Need help? Don't ask

If you’ve ever been tempted to message a seller on Fiverr.com and:

• ask for free advice,
  • ask for free promotion, and/or
  • ask for free business

…you’re not going to make it.

Firstly, if you don’t know anything about your industry, you’re setting up the wrong gig. Secondly, if you don’t know anything about selling online, YOU need to go learn about it on your own time.

Try the Fiverr.com/academy if you really want to succeed on Fiverr. YOU have to take the initiative to get started and get your first customer. All the information you need is at the Academy. YOU can find the answers to all of your questions if YOU take the time and look.

Other sellers are NOT in the position to train you, hire you, outsource to you, or promote your service in any way.

It’s up to you! Don’t put your success in the hands of someone else. :blush:

:point_up_2: This post wasn’t unprovoked. Sadly, I receive about 3-5 messages a week from people asking for handouts. Occasionally, there’s a seller genuinely just asking for advice but, unfortunately, I don’t have time to get into a long conversation and be their personal coach.

Most of these SPAM messages are from people demanding that I send them customers. They never say “Please,” or “Sorry for wasting your time,” and always come across as quite rude and needy.

I’ve begun to report them because they are clearly unqualified individuals with no motivation to succeed on their own. They do not contribute to the platform in any way.

All the successful sellers I’ve ever talked to experience the same thing and it gets very frustrating when these random messages count against our response rate! Most come from people on the other side of the world, so I receive them in the middle of the night and I’m not able to get to them for hours.

That’s it for the rant :slight_smile:

Do you know what is worrying right now? That out of 42 views, there was only 1 click on the academy link you put in your OP :grimacing: I guess only those of us who don’t spam and who don’t beg to mek sales are the viewers of this thread :confused:

I think this is one of those things that nobody can ever stop from happening, just like spam, infinitely-duplicated threads, dears, etc. :frowning:

Good point @sydneymorgan.

But what I find troubling with Fiverr Academy is that all the good advise is split into so many articles. I wish they merge all the good content into one nice PDF and make available for download. This way we can print and read it like a book cover-to-cover.

Lol! That’s true. People can’t bother to make one damn small click…

P.S: Now there are two clicks. The other one is mine :smile:

I’m tired of all the meksell people asking for advice (more like asking for sales), but I’m also tired of everyone just repeating, over and over again, “go to Fiverr academy”.

It doesn’t work. I’ve read it all, it’s not that great. Mostly common sense. Didn’t improve my results at all. The problem with these sellers is usually one of these three:

1)Terrible English skills
2)No real skills or talent that can be marketed (no, typing and removing backgrounds with the magic wand are not talents or skills)
3)A basic lack of common sense (and inability to learn)

NONE OF THIS will be helped by Fiverr Academy. To be perfectly honest, even the name rubs me the wrong way. Academy? Really? Do you know what an Academy is? Because it certainly isn’t this xD

Do you want to be successful on Fiverr, but don’t know how?

Easy steps:

1. Learn proper English. Enrol in a school if you have to. This is VITAL.
  2. Learn a marketable, sought after skill. Can be anything, and it doesn’t have to be hard. Do your market research.
  3. Outsource. You can always make money by outsourcing even if you have no other skills - your skills, then, will be as a seller, as a client manager. You won’t have to do any other work except managing clients and “employees”. Again, English is vital if you wanna go this route.
  4. See what works, what doesn’t, and adapt constantly. Don’t sell yourself cheap, that’s the worst you can do.

Now, I don’t know if any of these tips are in Fiverr academy or not, but here you go. No need to read tens of articles, this is enough.

Which is why I’ve started recently giving these people a link to @eoinfinnegan’s UpYour series of posts - now THOSE are the real helpers in my opinion :wink: True, they’re quite a read, and these people barely seem to have time to read a paragraph, but… they can’t complain I haven’t given them anything.

Oh, that’s interesting. I’ll definitely check that out, thanks!

I do get them, not wanting to read pages and pages that they can’t even understand properly. They are desperate. Living in difficult places, little to no money, they need to make buck NOW. But it’s the chicken and the egg all over again. With this mentality, they won’t get anywhere. But you can’t really blame them :confused:

You know how to make quite a bit of money quick?
1 -Write an e-book on how to make money on fiverr - condensing the “academy”, those posts you’ve mentioned and other insights into something palatable.
2 - Hire a translator and get it published in all those common languages with these sellers.
3- ???
4 - Profit.

This is what actually caught my interest :thinking:

Anyway, there’ve been plenty of ebooks written throughout the years by other Fiverr sellers who claimed to have written them with the sole intent of helping other sellers make money, but we all know the truth behind the purpose of such ebooks :wink:

They’re not [too] different from those gigs that promise to give you the ultimate solution to make money, except the latter takes less time and effort, albeit with less results.

I think it’s quite a bit different. You are providing a verifiable, valuable service - you are collecting the information (some value in that), adding your insights (value will depend on your skills as a seller), and outsourcing and managing the translation process (most of the value will be derived from here, as that’s clearly what’s lacking). I think it is completely transparent and sound.

Unless you believe that such a book would not help its buyer… In which case telling people to go to “Fiverr Academy” is just absurd.

I might be on to something here, actually. Would you like to work on this with me? I’m a video editor, so I guarantee awesome promotional material! xD

Yeah, my bad here. When I said “They’re not [too] different”, I was actually using the past tense as in “They were”, thus referring to the existing ebooks that have already been written.

So yes, what you’ve suggested is indeed a lot different and could have a tremendous value. But as tempting the idea is, it’s not really something I’d [want to] do.

Yeah, unlike most gigs this is a big initial investment betting everything on the long tail. It’s a gamble :slight_smile:

I am sure the missing number 3 is “Contact the original author of “those posts” and pay them so you can use their work in a commercial venture”.

Fair use is fair use, my friend :slight_smile: Notice I didn’t say “copy” the content…

Fair enough, I thought creatives were a little more fussy about these things but apparently not. Remember that when people take your work, change it a little and then sell it on.

Anyway, the market for “learning how to do Fiverr” is extremely limited. There has been a lot of TRS and high volume level 2s who had gigs offering personalized help for selling on Fiverr - I think they have a combined total of around 300 sales in 5 years. The Mek Sell market does not exist as it requires people who are willing to actually pay for advice. The real market is for Level 2 sellers, these are people who have made some money, see the potential and want to step things up to make a proper living from it. “Those posts” were written as blog/forum friendly versions of my own book which will be published at some point when I can get back to it. It’s probably a good sign that the guy trying to write a “Fiverr Success Manual” is too busy with orders to actually write it :smiley:

Yeah, I also posted this idea more as a joke than something I can actually justify spending time doing. The orders pay better :slight_smile:

And I’m a creative of the internet age. Everything is recycled, changed, passed on. What you are selling, above anything else, is your brand, not the work itself.

It’s not as limited as you might think. There is a lot of business for this outside of Fiverr. Go to Udemy and type in Fiverr and see what comes up. A lot of it is mindless drivel.
I know unfortunately because I’ve had several sellers on there ask me give them glowing reviews for their stuff. A lot of what they suggest is either nonsense, will get you banned (buying reviews & other stupidity) or is from Captain Obvious.

I’ve considered taking on similar projects in the past on the side, but people have hit the nail on the head: the sort of sellers who are asking for free business from other sellers will not be willing to pay for a course, no matter how helpful it is.

Of course, there are many people on sites like Udemy and the like who do purchase courses, but ultimately I think most of them are looking for a quick solution (like most people on the internet) and will take out their frustrations in the form of negative reviews when they don’t instantly start making sales.

The idea still tempts me sometimes, but I’ve never pursued it myself. If you’ve got the time to do it, I say go for it because you would be offering some really valuable insight and I bet it will be nicely put together! :slight_smile: