Fiverr Forum

Need some help with a /really/ pedantic buyer!

Gears are being grinded. Basically, I’ve been working with a buyer for a few weeks now. She orders things outside of the realms of what I offer (I offer to draw people, she orders backgrounds and scenes), but since I’ve done some work for her before, I decided to go with it. I don’t mind because I’ve done similar work for other buyers and they’ve been happy with the product.

Now, she’s kinda rude. As in, she never says please or thank you. I always send a sketch for confirmation before I begin, and her responses are sharp, direct “move this. Make this better. Put more detail into this. This could be better - change it. You should know to include this, even though I have never mentioned it before.” She even has a go at me because of how I name my files! If she orders three pieces, I will name them ‘one’, ‘two’ and ‘three’, as you do - but she’s like “that’s not how /I/ am organising the work you are doing for me. Name them like this.” The language she uses is incredibly patronising and I can’t help the irked curl of my lip when I read her messages. Also, when I’m working on the order, I will get ‘how’s my order?’ ‘Is my order done yet?’ all the time. My deadline is 3 days, but if you read it you’d think that I’d vanished off the face of the earth.

As an addition, I always offer free adjustments at the end of an order - for example, if I’ve done the wrong eye-colour or mistaken an instruction, I’ll happily alter it. This woman is dogged. Not moments after I’ve delivered, I will get the ‘has rejected order’ email. “This colour is /slightly/ one shade lighter than the colour I want it to be. Alter it.” or “flip this whole thing round.” or “recolour the whole picture. I don’t like it.” and then naturally “actually, change it all back.” I get about six ‘rejected order’ emails for every order she places.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I just supposed to endure it?

ok didn’t read the comments, but you could clearly sate in the gig, two free editsw then add a gig extra for each above that…your time is valuable!

Hahaha! As I wrote this I got another two ‘rejected order’ emails.

Jist: I sent you the picture of a sign and told you to draw it. You drew it, but what I didn’t say was that I wanted the colours inverted and darker. Re-do it.

And again

@boslass

People don’t have to be nice, or say please or thank you. Put that aside and don’t let it trouble you any more.

The next time this person contacts you, just send them a reply that says, “Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately I don’t have a gig for what you are looking for. Please type (keyword) into the search box and I’m sure you will find other buyers offering what you seek. Thanks! :)”

Reply to @voiceoverwork: I know - that really gets to me :’) I was hoping that no one would mention it, but it does seem to be something I’m going to have to accept.

Gotcha! Usually they order without speaking to me first, but if I get the option, then I will!

Reply to @madmoo: Your advice never fails to make me grin! :smiley: Sure, that definitely sounds doable. Thank you very much!

I second madmoo’s advice, except I would wait to let her know I don’t want to work with her again until AFTER she’s marked it as complete.

She may take offense and refuse to complete the order, which would bring on a plethora of other problems.

Personally, I’d send a message along these lines (after it’s been marked as complete, of course):

Hi, there! Thank you for your positive feedback and all the support you’ve shown me and my work. It really means a lot to me and I appreciate it! It makes me really happy when I’ve finally delivered a product that you’re satisfied with. :slight_smile: However, I do spend a lot of time on each of your drawings (much more than average) and unfortunately, I only get $3.92 after Fiverr and Paypal take their cut. Because of this, I will have to respectfully decline future orders from you as I may not be the best person for your jobs. There are many talented Fiverr artists that I believe can cater to your requests much better and faster than I can. :slight_smile: Again, thank you for your support and I do wish you the best of luck!

Something like that. If you make it sound like part of the blame is on you (“I may not be the best person for your job”), it doesn’t sound like you’re putting the blame all on her and you come across more humble and polite than "You’re hard to work with so I don’t want to work with you anymore."

Just my take on this anyways. =]

Reply to @rinchan86: Good response. Always coat that Drano in honey. :wink:

Reply to @rinchan86: after receiving another rejected order and request for modification (she asked me to change the sketch during the sketch stage two days ago, but now that I’ve spent ages on the modified sketch and finally finished the picture, she actually wants to have it back as it was in the initial sketch - something about her naturally leaning one way and me not covering that in the modified sketch) I fear I’ll have to take your advise. I was a little iffy on the idea of basically saying ‘no’ at first, but it’s something I’m going to have to do. I won’t be drawing a whole new picture because she didn’t take it into account in the sketch stage. Thank you for offering such a diplomatic template for my message! Really appreciated :slight_smile:

D’awww. You guys give me far to much credit. :">

Best of luck @boslass! Hopefully, it’ll blow over soon and she’ll understand. :slight_smile:

boslass said: but if you read it you'd think that I'd vanished off the face of the earth.
Tooo funny! :) You're much more even-tempered than I. As a Jamaican, some 'raas' and 'bloodclaats' would've probably made into the correspondence after awhile. *Kidding* :)

If there is a next time, with this client or anyone else... 'woo sah' it out. Go to your Zen place.

http://fiverr.com/trulala

Haha, I’d complete the order, and then send her the link to this thread and tell her you no longer want to work with her. But don’t listen to me, this is probably why my rating is at like 70% or something. Hope you get this resolved, good luck!

One: Ignore her attitude and remain professional and polite to her at all times! This not only to make you appear more professional and polite than her, and it will show her that her attitude isn’t getting to you. Some people are just bullies, some a just not tech savy. Either way if you left her attitude, or messages get to you… they will! Then, you’re just going to be upset and that’s no good! Literally ignore her bad attitude, do not call it out, or bring attention to it (she’ll know you’ve noticed it, which is what people go after).

This is also a HUGE benefit for you come CS time, and screen shots. You won’t have a good defence if you’re losing your cool right back at her.

Two: Personal taste is not grounds for rejection. If you sent her the first delivery according to her original specs then no problem! Just deliver the work again along with this message…

"And please be advise, do not reject this delivery again, as there are no grounds for it as per Fiverr’s policy: “Continued false rejections will remove this feature from your account, and may get your account restricted from other benefits.” Refer to http://support.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/200051156-How-to-make-sure-you-get-what-you-paid-for"

Don’t let yourself be bullied, know the Terms Of Service (it states a no tolerance for harassment) and if they keep being rude remind them (politely and professional) about the terms: "Posting or sending adult, illegal, rude, abusive, improper, copyright protected, promotional, spam, violent, nonsense or any uncool stuff is strictly prohibited. Doing so will get your account blocked permanently."

If they’re being rude and abusive, let CS know! Best of luck to you!

Reply to @thepromogirl: Your quoted paragraph is spot on! Not to mention I’ve seen sellers who counterattack buyers with nasty attitudes and then run to CS with a complaint only to have CS ignore them because the seller is also guilty of harassment. NEVER, EVER be rude. Kill them with kindness. It’s the worst “death”. :slight_smile:

Reply to @thepromogirl: Wooh! You’re a font of knowledge! :smiley: Thank you!

Welcome to the terrible world of customer service. The buyer doesn’t need to like you, doesn’t need to be nice, and isn’t required to leave feedback. I had a run in with something on the order of what you have shared — really… if they pay, even after such grief, at least they can be satisfied at some point and will eventually give a green light to their project. If this is too much of a merry-go-round for your tastes due to her " Diva-status" , then simply decline further service. ( And believe me, that does sound like she’s a self-Diva of some kind!). When she contacts, just simply imply you are either busy, can’t find the time to do the project, or some form of a cordial answer. I am going to bet if your work is that good for her to return again and again, the tone will either change or she will be persistent in obtaining your services. In my case it was someone who wanted a whole novel examined and fixed, but when I couldn’t provide a " free " sample ( They wanted 10 pages free!), I was suddenly a non-serious editor… right… well if you can find someone of quality to fix your 365 page book for peanuts, be my guest and good luck with it. What else is there to say? They either like what they see, or they don’t order — end of story. No sweat off of your back, when one leaves, another will arrive if your work is good and your professionalism is consistent.

From my point of view you have completed the order and delivered it. If she doesn’t mark it as complete, just deliver it again. And again. And again. She can’t expect the sun and the moon for five dollars and besides you’ve already done numerous of revisions and changes. The worst thing that can happen is that she leaves you a bad review but SHE is the one that will appear as stupid cause what will she say in the negative feedback? That you wouldn’t do fifty revisions? Really? REALLY?

Save you the headache and just stand your ground