have to sign a formal PO to get my help.

Archived