Native english speakers, would you help me?

Hi! so I speak in spanish, I can also speak and understand english and that has never been a problem since I joined fiverr, until yestarday. I’m working on a realistic cartoon portrait for a client, yesterday I delivered and he said that ‘‘the nose didn’t look like the picture and that I should add more facial features’’. I fixed the nose and made her face a bit more detailed. Delivered again. His answer was "The drawing nose Doesn’t look like her picture. And I want you to add more Facial features’’. Now I’m confused, I can’t understand what he means by adding facial features, to me it doesn’t make a lot sense but maybe it’s because, as I said, english is not my first lenguaje. You might be thinking that I should contact him and ask for a more specific explanation but communication has been a problem since the beggining, he does not reply to any of my messages. I was gonna adjunt my work and the reference picture here but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to do that. If you guys have any idea on what he could mean with his requests, or what’s your interpretation of it, please let me know! I’m so lost right now.

I’m not native but I think he means it doesn’t look enough like the person you are drawing. Like, try to add more features that are unique to the woman.

at first I thought the same but now I feel like the drawing looks exactly like the picture, like there’s nothing else I could do to make it more similar… I wish I could show you!

at first I thought the same but now I feel like the drawing looks exactly like the picture, like there’s nothing else I could do to make it more similar… I wish I could show you!

I think there is no rule against showing our work on the forum, but it’s better if you don’t, imagine if the guy found out, it could be seen as lack of privacy or whatever… I really hope everything turns out ok, good luck!

Try asking him what features exactly does he want you to add in. As far as my understanding goes, if you feel that your drawing is the best it can be, the buyer might just be trying to scam you by saying that it doesn’t meet his requirements. Assuming that you delivered the photos and the buyer asked for a revision, do you remember how many revisions you offered for the job?

Try asking him what features exactly does he want you to add in. As far as my understanding goes, if you feel that your drawing is the best it can be, the buyer might just be trying to scam you by saying that it doesn’t meet his requirements. Assuming that you delivered the photos and the buyer asked for a revision, do you remember how many revisions you offered for the job?

I offer 2 revisions! and I already tried to ask him about that but he does not reply to any of my messages

So maybe you can just try to add any small improvements to the drawing and deliver it to him once more, since this is the last revision that he’ll get. I’m no expert in this field, but this is how I’d probably handle it, if he doesn’t even take the time to reply.

So maybe you can just try to add any small improvements to the drawing and deliver it to him once more, since this is the last revision that he’ll get. I’m no expert in this field, but this is how I’d probably handle it, if he doesn’t even take the time to reply.

Thank you for the advice! x

Firstly, your English is actually very good. So I don’t think your understanding of the language is the problem. I’m a native British writer and I can understand you perfectly well.

The term ‘facial features’ would normally refer to the eyes, mouth, nose, etc. You obviously can’t add extra noses or eyes (although it would be fun to see your client’s reaction to this!), so I imagine your buyer is referring to the level of detail. Maybe they are looking for a more ‘photo realistic’ image rather than ‘cartoon’?

I’m sorry you’re facing this nightmare, but your level of language is not the issue.

Firstly, your English is actually very good. So I don’t think your understanding of the language is the problem. I’m a native British writer and I can understand you perfectly well.

The term ‘facial features’ would normally refer to the eyes, mouth, nose, etc. You obviously can’t add extra noses or eyes (although it would be fun to see your client’s reaction to this!), so I imagine your buyer is referring to the level of detail. Maybe they are looking for a more ‘photo realistic’ image rather than ‘cartoon’?

I’m sorry you’re facing this nightmare, but your level of language is not the issue.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I’m pretty sure this seller didn’t forget to leave out an eye or lip!

By “features” I think the buyer means details. Like maybe more texture on the face or something like that.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I’m pretty sure this seller didn’t forget to leave out an eye or lip!

By “features” I think the buyer means details. Like maybe more texture on the face or something like that.

Agreed. Although we haven’t seen the quality of work provided to the buyer, if the gig description is ‘realistic cartoon portrait’ - then we can only assume that the balance between ‘cartoon’ and ‘realistic’ isn’t what the buyer was expecting.

Thinking about it, something is troubling me about your gig description… While I think I know what you mean by ‘realistic cartoon’ - the two words are actually completely opposing concepts. A photograph is realistic. A cartoon isn’t.

It’s too late for this case, but maybe the word ‘caricature’ is more suitable than ‘cartoon’? I’m showing my age here, but a cartoon is a very simple drawing like Daffy Duck or Woody The Woodpecker (older sellers please back me up here!). You cannot for one moment say that that those cartoon characters are realistic.

Whereas the word ‘caricature’ suggests a more realistic drawing, albeit with exaggerated features. Maybe there is a better word than ‘caricature’, but I can’t think of one at the moment.

Agreed. Although we haven’t seen the quality of work provided to the buyer, if the gig description is ‘realistic cartoon portrait’ - then we can only assume that the balance between ‘cartoon’ and ‘realistic’ isn’t what the buyer was expecting.

Thinking about it, something is troubling me about your gig description… While I think I know what you mean by ‘realistic cartoon’ - the two words are actually completely opposing concepts. A photograph is realistic. A cartoon isn’t.

It’s too late for this case, but maybe the word ‘caricature’ is more suitable than ‘cartoon’? I’m showing my age here, but a cartoon is a very simple drawing like Daffy Duck or Woody The Woodpecker (older sellers please back me up here!). You cannot for one moment say that that those cartoon characters are realistic.

Whereas the word ‘caricature’ suggests a more realistic drawing, albeit with exaggerated features. Maybe there is a better word than ‘caricature’, but I can’t think of one at the moment.

Scope should explain all that, totally. If you leave things up to the buyer’s interpretation you have little recourse if they don’t like it or it wasn’t what they expected or they expect something that you don’t include. So it’s risky.

but maybe the word ‘caricature’ is more suitable than ‘cartoon’?

Nope. None of the gig images (whatever gig you choose) are caricatures.

Like others have suggested, I’d add more detail and adjust the nose once more. Then put together all 3 versions you’ve done, possibly circle the areas you’ve improved. And add the message where you explain in detail what you’ve changed from one version to the next. Then remind them that you offer 2 rounds of revisions.

People either forget or fail to understand that you’ve never seen the person you’re drawing in real life. You only have a photo. And you’re limited by that and you can only draw resemblance from there. This is where most of “well, this is not my wife’s nose!” issues come from. Even if it’s very much the exact nose from the reference picture.

Good luck with this one.

Like others have suggested, I’d add more detail and adjust the nose once more. Then put together all 3 versions you’ve done, possibly circle the areas you’ve improved. And add the message where you explain in detail what you’ve changed from one version to the next. Then remind them that you offer 2 rounds of revisions.

People either forget or fail to understand that you’ve never seen the person you’re drawing in real life. You only have a photo. And you’re limited by that and you can only draw resemblance from there. This is where most of “well, this is not my wife’s nose!” issues come from. Even if it’s very much the exact nose from the reference picture.

Good luck with this one.

Totally. The only photos I have that show the texture of my face and hair are the professional portraits I had made for my business (one of them is my gig/forum photo).

It’s impossible to have that detail in a photo unless it is super high res with perfect lighting.

I totally understand, this was in fact something I thought about many times, to be honest I find it confusing myself. Many of the sellers that offer similar drawings to mine use those same words to describe them, and personally this is the first time I’m facing an issue like this one, so that’s why I never changed the words. Although I might reconsider doing it. Thank you for the advice!

Good luck with this one.

Thank you (and everyone who commented) for the advice! I already added more detail and fixed the nose, I’ll deliver and hopefully he will like it this time!

I totally understand, this was in fact something I thought about many times, to be honest I find it confusing myself. Many of the sellers that offer similar drawings to mine use those same words to describe them, and personally this is the first time I’m facing an issue like this one, so that’s why I never changed the words. Although I might reconsider doing it. Thank you for the advice!

Definitely. You need to cover yourself against potential misunderstandings otherwise Fiverr would likely favor the buyer if they want to cancel or you could get a bad review or something.

I’m not saying I’m right… and I wouldn’t want you to change your gig description just because of my comment… but I definitely think you should explore in your own mind whether ‘cartoon’ is the best word.

It might well be the best word based on the service you provide. On the other hand, it might be that caricature is better. They do have slightly different meanings.

I’m not saying I’m right… and I wouldn’t want you to change your gig description just because of my comment… but I definitely think you should explore in your own mind whether ‘cartoon’ is the best word.

It might well be the best word based on the service you provide. On the other hand, it might be that caricature is better. They do have slightly different meanings.

On the other hand, it might be that caricature is better.

None of her drawings fit in the definition of what a caricature is. So, using it will be misleading, since it isn’t the service offered by her.

• 1 month later...

Hi! so recently my younger sister created a fiverr account because she wanted to start selling her portraits (same thing as I do, we both make art and she wanted to follow my steps and start selling hers). Some days later I found out that you can’t have two accounts from the same IP and it’s even worse if the two accounts have similar gigs. I started panicking because her account was new and had no sales but I’ve been here for two years and loosing my account would be an actual nightmare. So we inmediately deleted her account, my question is, can I still get in trouble for the fact that the account was created? because it is now desactivated but I’m still worried. Thank you!

Archived