Fiverr Community Forum

Mysteries of gig page audio volume!

Occasionally, I browse through the gigs of fellow voice actors to check on trends, pricing, FAQs, revision policies, etc.

I can’t help but notice when clicking on videos or demo reels that quite a few of them make me want to immediately turn my volume down as they blare deeply into my ear canal. I’m not sure as to whether it’s a case of me having my own headphone DAC running too hot, another case of Fiverr doing strange things to uploaded audio on one’s gig page, or if it is intentionally meant to be that loud.

If it is intentionally loud, then I guess it may be because a seller might be worried prospective buyers won’t be able to clearly hear the audio through their mobile device or tinny ear buds. Or, it may be a case of being loud is much harder to ignore than being moderate or quiet.

I personally try to get my audio between -22 to -18 RMS average amplitude, but usually prefering the quieter side.

Just was wondering if I was the only one who’s noticed this. :mag: :thinking:

5 Likes

Fiverr is not kind at all to audio or images. I was amazed how terrible their algo made my material sound. And normally I am the guy saying not to fuss over YouTube or Soundcloud compression. It sure doesn’t help anyone in visual art or particularly music. Voice shouldn’t be too bad.

Being TOO LOUD would simply indicate terrible Mixing or Audio-Post skills. Dynamic Range is vital in mixing or while the material sounds impressive for 5 secs, the message gets lost as the listener finds it wearing and shuts down.

This is inevitable when people expect more results for less pay and scared sellers start doing things they aren’t skilled in to avoid the costs of using someone who is skilled. It is sad but the world people seem to want.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just to note, a number of these extremely loud gig videos/demo reels are from sellers with lots of sales/experience on the platform. It’s not simply a case of rookie sellers learning as they go.

-I’m not here trying to criticize others, it’s just simply something I’ve noticed. :wink:

I understand.

Most people want things mixed with a 1db dynamic range. I get abuse from people with less experience than I have for mixed or re-mixed things to have a dynamic range so they are beautiful rather than on-dimensionally brutal. It is a fashion thing.

:slight_smile:

I have the same concern, it happens to me with my audios they are heard too loud even though I take into account everything regarding the volume when I make my recordings. :roll_eyes:

The audio levels presented on your mic preamp or audio interface (if you are using one or both) very likely are not the same levels that are presented on your DAW. If you are using a USB microphone, you likely don’t have a preamp or analog to digital interface, so adjusting the volume knob on the mic itself or from the computer volume controls are your options.

If your levels are coming in good and you have good mic positioning, then it may be an issue of how you are editing the recording.

Headroom in audio recordings is extremely important and versatile to have, unless you are intentionally going for a highly compressed, crunchy tone.