My gig just got cancelled

plappen

To quote from the email I just received:
We appreciate you taking the time to create/update your Gig review your small press or self published book and post it everywhere. Unfortunately we had to remove your Gig.
The reason is:
We do not allow writing and posting of paid-for reviews. It is misleading and illegal in certain jurisdictions.

I realize that the entire Internet is getting very particular about payment for reviews. I have been doing this since 2010, and now it’s illegal?!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a book review gig that would be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

We appreciate you taking the time to create/update your Gig review your small press or self published book and post it everywhere. Unfortunately we had to remove your Gig.

The reason is:

We do not allow writing and posting of paid-for reviews. It is misleading and illegal in certain jurisdictions.

I realize that the entire Internet is getting very particular about payment for reviews. I have been doing this since 2010, and now it’s illegal?!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a book review gig that would be acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

I am sorry you had this happen, however I for one am glad this is happening.

Maybe you could offer reviews for authors who send you a free copy of their book? 📚

I am sorry you had this happen, however I for one am glad this is happening.

Maybe you could offer reviews for authors who send you a free copy of their book? 📚

If you want an official suggestion (and for your gig to stay), you’ll have to ask Customer Support.

Generally speaking, paid reviews are not allowed. Period. Maybe you can offer something like “I will write my thoughts about your book on my personal blog”, though I’m not sure even that would be allowed.

Amazon sued 1,000+ people for paid reviews, and Fiverr doesn’t want to get into trouble with Amazon, so they’re staying on the safe side.

Is there another book-related service you could offer?

Wouldn’t those still be paid reviews, and therefore forbidden?

If you want an official suggestion (and for your gig to stay), you’ll have to ask Customer Support.

Generally speaking, paid reviews are not allowed. Period. Maybe you can offer something like “I will write my thoughts about your book on my personal blog”, though I’m not sure even that would be allowed.

Amazon sued 1,000+ people for paid reviews, and Fiverr doesn’t want to get into trouble with Amazon, so they’re staying on the safe side.

Is there another book-related service you could offer?

Wouldn’t those still be paid reviews, and therefore forbidden?

I am not sure? I have seen reviews on Amazon where the reviewer qualifies the review by saying they received a free copy of the book. They did not say if they were paid for the review or not?

I think the problem is reviews that are going to be shown under a product (eg. a book) that have been paid for could be seen as biased (and in some case will be).

What you could do is either:

1. Create a “review” that is really a product description (or “blurb”) - that could be shown in the product description part of a site to help sell the book.

or

1. Write a “review” of the book or story before it is published, solely for the writer’s benefit. Something that’s not going to be published anywhere. Just something to let the writer know of any potential issues with the story/content, so they can make any alterations or fixes they think are necessary before publication.

I am not sure? I have seen reviews on Amazon where the reviewer qualifies the review by saying they received a free copy of the book. They did not say if they were paid for the review or not?

I have seen reviews on Amazon where the reviewer qualifies the review by saying they received a free copy of the book. They did not say if they were paid for the review or not?

It’s usually in exchange for an honest review (no paying involved, so it wouldn’t work on Fiverr), and it looks like some people doing it are having difficulties.

The reason is:

Thanks in advance.

It was always a legal grey area. This might be an interesting read for you: https://tech.co/legal-lowdown-fake-paid-reviews-2015-04

Archived